“Fake BBQ”

Dining options: Delivery
Chandler, AZ
“Fake BBQ”
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I LOVE good BBQ, and am always willing to try new places. The Chandler location does not actually cook BBQ. They only reheat it. which often causes the meat to dry out. When you walk in they explain that it is cafeteria style, and you just ask for what you want. I got their mountain picnic, which was 2 pounds of meat, 2 big sides, 1 med cobbler, bread, and a bottle of sauce. Even with a $10 off coupon it was still over $31dollars.

Many of the meats looked very dry. My wife wanted the chicken breast meat, which were large boneless breasts that had been smoked. If you go don't pick the breast meat because the other option was a whole chicken. I think the box of breast meat was only 2 breasts, so the whole chicken is a better deal. The meat had a good smoky flavor, but it did taste like they used liquid smoke. Because they only reheat it and then put it in a warming try it was VERY dry. The pulled pork I got was very good. They do not pre-sauce the meat, so it still had a great smoky taste. The pork was not dried out like most of the rest of the meat looked. I may go back only for the pork. They had HUGE beef ribs that looked good, but at $6.99 each rib I don't think so.

The rest of the food was like BAD cafeteria food. We got the Mac n Cheese and Cole slaw. The Mac n Cheese tasted like canned cheese sauce, and the Cole Slaw was VERY bitter, like they had added the core from the cabbage. Most of the trays of sides dishes were huge and uncovered. They looked like they had been sitting for a while. The Peach Cobbler tasted like canned peaches, and bisquick. They offer dinner rolls, or jalapeno cornbread muffins. We got both, and neither were good. The bottle of spicy sauce was pretty good. It is a strong vinegar based sauce with not that much heat.

On my way out I stopped to look at the Jerky they sell. They offered a sample, but the host didn't know how to make a sample. The kid had to ask how to do a sample. They told him to cut off a small piece and give it to me, so he grabbed a butter knife to try and cut thick sliced jerky. It was funny to watch. I tried the spicy jerky that had lots of red pepper on it. The tasted was good, and it had a decent chew. It's not worth $26/lb though.

This place is right across the street from Rudy's BBQ, which is the same cafeteria style overpriced food. I tried Rudy's twice here, and twice in New Mexico. I was not impressed at all with anything I tried. After my first trip here I can't say it is much better. I guess we will go back to HoneyBears or Dave's for BBQ.

• Visited September 2012

Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Seemed overcooked and dry”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Maybe I came on an off day, or was late to the dinner bell. The portions were smaller than expected, and the meat was very dry. I wasn't even going to try the shriveled nasty looking corn cob. I haven't completely written them off. I will give them another shot.

• Visited July 2012
Mesa
“Overpriced BBQ”
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

First time here, gave it a try and Will NOT return! Compared to other BBQ places, this one is way overpriced and not enough food on the plate,I was shocked to see the amount of food on my plate, it might feed a 12 year old but Not an adult!.
The ribs are not that great, and not worth the time and money.

Chandler,
“Best homemade cherry pie!!”
Reviewed June 21, 2012

We went there for a BBQ dinner, and found the best cherry pie! We ordered the sample platter so we could try 6 items. I liked the carnitas the best but all the meats were fabulous! Not just the typical sides like cole slaw and potato salad, the selection included mustard greens, green beans, and carrots, and homemade cobbler and pie. And you can see everything through the cafeteria style line as you order. Great atmosphere, extremely pleasant staff, and the manager even stopped by our table to make sure we were well taken care of.

• Visited June 2012
Chandler, AZ
“Nice Mothers Day Surprise”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

I was pleasantly surprised by this Restaurant. The food was good and reasonably priced.