“Lovely Little Park” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dead Horse Ranch State Park

Dead Horse Ranch State Park
Ranked #3 of 34 things to do in Cottonwood
More attraction details
Owner description: A scenic park that belies its ominous name and is best known for bird watching, camping, canoeing, hiking and horseback riding.
St. Augustine, Florida
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Lovely Little Park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2014

We visited Dead Horse Ranch State Park as a day trip from Sedona on the advice of a friend from my aerobics class who used to live in the area. She is a fellow birder, and this was one of her favorite birding sites when she lived in Arizona.

We set out early on a beautiful April morning and headed straight for the Verde River trail. This fairly flat trail was an easy walk through an area that is left in its natural state.

My friend was not wrong. We were immediately surrounded by happy birds welcoming the day. Of course, being from the other side of the country, we didn’t recognize some of them, but we enjoyed their enthusiastic songs and joyful antics.

Later, we explored the park and discovered it to be a lovely, relaxing place full of beautiful cottonwoods and lovely lagoons. We were lulled into a state of total bliss in this peaceful and beautifully maintained place and lingered far longer than we had intended, just enjoying the solitude. (I’m sure it’s much busier on the weekends and in season.)

Now, don’t laugh, but my favorite part of the park was the restrooms. Normally, I will go all day and suffer in misery before I’ll use a park restroom. But at hubby’s encouragement upon his return from such a visit, I ventured forth. NEVER have I seen a cleaner facility! I almost cried! But I shouldn’t have been surprised. The entire park was impeccably maintained.

Since we didn’t camp, I can’t speak to that firsthand, but the campers all seemed happy and content. I would encourage you to visit this little gem to enjoy some quiet time, and if you’re a birder, you will be doubly glad you visited.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank AKLover

Escalante, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Some of the best mountain biking you can do...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

Came here to hit some mountain bike trails. I was flabbergasted. I had so much fun on these trails and there were more than I couldn't fit in to our trip. The people that built these trails were obviously avid bikers and cared about the environment as well. We were in town to visit Sedona, but DHRSP and the local Pizza place Bocce kind of stole the show from the Red Rocks!!!!

Visited April 2014
Cottonwood, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Hidden Jewel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

Dead Horse is a great day camp site as well as full hookup camping. There are cabins for rent, ranger activities, fishing and horseback riding. Kids of all ages love it!

Glendale, Arizona
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“A quiet day at a great park”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

We stopped in for a barbeque lunch and stayed for over three hours. We walked around the two lagoons where we observed a Great Blue Heron standing on the shoreline waiting for a chance to snag a fisherman's stray catch, and then settled down for lunch. Each ramada has a barbeque grill and plenty of tables (Our ramada had four tables. Probably seating up 32 or more in our ramada alone). A very quiet park overall, with the exception of the occasional children. By the number annual passes we saw on rear-view mirrors we could see that this park is very popular with the locals as well.

Tempe, Arizona
“Nice Walking Paths”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Enjoyed N.AZ weather walking on their paths and ponds. Dog Maggie enjoyed it more then me with the ducks