“Some stunning views”

Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
Texas
“Some stunning views”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

This is a very large resort in a desert setting. Everything is generally well maintained and there are stunning views across the property towards the mountains. The resort has a sort of Santa Fe feel with a (fake) adobe construction.

It is a very large (to me) property and walking from a room to some specific part of the hotel can be a trek; especially since with its 3 wings you often have to return back close to the lobby hub to get where you are going (especially if you are going to a different floor of the same wing). If you look at the property on the Google maps satellite view you will get the idea.

In general the staff were very nice, restaurants and food that I tried were all good. The pool (well actually there are basically 3 linked pools) is very attractive and has a good restaurant with great service. I was there as part of a conference and a number of people complained about the poor wi-fi service in the rooms. Mine wasn't too bad but it was a consistent complaint. Note they Do charge for wi-fi. wi-fi does not really reach into the breakfast restaurant (Ko'Sin Restaurant). By the way the food there was very good.

Try the early morning horseback (8 am or so) riding on the property. They take you through desert and you can encounter the wild mustangs. Worth doing.

Room Tip: You enter the hotel at the top of 3 levels, so rooms are on that level or you go down to the 2 floor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our resort!
Our resort is designed to mirror the lines of the Sierra Estrella Mountains, with smooth lines and no distraction from the natural landscape. To maintain the beauty of the desert, the resort was constructed to flow naturally with nature and forced our property to go out, not up.
I cannot apologize enough for the inconsistent Wi-Fi service. We are always striving to ensure that our guests have the best experience possible and we will share our concerns with our team. Sincerely,
Reservations Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. Loved the pool areas (thanks for the attentive service, jeremy (hope I got the name right)( the walking boot didn't slow you down)).. Really enjoyed the interpretive trail, got some great pictures. Was forced to buy the internet (even as SPG memebers and using points) as part of ? some package/fee. And the service was spotty in our room.Not thrilled with that. But enjoyed the ambiance of the lobby and the immediate surrounding area. What's with the locked refrigerators??

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
SHeckathorne, Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

One of our goals is to keep our landscaping as naturally and indigenous as possible. In addition to ensuring that our lobby and surrounding areas stay true to our heritage, our interpretive trail is allowed to grow naturally so that our guests can appreciate the beauty that we are privy to everyday.

Thank you so much for your kind words about Jeremy and we will be sure to compliment him on the good service. All of our staff take great pride in providing the best service possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our resort.

Resort management
New York, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

I visited this resort for a three-day conference and absolutely loved it. I did not want to leave. From the minute I checked in, the staff were very friendly and helpful and really seemed to care about the guests. The swimming pools and jacuzzis are just beautiful - very distracting to me while attending a business conference. They weren't very crowded while I was there but I imagine they get crowded on weekends with families. The scenary around the place is just beautiful and there are some great running trails too! The gym is great, high quality machinery that seems to be well-maintained (can't say the same thing with other properties). The restaurants and bars on property are good but somewhat pricey - however, there is a free shuttle that goes over to another casino hotel where there is a food court and other restaurant choices.

Rooms are incredibly well cleaned and beautiful decorated, the bed had one of the thickest mattresses I ever slept on, and the bathroom had a shower that was separate from the huge bathtub (living on the more space-efficient and crowded east coast, I must say this was a pleasant surprise!). Every room, as far as could tell, has either a patio or balcony so you can enjoy the morning sunrise or evening sunset. I couldn't have been more comfortable. I really did not want to leave.

A few things to bear in mind though -

1. This is out in the middle of the desert. Cell phone service and wifi internet signals can be very weak most of the time. Yet they still charge $12.95/day for internet service, rather excessive given the strength of the signal and the fact that there was no hard wire connection available in my room (I was told they couldn't fix while I was there). Service is stronger out in the lobby but of course you won't be in the comfort and privacy of your own room.

2. If you are staying here and don't have a car, you are pretty much trapped on the property, other than taking the free shuttle that goes over to the nearby casino hotel, where there are other restaurants, a nightclub and shows. SuperShuttle does go to and from the airport and is the least expensive option for airport transfers ($22), calling on a taxi will run you around $40.

Hopefully I'll be back sometime for a vacation and nothing else!

1 Thank caj111
SHeckathorne, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you had such an amazing experience at the resort. I understand that the location of the resort is secluded from the city and isn’t the best convenience for guests who are without a car. We try to make up for that with our complimentary shuttle service that can take you to our Spa, Golf Course, the Wild Horse Pass Casino and Hotel as well as the New Premium Outlet Mall, so that you don’t feel you are limited to just our hotel for activities or dining options. I do apologize for the internet issue you experienced during your stay with us. We are actually in the process of working on our internet signal for the resort. Thank you again for your valuable feedback. We look forward to your next visit to the Resort.

Resort Management
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I was at this hotel for a business trip. The lobby/central area is really beautiful, with a lot of Native American artwork and artifacts. The property is in great shape, and has very nice landscaping. I received a Starwood Preferred Guest room, just to let you know.

Like some other resorts, things are kind of spread out. I had to walk down a couple of long hallways to get to my room. The room had nice amenities, including a glass-enclosed shower stall and a full size bathtub. However, it seemed to take 2-3 minutes for the water to get hot for my shower (a lot of water wasted, unfortunately). Once it got hot, the water pressure was very good.

All of the appliances (TV, radio) worked well.

The fitness center was very nice and open from 5 AM to 10 PM. However, it was in a separate building, and you have to walk about 1/3 to 1/2 mile to get to the building. It was about 50-55 degrees when I went early in the morning (in late October). So I was kind of cold in my t-shirt and shorts. You have to follow the signs, and at one point there was a fork, and luckily I took the correct path.

The meeting room area and terrace and patios are very nice.

On my last day, I had to catch an early flight out of Phoenix (6:45 AM) to go back East. I called the front desk and asked for a cab to pick me up around 4:45 AM. So when I got there, I found out that they called a more expensive car service. No cabs in sight. I was not happy, but cabs don't hang out at the hotel at all times (especially at 4:45 AM), so I didn't have a choice and paid the much higher fee. I would suggest arranging your own cab.

1 Thank Steve R
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa. We take great pride in our amenities and our guest bathrooms are one of great pride. We apologize for you experience with the hot water taking a little longer than normally expected. We do understand the importance of getting a nice hot shower when traveling on business. We look forward to your next visit to the resort.

Engineering Coordinator
Lunenburg, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

We enjoyed our 3 night stay at this beautiful hotel. This Sheraton has an incredible location just about 25 minutes from the airport in Phoenix. It over looks the Sonoran Desert....it is quiet and comfortable. The pool...or should I say pools....are great. It also features a cool water slide that is a blast for both kids and us adults. They have a friendly staff at the pool side restaurant/bar. Getting a drink at your lounge chair can be a bit of a challenge so remember that if you're in a hurry for a drink or snack. The room was clean and very nicely appointed. The A/C could have been colder...just run the fan on high instead of "auto". This is a huge property....I would recommend walking/running the "Interpretive Trial"....very cool 2.5 mile loop through the desert.

Room Tip: Lobby is on the 3rd floor....ask for upper levels for the best view of the desert/mountains
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are so pleased to hear that you had such a great experience at the resort. I'm glad that you enjoyed your room and that you were able to relax and have some fun at our pool. We understand that you have many hotel options and we are honored and truly appreciate that you chose our resort as your vacation destination. We hope that you will visit us again soon.

Purchasing Manager
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

I have stayed at this resort twice now for conventions- both times being a disappointment. The location is beautiful, but the staff and management misses the bigger picture. It is nearly impossible to conduct business there as wireless service is spotty at best. Phones (cell or the hotel phone- which are cheap and dated) in rooms do not work properly, which means calling into conference calls is difficult. Getting timely room service between meetings doesn't happen. And, possibly the biggest disappointment was the bathroom we had. We had a handicap accessible room, which is not a problem at all. However, the bathtub/shower combination was nearly impossible for us able-bodied adults to get in and out of which made us wonder just how a disabled person would have any chance in using it. If I were the manager, I would have a hard time justifying such an arrangement. They need to quickly reconsider the situation and install a handicapped accessible shower as an alternative.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me be the first to apologize for your less than stellar experience. We know how important connectivity is for our guests and are sorry that you experienced challenges while staying with us.

We take all of the feedback we receive from guests on this platform very seriously. We underwent a huge upgrade only 2 years ago. While technology is ever-evolving we know that we must keep up. To that end, we have a large portion of our capital projects budget devoted to a Wi-Fi connectivity upgrade in 2014. We hope to have you back and create a new impression in the near future.

Resort Management
San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for the third time, my second convention, and found it to be very comfortable and more than adequate for the event. My wife did not like the suite I had reserved because it was on the ground floor. The front desk people bent over backwards to find her a room she felt adequate as all suites were filled. Three parallel conventions happening at once. However it did not feel cramped. The Starwood Preferred Guest room was much smaller but comfortable and they credited our account the price difference. We ended up far from the convention meeting areas. The facility is very long and low. Great walking areas and great dessert golf. Nice pool area and an excellent spa and gym.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is always a joy to host conferences at our property, and even better to hear about our attendees experiences. I am sorry to hear you were unable to stay in one of our luxury suites, but we are glad you found our Deluxe rooms to be accommodating and comfortable for the remainder of your stay. The Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort & Spa is a very large property to provide our guests the utmost tranquility and relaxation during their stay. We hope for you to return in the near future to once again enjoy all our resort has to offer to our guests. Thank you for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Front Desk Supervisor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Camelback East
Royal Palms Resort and Spa

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!