“Unexpected delight”

Cuisines: American
Tucson, AZ
“Unexpected delight”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Driving Hwy191 and hungry but bypassed larger Morenci to continue heading south. Not sure if we would find anything in tiny Clifton on a Sunday afternoon but glad to spot the bright (though fake) flowers marking PJs. Definitely your typical Americana diner but tastefully done and very clean. Menu is half Mexican and half American, a good selection of plain but good fare. We LOVE Mexican food and eat it all the time in our southern AZ hometown, so feel well-qualified to give this a definite thumbs up. Chips were crisp and crunchy, not like triangles of cardboard, and the salsa had just the right medium on the mild side kick for me, not too tomatoey nor too firey. My chicken enchilada had a really wonderful green chili sauce with fresh-tasting, tender chunks of chicken and steaming, fluffy Spanish rice. My husband had no complaints about his burro. We noticed the ;Homemade Pie Today; board when we walked in the door and this was the clincher. This is where they go fancy: cranapple, chocolate pecan, and my choice--raspberry chocolate cheese pie; that's all I can remember but several more and none of the usual plain apple or cherry. This place is worth looking for on the highway!

• Visited October 2013