WINNER WONDERLAND

Zelma Basha Salmeri Gallery
Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Chandler
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding Corporate Art Collection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The Basha Gallery was a pleasant surprize. Over 500 baskets alone and perhaps 3000 pieces total. Unfortunately it lacks curation - pieces have little explanation, lack titles or historical context, and are displayed below eye level, due to lack of adequate space. In general the lighting is poor, even 4 foot florescent tubes are burned out.

The western art and Native American collections are very strong, with many prominent artists represented. Despite the gallery's limitations, there is a lesson in American history here.

And you can't beat the price!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Bob R

Tucson, AZ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Western Art Collection that is amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

Located in the complex of the Basha's Corporate Headquarters in Chandler, AZ, this extensive and excellent collection of paintings, sculptures, basketry, jewelery, pottery, is well deserving of a rave review! I had heard of it from two sources, but never took time to seek it out until this past week. What a "WOW"! We only had two hours to tour because of a time constraint. It could have been more, and I will look forward to a return visit in the future. The Basha family has a strong connection to supporting education in Arizona and they have used this collection to support the Chandler School District's program. Way to go Basha's!

Visited November 2013
1 Thank AZGR8BNB
Chandler, Arizona
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Southwest Art Showcase”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I had read several local articles about this art collection. Little did I know how expansive it really is in person. I thought, eh its a hallway or room full of a few things, boy was I ever wrong. I even drug my 14yr old daughter with me and she pointed out things to me in the paintings and intricate stone carving pieces I may not have taken a second look at. We are not huge southwest art lovers or museum goers in general, but this is well worth your time to visit. My brother-in-law has worked at the corporate office for two decades and was close to Eddie Basha, Jr.. He told me that Eddie had personal relationships with all of the many dozens of artists that he purchased or had donated art from. I have an appreciation for art in general, and a greater one for the collection of late Eddie Basha. He took the time to share not only his passion for something he loved but also to build friendships with those artists.

Visited September 2013
Phoenix Arizona
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Wonderful free art gallery-hidden gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

This place is in the most unlikely place but is absolutely wonderful. If you love cowboy art and Native American art you will love this place. I take all of our out of town guests here and they always love it. It is a hidden gem.

Visited August 2013
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Check it out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2013

A free museum that I didn't even know existed until family from out of state told us about it. There is a lot of awesome western art, bronzes and many other artifacts. This is a fairly small place but has a lot to offer. Whether you are into this kind of art or not you will find something there that will interest you. Nice to see there are still places that want to share their collection with everyone and not charge you. if your in the area be sure to check it out.

Visited October 2012