“Pies and Pies and Pies”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff
Phoenix
“Pies and Pies and Pies”
Reviewed March 4, 2014

This place could just be SO much more than it is....it focuses on the pies but I wasn't that impressed with the pies. the decorating....not that great just average. the menu is geared more toward older adult and just average. It's a nice enough neighborhood place but nothing outstanding.

Visited March 2014

Sequim, Washington
“The best butterscotch pie ever”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

This is an unpretentious place. The food is homestyle and portions are generous. A great value. The pies are worth going for every day. 30 varieties. If you are expecting the lemon, butterscotch, or other cream pies made from pudding mixes, you'll be disappointed. But if you are expecting the real homemade version without the added colorings and fillers, you'll be in heaven.

Sunday Brunch is a great deal and the prime rib was perfectly cooked.

• Visited January 2014
Independence, Missouri
“If there was a negative rating I would give it.”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

I literally just drove in from Kansas City to spend Christmas with my mother. She was so excited to visit this restaurant and just knew it would be good as it had been packed when she scoped out the place in earlier weeks.

We should have walked out as soon as we walked in as the signs were all there. We arrived at 4:45 and no one was there to greet us as the crew was hanging out in back. The pie shelf was basically empty and this is supposed to be a pie place. There was only one couple in the place so there was no excuse for poor service and lack of pie presence.

We decided to forge ahead because it was a new business and maybe a meeting was taking place. Again no excuse but sometimes you stumble before learning to run. So we sat ourselves but not before passing a couple of tables that were dirty. No excuse, again there was only one couple in the place and I counted at least 5 employees on shift.

The booth we sat at had what looked like a cigarette burn. Then the table itself was dirty and we cleaned it ourselves. My mother ordered the Pecan Burger to be cooked at a medium setting. I ordered the Pecan BLT and bacon macaroni.

In no time at all the food was served. I thought for a moment that the food came out very quickly and therefore the food in general would be cold. I was pleasantly surprised with my BLT and my mom's fries but that is where the satisfaction ended. My mac and cheese was luke warm and tasted as if it sat there for a while. The experience continued to slide down the scale of dissatisfaction with the next discovery of poor service.

The intolerable act of poor, no poor service is not an illustrative enough description but rather deplorable service was with respect to my mother's burger. She ordered her burger to be cooked medium. Not medium rare, not pink, the burger was to be cooked just plain old medium. The burger unfortunately was darn near rare, hence the reason the food came out early.

When the waitress approached us and asked about the food we explained that the burger was rare. She offered to remake the burger but my mother passed because all trust in food preparation was gone. That is where the concern ended.

Although I left a tip solely in the spirit of the season it certainly was not earned. There was absolutely no offer to take the burger off the bill or even have the manager come over to visit about the incident.

By the way if one is curious about what temperature food should be cooked at, you can verify here; http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/charts/mintemp.html

Sometimes we can be overly sensitive about matters when it involves our parents or kids and I might initially chalk this experience up to that. But after contemplating this review I believe my concern is based more on my experience and the concern that I have for the overall food preparation and cleanliness of the establishment.

I am very disappointed that there appears to be no concern for customer service, food safety or just about anything in general. The food is blasé, the decor is disjointed and the customer service is almost non-existent. Three strikes and this Kansas Citian is out and will not be back.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank Kcbankruptcy
South Hadley, Massachusetts
“Huge selection of super fun pies”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I went here with my dad and aunts and uncles one night for dessert. This place is more mainstream than is usually my style, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Everyone I was eating with was in the 65 to 75 years old range, so we had a lot of special requests with regard to seating, drinks, silverware, and separate checks, and the superb wait staff accommodated us on everything. I'm generally more of a cake person than a pie person, but their extensive list of super fun pies is enough to get anyone excited about a slice. I asked the waitress for a recommendation, and she told me her favorite was some combination of their chocolate cream pie and their peanut butter cup pie, and she had them make a slice up special for me: it involved taking the top layer off one piece of pie and putting it on the bottom layer of another. It was fantastic. They also had a nice herbal tea selection, which I appreciated.

• Visited August 2013
Sun Lakes, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Way too expensive”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

The food was expensive and nothing special. Pies were very expensive and not worth it. Bad location. Will not go back.

Visited July 2013