“A pleasant surprise”

Ocean Blue Caribbean Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #123 of 676 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed May 30, 2014

We had a Groupon for this restaurant, so we decided to give it a try on a Thursday night with another couple.
It's small and simple inside with a couple of tables outside.
We had the jerk shrimp appetizer which was very good. A nice spicy warm sauce accompanied the shrimp which were perfectly cooked.
Next up - jerk chicken wings, curry goat and a 1/4 jerk chicken. Hubby said the goat had a few tough pieces, but overall, was quite good. Red beans and rice were good, but were missing something that I just couldn't put my fingers on (I tried salt, but that wasn't it). The Jamaican cabbage is boiled but I was told it was very good. We loved the Festivals....think corn bread/fry bread. It's a dough that is squeezed into hot grease and fried until golden brown. Tasty!
Overall, we had a good experience and would definitely give this place another try.
The restaurant was 1/2 to 3/4 full and the service was very good. Nothing is rushed....is Jamaica, life is slow where it's "no problem".

1  Thank Charlene C

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Awesome, authentic Jamaican food in a strip mall?...Yeah mon! I love this place. I don't have anything like it where I live so I make a point of going here when I visit the Phoenix area.
Best jerk chicken outside of Scotchies in Jamaica. I have also tried the Jamaican patties and they are the real deal. Sides of rice and peas, festival (a fried bread I've only had in Jamaica), and plantains were equally as good.
This place is small, but the cozy brightly colored interior with a basic tiki hut bar, Bob Marley posters, and reggae music overhead made me feel Jamaican for a while.
Service is summed as being typical Jamaican "soon come" time frame. The bartender/server is courteous and quiet but more than willing to talk if you start up a conversation. Just enjoy a couple of Red Stripes while you're waiting and everyting Irie.
My only request is that you please have the Jamaican patties in stock-love those things.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Restaurant is small but has a fun atmosphere, great authentic food and friendly staff. We had the jerk chick and curried goat (both were really tasty) and our 13 year old had the curried shrimp and festival (he loved the festival, it is kind of like a sugary cornbread). Bar area was setup like a little straw hut...very cute! :)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is a small restaurant with very simple decor, bamboo mats and thatched hangings at the bar. The bar menu is nothing to shout about. There was only one server and he attended to the bar too when we were there, on a Saturday night.

Between the two of us, we had a $40 of credit to spend so we ordered the $20 top of the line combo plates. I had curry goat, Oxtail and jerk chicken. My wife had the same except for shrimp skewer instead of the chicken.

The goat curry was very tasty, spicy but not overpowering. There was very little meat and a lot of bones. The gravy was an excellent complement to the bean and rice. The oxtail, like oxtails, do not have a lot of meat either and I had like 4 thin little pieces. It is cooked in a dark brown gravy that tasted similar to the McCormick's brown gravy mix, only much better. The jerk chicken was excellent. The rib in breast meat was surprisingly moist and the jerk seasoning was simply pleasing. It comes with a spicy jerk sauce that complemented the chicken very well. The shrimp skewer is ordinary. Small shrimp kebob with slices of bell pepper and a chili sauce. Tasted OK but nothing special to talk about.

In summary, this is a simple restaurant that has nothing else to offer except good food. The portions are miserly. For $20, I expected to doggy bag some but we ate our plates clean. They also factored in an 18% gratuity when we got the check and that is a first for us. Still I would come back because the food is good and when I can afford it.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Ocean Blue may be small, (36 seats?) but Mighty, food was mighty good. My wife and I went here for a nice quiet dinner. I had the Curry Goat and Jerk Chicken. She had the Salmon which was finished with a sweet, sour sauce that she really enjoyed.

Service was good, one waitress and one waiter. They were both pleasant contrary to some of the reviews I read previous to visiting the restaurant. I had fried plantains, rice and beans and Festival for my side dishes, All were appealing and flavorful. My wife had the steamed vegetables which were also quite good.

All in all, we plan to go to Ocean Blue again, possibly for the lunch buffet so we can try many of the entrees at one time.

Good service, good food has us certainly interested in returning.