“best Japanese food, best sushi~”
Review of Shimogamo

Shimogamo
Reserve with OpenTable
Shimogamo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 664 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: N Dobson Rd
Chengdu, China
“best Japanese food, best sushi~”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have been to Shimogamo for several times to enjoy the best Japanese food when I was travel in Chandler.

• Visited September 2013

Chandler, Arizona
“Great Sushi, Great Atmosphere”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We have dined at Shimogamo three times and every time we are very pleased. During one of our visits we had a large party (14 people) and reserved their back room. It was excellent. It was nice being in our own space to visit with each other and to not worry about other restaurant patrons. Service is always excellent. Not only is the sushi very good but their Japanese dishes are excellent as well. Its location is easy to miss, its nestled next to C-Fu Gourmet. But seek it out, you won't be disappointed!

• Visited August 2013
Ahwatukee, Arizona, United States
“Incredible Sashimi!”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

For months I have tried to book a weekend table at Shimogamo Japanese Restaurant in Chandler, but one was never available before 8 p.m., so when I tried in the middle of a week and saw openings I grabbed one. What is the mystery about this restaurant?

We received a nice welcome and with our reservations in order we were quickly seated. This is a small restaurant with an active sushi bar, so my guess is that tables are booked well in advance as this restaurant seems to have a loyal following. I was a little concerned about the sushi bar as the sushi chefs were Anglos and busy jib-jabbing as they worked. A little too noisy for me and besides what do these guys know about sashimi/sushi?

The menu was nicely diversified and since I came for sashimi, I limited myself to the other selections. My wife and I both enjoyed the House salad which was a combination of mixed greens, onion, carrots and bean curd mixed in a very nice miso dressing as well as a Miso soup. From there I moved on to Fried Oysters that were Panko breaded and served with home-made Worcestershire sauce and creamy dill-tar tar sauce. These were nice, but I would have been much happier if they were done yakitori style. I find that when Panko breaded, they simply become too large.

My wife, who does not enjoy sashimi, selected a Chicken Cutlet which was also Panko-breaded, deep fried and served with Tonkatsu sauce. While she indicated she enjoyed the cutlet, I sensed that the Panko breading overwhelmed her. Again, yakitori for the choice of the chicken would have been preferred.

The star for the evening was the three types of sashimi; tuna, yellowtail and a white fish. Simply incredible. This compared well to the sashimi I enjoyed over the years working in Tokyo. This is world class sashimi! Hard to believe that this restaurant has been under my radar. Now I know why they have such a fan base. It is difficult to find sashimi of this quality in Arizona.

We will be back……….frequently.

• Visited July 2014
Tempe, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best Sushi in AZ”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

The best Nigiri Sushi, Sushi rolls, Sashimi and small Japanese dishes in Arizona! My friends from Japan, when they're taking a break from steak, only go to Shimogamo for its authenticity, high quality and utterly delicious menu! I go on many special occasions.

• Visited May 2014
Chandler, Arizona
“Yum”
Reviewed May 14, 2014

Fresh, delicious, and great atmosphere. We came in for birthday dinner and were not at all disappointed!!

• Visited May 2014