“The whole place seems "meh"”

Valle Luna Mexican Restaurant - Chandler
Ranked #27 of 678 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The service in this restaurant is lackluster. The food is mediocre. The drinks are a bit pricey for the location and kind-of run down feel of the place. We have eaten here a couple times with friends and we have left disappointed each time.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

Consistent Sonoran food. Seated after very short wait . Our server, Gloria, was brand new to the venue (first day), but gave consistent and prompt, friendly service. She is a youthful grandma and sub teacher and has a great attitude. Wife had fish tacos and I had a pork chimi w/ black beans and rice. We had Dos Equis beer and flan, which is excellent, for dessert. Valle Luna has kept up it's high standards for at least the twelve years we have been eating there.
If you want a good Mexican meal in a family atmosphere, this is a good choice,

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Always get the same thing, green corn tamales, but everything is great. The bean dip is a little thin sometimes, but I love their salsa. WE love to sit out on the patio.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The above title expresses my husband's criteria for a five star rating. Me, I am a little more demanding. Out- of-towners, we went to Valle Luna with some rels who had been out of the country for a month and were suffering from the lack of their usual Mexican fare. We had a good time catching up and I must admit, the margaritas were big for the happy hour price.

We also ordered some small plates: guacamole, chicken wings, a basket of beef tacos, and a quesadilla. My husband and I were going to my sister's place for tacos for dinner so we were thinking of this as aperitivos. Yeah, right. Three baskets of chips later, I was full before the food arrived. The chips were good and I did enjoy to the beans that came with the salsa. The guac...kind of tasteless, I thought and the chicken wings dried out.

The cheese quesadilla was fine especially when topped with their salsas and beans. Did I mention the margaritas were big and delicious?

Can't report on the tacos as I didn't try them but they got rave reviews from the rels and we didn't leave any behind.

For a fun place for conversation and some good margaritas and inexpensive "aperitivos" try Valle Luna. It seems to be a favorite for many.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I realize this restaurant is very popular so maybe I was just one of an unlucky few, but I was disappointed. We sat in the bar area because the wait for a table was pretty long. The server in the bar area was quick to say she'd remove us from the waiting list and serve us dinner but she didn't seem to have the time to wait on us either. I ordered fajitas and they were just so-so, very heavy on the onions and just a few pieces of pepper and steak. They serve fajitas with 2 wedges of tomato and one of mine had a visibly rotten spot on it the size of a dime. I would have complained but that would have required our server to return before I gave up. By the time I saw her again I was just looking for a refill on my tea.

I'd give the place a second chance if it were more conveniently located for me. As it is, I am unlikely to be back.

1  Thank SUSAN G