“Great Family Vacation”

Ranked #6 of 33 Hotels in Chandler
Calgary, AB
“Great Family Vacation”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We had a lovely time at this Sheraton Resort.
Check in was smooth and the staff were friendly.
The pools were beautiful, waterside was a blast, the ground were well kept and the pool bar has delicious food and a great kids menu.
I liked the green program where you can decline room service and receive a $5 food voucher each day. Starbucks coffee in room and Starbucks in the lobby.
The activities for kids were great - movie night, s'mores/bonfire nights.

My only complaints were the bathroom amenities were terrible - bring your own shampoo/condish/soaps. Also the pool became really busy on the weekends and I don't think most of the people were even staying at the hotel. There should be some way to control that - key card access or something. I also wish we could have used the fridge instead of having it stocked with crazy priced stuff no one uses. Did not try room service, as they add 22% plus 18% tip. TOO MUCH, but probably a standard thing - no thanks!

A lot of people complain about the location - being far from everything - but I liked it. You definitely need a car though - there are tons of places within a 15 minute drive - everything from McDonalds & Ihop, to nicer restaurants, to ROSS & JC Penney and movie theatres.

We were celebrating our anniversary, and the staff were very courteous and kind during our fancy meal out, and sending chocolate strawberries to our room.

Everyone had a blast - I would return in a second!

Room Tip: 4th floor for a view, Bottom floor to be close to pool. It's a big complex!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for providing us with such helpful feedback. We are glad to hear you enjoyed so many amenities our resort has to offer. We take a lot of pride in ensuring the families that visit us have plenty to do around our property. Regarding your concerns, we have passed along the quality comments to our Housekeeping team and they are looking reviewing. You will be happy to hear we have implemented a new program to ensure we only allow registered hotel guests to use our facilities. We have already had great success! Addressing the Room Service gratuity, the 18% tip comes out of the 22% service charge, not in addition to. We will look into clarifying that verbiage so other guests do not share the same confusion. Most importantly, we are very happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to a flawless experience.

Director of Restaurants

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
alabama
Reviewed June 15, 2014

First let me say that the resort grounds are beautiful. It is isolated and it sets off to itself. Check in was fantastic. Warm welcome greeting given. Get ready to hike to your room. We had 2 rooms 3138 and 3160. It seemed like we waled a mile every time we went to our room. Breakfast was ok. To me you pay to much for what you get. It was also cheaper to eat the buffet.

The water slide pool is amazing. I am in my 30's and it is all I wanted to do. If you have little kids (1-12) the pools are great for them. Look like the staff had some activities going on for them.

The rooms had a great shower and separate tub I give 5 stars for this. However; the floor looked like it hadn't been mop nor the shower glass cleaned. We had a King size bed that slipped ok. Needed new pillows. They was a balcony that gave a great view of the golf course and mountain. They had a wet bar (I didn't use). They needed to be a microwave and a mini fridge in the room. If you had left over food you had to throw it away because you had no way of keeping it.

There is a a couple of gift shops on site. The gym is an excellent facility however you have to drive to it. It is not connected to the resort. I wouldn't walk its about 1.5 miles down the road from the resort located where the Aji spa is. The spa is busier on the weekend so try and book through the week if you are interested in using.

Check out was a nightmare. Very unorganized. Savannah was new and really didn't know how to check people out and it seems like she was thrown to the wolves. Linda had a nasty attitude. We book a 2 rooms with the 3rd night free and an 100.00 food credit. One room was correct the other was 200.00 more than what it should have been. When I asked her to correct she said do you have your reservation email? We had packed everything up and taking to the car. (didn't think I needed because I made sure of the reservations upon checking in). She would NOT fix until I went out in the scorching hot sun to get because they screwed up. Nathan finally come to correct the problem after showing the reservation. Check out took 30 minutes and we were the only ones in line for 15 of those minutes. This was not very professional in my opinion. I normally stay at the Hilton and was giving Sheraton another try and I yes I have a Sheraton rewards because my husbands job stays with this chain a lot. it will be a long time before I stay at a Sheraton. I do not care if the room is FREE. The attitude at check out is what did it for me. Thanks Linda

Room Tip: You want a rom that has Sheraton rewards on it. It faces all the activities, and views not the par...
Green Features: If you op out of having your room clean everyday which we did you get $5.00 or 500 points.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that your stay was less than perfect. It sounds like there were many areas in which we could have provided you with better service. We have shared all of your insights from check out and will address them with our team members. It is unacceptable to treat our guests with anything less than a stellar attitude. We hope you will give us another chance. Thanks for your review.

Front Desk Manager
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Fun pool and water slide. Shallow pool for younger ones. Food by pool is only mediocre. Clean rooms, nice balcony, nice boat ride to wild west town. Hard to get a cheap breakfast nearby - we had to drive fifteen minutes to get to a breakfast place because eating at the resort was pricey!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, F&B Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay at the resort. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time out by our pool. However, I do apologize for the experience you had with the food at the pool bar & grill. We are actually in the process of revamping our pool menu so we hope on your next visit with us you will enjoy some of our new menu items. Our resort is a Geogreen resort and we have a program called make a green choice for our guests who stay with us more than one night who want to opt out of getting their room cleaned in exchange for a $5 dollar voucher each day they opt out that can be used in the restaurants on property to go toward their restaurant bills. It’s a great way for our resort guests to participate and receive discounts off of their checks. We hope that you return again for another visit and can utilize this program and dine in our Restaurants rather than going off property.

F&B Manager
Cottonwood, Arizona
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Ok, first let me preface this by saying, I'm usually more of La Quinta type hotel person, so I can be somewhat easily impressed. With that disclaimer, when I arrived at the lobby,I was impressed!
Beautiful lobby that overlooks the pools, golf course, and mountains. It's also off the beaten track but still reasonably close to the big city.

Ok, so let me break this down simply to the old reliable pros and cons.
PROS
-Beautiful grounds, desert landscaping.
-pools and water slide. There are about four different pools, Jacuzzi, and water slide for the kids. For us, the pools were the highlight.
-Service at the pools was excellent.
-the rooms are very nicely decorated, upscale, and high end mattresses that were very comfortable.
-the pool area stays open till 11:00pm! So many close too early.

CONS
-Number 1 con, price. Even with the summer discount your looking at about $230 a night! And it has what they all seem to have now, the Resort fee. So stupid! Somehow this fee allows them to list a lower price, but then add more to that price, and it'snot optional!
-Distances. This resort is large and spread out. If you don't like to walk, either request a room near the lobby or don't stay here. It's a pretty good hike from a lot of the rooms.

So in conclusion, if you're looking for a nice resort that feels secluded but you don't want to drive to distant locations, this is perfect. The price per night was a bit high for me, I hate to think what the rate is during the winter or spring.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent stay and all of the insightful feedback you have provided us and your fellow travelers. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed our lobby, our wide-open views and service throughout the resort. I am sorry to hear that you felt the hallway walk was too long. We built our resort to replicate the nearby mountain range and to maximize the views from guestrooms. Most guests like this approach, however, we are happy to accommodate special room location requests whenever possible. Thank you again for joining us and we hope you will visit again soon.

PR Director
Portland
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I will start by saying, from the outside - driving up to this resort, the grounds are really beautiful. It's very desert like and well manicured. The building structures are southwestern adobe style and architecturally nice but that's where it stops.

Upon entering the lobby, we noticed a feeling of humidity and a mildew odor. We chalked it up to the 111 degree outside temperature, coupled with A/C. We stepped up to the front desk and asked the Clerk if the hotel was sold out. His answer was "no". We then inquired about a possible upgrade and he said "let me check". He didn't speak another word but simply handed us keys and directed us to our room. It was at the far end of the property - down a series of hallways. We were honestly taken aback by the condition of the carpets on this journey. They were old and FILTHY. And, randomly patched with duct tape. We also noticed strips of rubber gasket hanging from many of the guest room doors.

When we entered our room, it was very dark. The furnishings were nice - chunky and in keeping with the style but the décor was so dim. Brown carpet, tan wallpaper, brown lampshades etc. The lighting in the bathroom was barely sufficient. Even with the draperies wide open, the room was just plain dark. The bathtub had hair on the edge from a previous guest, the shower ceiling was covered in black mold and the grout between the tile and glass was just nasty. The dresser drawers were also filled with crumbs. I'd typically be the type to call and complain but we were with a group (we had no part in choosing this hotel) and I didn't want to make a scene, potentially in front of one of my husband's customers. So, we just sucked it up.

The following day, I left for lunch/pool time and encountered the Housekeeper in the hall on my way out. I asked to have our room made up but when I returned 3 hours later, it was still dirty. I had to jump into the shower so I called quickly for some fresh towels and a very nice, apologetic gentleman delivered them. I ate lunch in the more casual of the two restaurants and the service was very good, as was the food. I was anxious to eat there with my husband the following day but it was an entirely different story. The waiter was a little overwhelmed and rather that say "I'll be with you shortly", he chose to ignore us for 10 minutes. He finally arrived and we ordered a bowl of chicken tortilla soup to start (and share) and a BLT salad with extra bacon to follow. About 5 minutes later, another gal appeared with both. The soup was a bowl of watered down tomato paste with tortilla strips on top but no chicken. The salad literally had 2 small pieces of bacon. We flagged down our waiter who proceeded to argue with us when we pointed out that clearly, we had not received what we ordered. Rather than offer to have it corrected, he just stood there dumfounded so we announced we'd rather leave. We were starving so decided to try the pool bar. The bartender was very friendly and happy to serve us. I ordered tacos on corn tortillas but received flour. My husband requested a BLT which arrived on this greasy buttered bread. We were so worn out by this time that we just ate. As we sat there, we were admiring these cool pendant light fixtures overhead and then noticed they were covered in cobwebs with leaf debris hanging from them. Again, more dirtiness.

The pool was quite nice but the chair cushions were covered in cigarette burns and need to be replaced. I will say, the pool staff was very friendly and timely. Of course, there were very few people at the hotel overall.

Our room was serviced the 2nd day but the Housekeeper took dirty glassware we had placed on the floor next to the wastebasket (a signal to have it removed usually) and returned it to the top of the minibar with a napkin over each one. ??? We also saw the same 6 pack carrier with 5 empty beer bottles sit on the hallway floor for 3 straight days! I observed one member of the cleaning staff texting on her phone so certainly she would have had time to remove them.

We attended a banquet dinner and the food and service were both very good. The meeting space was the only area of the property which was clean.

We took the shuttle to the casino to dine at Don Shula's and the drivers were so courteous. The Bellmen were also very friendly and efficient. The bottles of cold water were a nice touch.

My reason for not giving one star, as opposed to two, is that 95% of the staff were so great! It was just very disappointing to find a Starwood resort in such rough and dirty shape. It's truly in need of a 'hard remodel' and deep cleaning.

Green Features: They did offer the 'green' option with linens and towels.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
SHeckathorne, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share and post your helpful observations and feedback. We are very proud of our Resort and as it is our goal to anticipate our guest’s needs and to exceed their expectations, we sincerely apologize that this did not occur during your stay. We are greatly concerned that you found the Resort condition and cleanliness to be substandard, and we are embarrassed that we so badly missed in the restaurant and other service opportunities. Please know that we completely agree that these issues are unacceptable and you can be sure that we have followed up and are taking the necessary steps to act on and learn from your poor experience.

Again, thank you for your time. Your feedback is not only a valuable tool for us to foster and strengthen the relationship with you as a valuable guest, but also allows us to learn and address specific issues and modify staff procedures where necessary. We greatly value your patronage, support and perspective, and while we understand your perception of our Resort has been altered by these issues, we would very much appreciate the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit. We hope that you will consider us again so that you can experience the positive, relaxing and memorable stay that we strive to deliver.

Director of Front Office
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

One of the better hotels where I have stayed at for a business conference. Two and half days of meeting the hotel had everything ready from rooms, meals to conference area. The hotel is located in the Southeast part of the valley

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
SHeckathorne, Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent stay and kind words. We were glad to host you.

Meeting and Event Manager
Arizona
Reviewed June 7, 2014

You can see from the pictures this is a beautiful property. There is a river that surround the property which attract some of the most beautiful birds. There really are wild horses here too. You can take a water taxi to the steak house at Rawhide which is very scenic. Having the casino and shopping nearby is fun and there is a free shuttle so it's easy to get around. The native American décor is very calming. The nature walks are very peaceful. There are 4 pools which are really more for families. If you want some peaceful water time I would recommend purchasing a day pass to the spa. The golf course was in great shape too.
What impressed me most about this hotel was the outstanding service. It's the people that made this special for me. I really like it when I ask for something and the response is "of course". I truly felt like a special guest and that is the reason I will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the entire Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort and Spa, we thank you for giving us the opportunity to exceed your expectations. I am pleased to hear that you were able to enjoy the many amenities we offer with the new outlet mall, enjoyable casino, and the beautiful boat ride. Here at the resort we pride ourselves on excellent service and to see we have done that for your visit is wonderful. Our hope is that we are able to welcome you back to our resort in the near future.

Best regards,
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
The Phoenician, Scottsdale
#20 of 75 in Scottsdale

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!