“I go back every year!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 31 Hotels in Chandler
San Tan Valley, Arizona
“I go back every year!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

The hotel section of the resort has recently been renovated - beautiful. The golf course is in process of being renovated. I look forward each year to staying hear for a few days. I like the layout, the walkways are situated to receive the most cooling breezes. The staff is warm and welcoming. The bar has been moved from being connected to the restaurant to the lobby. I like that location better. It is a historic landmark located in downtown Chandler with many good places to eat in walking distance and not very far from the nearest freeway. For the price, it is a very good deal.

Room Tip: If you want quiet book the 4th floor. If you want to be close to downtown book on the east side. To...
    • 4 of 5 stars
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for reviewing the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort following your recent stay.
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our recently renovated resort, our staff, and convenient location. We hope to see you back again next year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

the building looks very nice from outside it is also located in the best location - right in downtown but for me - the staff were not welcoming at all and in the morning i've found a live cockroach on the bath floor - non of the staff apologized or felt bad about it - didn't like that at all
also - not so clean apparently
the price was 200$ which is pretty high for such return

Room Tip: find a room without cockroach
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback following your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. Please allow me to express my apology regarding your poor customer service experience and the condition of your bathroom. This is certainly not our usual high standard of guest experience that we offer. We will be certain to address these issues with the appropriate staff members. Once again, thank you for your comments as this is crucial for us to improve the services that we offer.
Ghent, Belgium
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

The Crowne Plaza, San Marcos, in Chandler AZ is a hotel used by my colleagues for years. The general feeling is of a hotel in decline. I stayed here 10 years ago (more or less 2004) and again in April 2014. It's big, has most facilities you would want, and friendly. But many parts are shabby, a little dirty, and the whole place could just use renovating.

PROS:

Downtown location with local bars & restaurants
Very friendly and helpful staff
Large room

CONS:

Lots of little things
No toiletries in bathroom on first day
Trash not emptied twice
Old and stained fittings in the bathroom
Broken equipment in fitness room
Extremely noisy air con
Colleague complained of sink not emptying properly

It is by no means a terrible hotel, but there are better ones in Chandler, which we will switch to next time.

• 4 of 5 stars
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our downtown location, large rooms and our staff.
But please allow me to apologize for the items you listed as cons. These items will be addressed with the appropriate team members.
Your comments are valuable to us and if you would like to discuss this further, please feel free to contact the hotel directly.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

What a title!! I rated this place very good, but complained about the halls and the breakfasts.

Let's talk about the hotel itself. The hotel is fine. On the 4th floor there was a lot of bird droppings that had been there for a while and I didn't like walking or dragging my luggage through. The room was great, however. I liked the room and the bed. Nice room.

My room came with a free breakfast and not to complain about a FREE breakfast, but the scrambled eggs were just totally overcooked, and brown and without any moisture. I complained about the eggs, but the staff seemed unmoved over the butchered eggs. Clearly someone who has little cooking experience made those eggs. Also, the breakfast buffet was a little lacking. A free breakfast is OK, but they can do so much better.

Lastly, I found Lisa at the front desk to be very helpful and somewhat of a great person. Thus, my hats off to Lisa. A few issues, but OK. Also, the pool and whirlpool are A +

Hope this helps

1 Thank 678855
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for posting a review of your stay at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort.
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our newly renovated guestrooms, pool and whirlpool. We will be sure to pass along your kind comments to Lisa. Our F&B Director and Executive Housekeeper will be addressing your comments regarding our breakfast offerings and hallway cleanliness.
Thank you again and we appreciate your comments as we endeavor to improve our guest experience at our resort.
Sheridan, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

The staff was great and the hotel was very clean. Rooms are very large! The area was perfect for dinning and cocktails less than a block away. The only thing to be aware of is about a 12$ per day resort fee. But it is well worth it.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2014
Thank you for reviewing your stay with us at the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort. We were so glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to seeing you back soon.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

The resort itself seemed reasonable for the price. The room was great and the bed was really comfortable..I even loved the pillows! But our room was on the corner of the resort, literally a five second walk from an extremely loud bar. If I was 18 and like to party, sure, that would have been great. But the room was definitely not sound proof. I could hear all the people and of course the band. So unfortunately I didn't sleep the two nights we stayed and was extremely pissed off.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest side of the resort for the rooms!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MandaBel
We were pleased to read that you enjoyed our recently remodeled guestroom. But please allow me to offer my apology for the noise that you experienced from the nearby restaurant. Feel free to contact us directly for your next stay and we ensure your guestroom is in a more quiet location.
South Bend, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

We've stayed at many Crowne Plaza hotels. To be fair to people considering this one, it's the worst of them all. As a Platinum IHG member, we spend many nights in various IHG branded properties. We do so because we have come to expect certain things and are rarely disappointed. Consistency is their hallmark. This property did not meet those expectations.

The front desk people were not welcoming. We arrived 9pm-ish. Apparently we had interrupted something going on in the back room. It is my first recollection of not being thanked for my business at an IHG Property. My presence at the checkin desk was an obvious annoyance. I am an early riser and each morning I would go to the welcoming lobby to read while waiting for breakfast. On two mornings I was told to leave as it was for hotel guests only. They were non-apologetic when I gave them my room number which I know shows my elite status. That was demeaning!

The breakfast buffet was really poorly done in the restaurant. Thankfully we had coupons each day and could order a freshly cooked meal or we would have gone elsewhere. One of the breakfast wait staff was so loud that it was annoying. She waited on us one morning and was simply rude. The hostess seemed irritated that she had to stop her leaning and show us to a table. We asked for a different table as many were open, "Just sit wherever you want!" she snapped back and walked away. Others were treated similarly. Not sure she was even awake. It was bizarre.

The carpets in our room were filthy, no nice way to say it. We used a whole bottle of Shout treating our socks when we got home. Have NEVER been in such a dirty room at any IHG property. The room amenities were nice. We had a nicely tiled walk-in shower as well as a shower tub.

The original building is beautiful and historic. The lobby, bar and restaurant are architectural classics. The pool area is relaxing and welcoming. There is NOT a Starbucks on the property. There is a coffee shop that brews Starbucks coffee. $3.09 is what I paid for a grande coffee! Thankfully there are a good number of excellent eating choices within a few minutes walk as we had no intention of paying for anything at the hotel restaurant, not given our breakfast experiences.

It is a golf resort hotel. We don't golf. We expected far better. We were here 5 nights. If it had not been so convenient for the wedding activities that brought us to the Phoenix area we would certainly have moved. I rarely have negative things to say about my IHG experiences. It bothers me to write such a negative review but it is what we experienced. I hope it makes it better for others.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Paul G, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Phoenix - Chandler Golf Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to review the Crowne Plaza San Marcos Golf Resort following your recent stay and advising us of your dissatisfaction. We were very disappointed to read your comments.
Please accept my sincere apology for the manner in which you were treated by our staff and the condition of your guestroom carpet. We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities and it appears we fell far short of our goal. This is by no means how we want you or any of our guests to remember a stay with us. We will be coaching our staff to better understand the importance of our Rewards Club Members and will continue to strive for improvement.
If you would like to discuss this directly, please feel free to contact the hotel.