“Beautiful, Friendly resort”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
NY
“Beautiful, Friendly resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2006

Just got back from the Sheraton W.H.P. It is in a beautiful setting, but yet really close to the airport, about 15 minutes away. The lobby is gorgeous, check in took just a couple of minutes. The room is clean with white, heavy cotton comforters, very comfortable beds. Unfortunately our room was on the 1st floor and had a partial parking lot view, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room anyway. The pools were warm. I think they could have been a little cleaner maybe by running the filters longer, because on one pool in particular there seemed t be lots of dead bugs floating on top. My 8 yr old spent a lot of time on the one with a slide. The poolside service was wonderful. As a matter of fact they have some of the most polite people working in every aspect of this hotel that I have ever experienced. The breakfast at Ko'Sin (sp?) restaurant was terrific, I had mesquite grilled pancakes, my husband had juevos rancheros which he loved. We never had dinner there so can't comment on that. My son went on 2 trail rides because he loved it so much. The nicest people in the world run the equestrian center. They are very thoughtful about the heat with the children and making sure us inexperienced riders had the right horses.
We were very, very happy we chose this resort.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank jeez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (358)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2006

I usually write really long hotel reviews, mostly, alas, pointing out problems. Not this time!

We stayed here for six days, having just moved to AZ from Georgia. The service was outstanding, genuinely friendly, and when we had a problem (construction above us was loud and annoying), the hotel moved us to another room and apologized profusely.
Loved the Starbucks coffee. Really appreciated the Etch-a-Sketch kids menu and the food at Ko'Sin was great (order the risotto!). Poolside service rocks. The valet/doormen were sweet and really hustled. On top of that, they were quick to offer much appreciated bottles of cold water.

The grounds are gorgeous, the views (especially sunset!) memorable, the hotel is seriously comfortable, our 5 year-old had a ball and we didn't want to leave. We plan to dine at Kai soon (not a place for kids, so we didn't go there during this stay). In fact, we intend to stay at the Wild Horse again next month when my parents come out to Arizona to visit.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Tips/Secrets — go in the summer, when rates are lower
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sabine_D
Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2006

We were ther July 4 week, somewhat busy, then after holiday we had the place to ourselves. Being July 4 week, we could see fireworks for 3 nights from our balcony from the Casino and Rawhide. No traffic to fight to see fireworks that was nice. Here is a list of my opinions:
FOOD- typical hotel, exception was breakfast menu, 'mesquite grilled pancakes with an apple something syrup. Can't find those here in FL. Breakfast and Lunch buffet standard.
GOLF- spouse tells me it was good, good rates for summer, unique golf cart a/c, saw lots of wildlife early evening.
HORSES- took 6:00 am morning private ride with 8 yr old son. Saw coyotes, burrow owls, large owls, different kinds of rabbits, wild horse, guide lived in as he stated, "village by mountains" very nice, told us some folklore stories, nice time.
SPA-never answered phone when I called (4 out of 4x), but would call back within minutes when I left message stating I wished to schedule a visit there. Had 3 different services, one was okay, the others were really good. Spa area/bldg. very nice, had a fire in fireplace lounge even in summer. Ex/Fitness area spacious well equipped for a hotel.
ROOM- nice decor, quiet, clean with exception of some mildew in shower tile grout. Tub and shower separate. We both liked the mattress comfort level and pillows too.
FRONT DESK- Friendly, helpful, when we asked for directions or recommendations over the phone, they would give them to us, then print a map from google or yahoo, leave it at the desk in an addressed envelope for us to pick up on our way out. That I thought was exceptional. Although, I didn't care for one of the recommendations much.
POOL- several pools, can find a quiet place even when they were busy, kid pool, waterslide together, live music at pool on weekend, ice water available in coolers in pool area no charge (even a lemon slice if you wanted it), fresh towels always available too. Pool attendance there for bar beverage/snack if you needed them.

LIKED- wildlife, things for kids to do at pool, friendly and helpful staff, easy access to highway, and other restaurants in area. DIDN"T like...I thought it would be a little more remote than it was, but in the end I guess it was good not to feel trapped at the resort.

If your an outdoors person and going in the summer, enjoy tubing down a REAL river through the mountains, visit the Salt River, State Park? Nat'. Park? in Mesa approx. 40 minute drive, park at State Park Parking, the Park bus takes you and your rental tube to the river entrance drop off, float 3 hrs. or so 1-2 level current, they pick you up at designated pull out, and bus you back to your car. Cheap fun! Cools you off too! You float right through the mountains! Front Desk can print you up a map. Most locals know about it.

That's about it, hope it was helpful.

6 Thank leipua2000
Baton Rouge, LA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2006

I recently attended a conference at this hotel and loved it. I liked the setting, the desert landscaping. The service was excellent and the staff were exceedingly polite, friendly and accomodating. I would not hesitate to stay there again.

I also played golf @ Whirlwind , loved it!

The food at Kai was delicious and the service was exemplary.

My only regret was that it was too far away with the time I had to go shopping in Scottsdale. There is a casino on site but I didn't get over there.

1 Thank seasea
Sacramento, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2006

We stayed here for a weekend and loved the place. It is very new and artsy. Very nice place to relax and slow down. Beautiful rooms.

• Stayed April 2006
1 Thank Rick767
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2006

I just returned from a three-night stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa near Phoenix. I was there for a business conference (April 23-26). My overall impression was very positive. First, I can't say enough about how nice the staff was. Just one example: I needed to have special meals delivered to the hotel from a restaurant in Phoenix. The hotel did a wonderful job coordinating with the restaurant, making sure I got my meals on time, and always asking if I wanted the meal delivered to my room. In addition, the staff are very friendly and give lots of smiles (seems like a little thing, but coming from NY, means a lot). My room was comfortable and clean, the bathtub was very spacious, and the water pressure in the separate shower was great. The bed was comfortable (although I didn't like the pillows that much). One minor quibble: I wish that there were more channels available on the television, and also feel that the music channels should be free, not pay-for. Also, I wish there was a microwave.

The hotel itself is pretty, and with a waterfall in the lobby (flowing outside), conveys a certain lushness in the desert. The landscaping outside, with its variety of desert flora and flowing streams, adds to the lush feeling. There's a great view of the desert from the front lobby area. The swimming pools are heated very nicely, and are very clean. However, they are on the shallow side (mostly under 4'). The water slide is cute. The "recreated" (and very shallow) Gila River that flows through the property is very nice, and I recommend taking the small electric boat that travels to the casino and golf course. It's very pleasant.

Overall, I'd give my experience a 9 out of 10.

• Stayed April 2006, traveled on business
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2006

What seperates a good hotel from a great one is attention to detail. Whether in the construction, the facilities, the service, or the people, the difference between good and great is a fine line. On any given day, that line can tip a little, but overall, the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass really delivers!

The ambience of this hotel is spectacular. Keep in mind you are staying at a Sheraton, but a Sheraton financed with funding from the Gila River indian casinos. The hotel was paid for in cash, and it shows in nearly every detail. From the spectacular lobby and sprawling pool area to the small details of the flatware in the restaurants, every inch of this resort was thoroughly planned and well-executed.

The rooms are comfortable and true to the Southwestern theme. Our deluxe room over the pool and lagoon included an oversized leather chair and ottoman, large desk for working space, and a well-appointed bathroom. Try to reserve a room overlooking the pool and lagoon side of the hotel.

The food in the restaurants was great. We particularly liked the morning breakfast buffet, and don't miss the amazing pancakes on the menu. Honestly, everyone was raving about them. If you are a fan of $11 resort burgers, the Wild Horse Pass doesn't dissapoint. Note that every time you say thank you to a staff member (which is often because they anticipate your needs), they will all respond with 'it's my pleasure.' They sincerely mean it. The staff is focused on getting a 5-star rating for the property. Their service and attitude was far better than many of the stuffy 5-star resorts in nearby Scottsdale. From the bellman to the valet to the poolboy, everyone at this resort is clearly focused on the customer. The Aji Spa is amazing (see my separate review). The menus at the restaurant are creative, unique and cultural. The hotel is not cheap, but I'm willing to pay a fair price for first class food and service, and this hotel delivers.

There are lots of nearby activities. The hotel has the Koli Equestrian Center for those who like to ride horses. The golf courses looked amazing. Every inch of the property is landscaped with desert flowers. The indian casino is a short ten minute walk or five minute boatride from the hotel. The casino itself is nothing exceptional, other than the fact that it funds this terrific hotel. Rawhide western theme park is just up the road. Not really recommended, although the steakhouse is good (and very casual, with so-so service). There are great malls within a 10 minute drive of the property. But my guess is that you won't want to leave once you settle down there.

If there is one flaw to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass, it is their tendency to book for conventions. That can lead to a hit and miss experience. We were there two days with no conventions, and virtually had the place to ourselves. When we wanted to stay an additional night, they couldn't advise us of whether they would have space until the morning of, and then the answer was no. Even as a Starwood Platinum spending over $500 a day there at the spa and restaurants alone, they couldn't squeeze us in an additional night or two. Most of the complaints on this site seem to have come from vacationers who were caught between a throng of conventioneers. Keep in mind the hotel is relatively small (500 rooms), so they can't cater to large groups anyway.

We plan to return to the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass once a year for relaxation and spa treatments. Even if the hotel is frenetic, you can find peace, quiet and solitude in the spa area, and even spend an easy half a day there. The spa services are not cheap, but this is not your strip mall day spa. You need to compare the spa to the Camelback Inn or the Phoenician, and for this spa user, it sets a new standard the Scottsdale spa snobs will have a tough time matching. The Aji Spa makes the Phoenician facilities look like a tired 24-Hour Fitness locker room.

And by the way, I did in fact see wild horses running through the indian reservation from my balcony! I was told this is pretty rare, but I saw a group of five of them. You can spend hours walking the peaceful grounds, enjoying the desert landscaping, the sound of birds surrounding you, horseback riders in the distance. If you're looking for an Arizona Hotel that isn't landscaped like a hawaiian resort, this place may become one of your favorites also. Hats off to the Wild Horse Pass!

• Stayed April 2006
15 Thank SDSteve
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!