“Great family vacation!”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 34 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Wild Horse Pass is a unique resort and my family loves coming back every year for a week of vacation.
Horse back riding, great golf on 2 Troon managed courses, RawHide town and steakhouse and off course Kai.
The staff, the food and the atmosphere are super relaxing, the proximity to Phoenix and Scottsdale allow for quick day trips to many great local museums, restaurants and other local attractions.
Wife enjoys the spa, I enjoy the golf and the kids enjoy the pools, kids club, horses and just hanging out at this super cool resort.
Highly recommended for families!

1  Thank MuadibRB
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review and recommendation. Earning the loyalty of our guests means the world to us and we are honored to hear that we are one of your favorite family destinations in Arizona.

Have you heard about our summer Lego package? It is one of our resort’s most popular summer promotions and is year-after-year a guest favorite. This year’s promotion will offer a fun-filled summer day camp for the kids as well as many tempting treats for the adults such as golf, spa and dining discounts to name a few. This package sounds like the perfect fit for your family and we would love to have you join us this summer.

We hope to see you soon!

Stephanie Sanstead

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)

Reviewed January 20, 2013

Start with a 2 mile driveway snaking through the dessert grounds seeing coyotes and roadrunners as you drive in. The resort is extremely large and includes two long wings a spa and conventon center. There is an excellent nature walking path that is over 2 miles long. Recommend getting one of the rooms facing the mountains for beautiful views, these are labeled starwood guest preferred rooms but you can join program for free if not member. Lobby is 3 story with womderful indian mural painting on ceiling nice bar area and free wifi in common area. Like most Sheratons wifi is extra in room and meeting space. Golf course looked well maintained but didnt get a chance to play. About 20 min from airport suggest a rental car to be able to enjoy area.

Room Tip: Ask for starwood preferred room on second floor best view and first floor you are on walking path so...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kenasa
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Our family stayed at the resort for 2 nights (they had an offer for $99 per night - a bargain for a room for 4). The resort is not your typical Sheraton Hotel. The decor and ambience bring about a relaxing and peaceful environment.
The pool area is lovely, with views of the mountains, golf course and even wild horses in the distance. My husband enjoyed the golf course and my kids loved the water slide. There is a shuttle that will take you to the stables, where you can sign up for lessons or a short trail ride. The gondola ride is fun for small children.
Bedrooms are clean and comfortable. The main downside was the cost of the food - it was incredibly expensive for everything from a coffee to a dinner on the terrace.
We went out of season and were disappointed that the advertised children's program was not running, but the manager brought out the ingredients for s'mores and lit the outside fire so that we could roast our marshmallows - a lovely gesture that our kids really appreciated.
I'd recommend for a short trip - it's about a 15 min drive into Chandler.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shineygirl
Reviewed January 13, 2013

This resort is a very nice property, rooms are top notch, well appointed with comfortable bed, nice furnishings...room service was good, staff was nice and quick at check in...the room seemed like a mile from the front desk, but after check in you can park closer to the room and walk down the stairs to save some steps...there is nothing else around without a drive of some length to find other food choices, and there are plenty of good ones within 10-15 minutes....

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank BigHarleyDog
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Its always nice to get away to a warm place during winter but this resort exceeded our expectations. Great resort with a fantastic golf course! Kai restaurant is amazing and a must for dinner. The pool is great and had a pool side bar. A separate kids pool made it nice for couples and adults to enjoy the rest. At night they have a fire pit by the pool area which made it nice to hang out and unwind at night. This resort has a world class spa and highly recommend checking it out. If you get a chance to stay in Phoenix this resort has got to be the place!

Room Tip: They have suites with views of the pool and overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TD64
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We called at 9 am on Christmas morning for reservations and were checked into our room at 10am. Beautiful resort. Clean up to date rooms and a fabulous bathroom . We were there 5 nights and enjoyed our stay. The hotel grounds were beautiful and the staff were professional and helpful. Will definitely stay here again when we return to Arizona.

3  Thank Hankmax
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Our business took us to Chandler (business meaning visiting my sister's 6-week-old son.) We typically stay at the Squaw Peak Hilton Resort because of its mini-golf, lazy river and all-suite hotel, but decided to be closer in Chandler. I miss the Hilton and would definitely recommend that hotel over Wild Horse Pass, especially for families.

But because it was December, the Hilton's amenities would probably go unused on this trip so we decided to stay at the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass.

Sorry Sheraton, this place didn't convert me away from Hiltons and Marriotts, my primary hotel chains.

The service tone is very often set when you walk in through the front door (which I had to open myself and schlep my bags). No one seemed particuarly happy that we were there.

The restaurants at this resort are off the charts in terms of expensive. It's in a remote location with absolutely nothing in walking distance. (Not even the casino, which I thought was going to be close.) So if you want a meal off-site, be prepared to drive. If you do decide to eat there, be prepared to pay! A cup of tea at the Starbucks there was I think north of $4.00!

There are two dining options and moderately priced is not an option at Wild Horse. There's expensive (and not child friendly) and less-expensive and a little child-friendly. Seriously, the prices for food at this place are off the charts. The food was perhaps too adventurous for my palate. My wife ordered a chicken dish at the pool and got something that was way, way too spicey and overly creative for pool fare.

The less-expensive restaurant, where we ate dinner and breakfast, is in a horrible space. Incredibly loud. With sound bouncing off the walls and floors, with nothing to absorb the sound. Forget about relaxing in this space, especially if there's a larger group of diners in your room, which each seemed to accomodate half-a-dozen tables. The menu didn't seem to have anything normal. I'm all for getting out of my comfort zone but offer some traditional items as well. Order pancakes for breakfast, and you get some novelle-cuisine type grilled pancakes, served on corn husks, with some kind of weird butter. It's all well and good to offer such adventurous cuisine, but have something basic for those of us who just want a hearty breakfast rather than something you'd see on Food Network! That said, there are probably a lot of you saying 'what's this guy's problem, sounds delightful!" Just offering you my opinion.

My wife ordered a vodka/pineapple, which was served with unrequested, premium vodka for $9.00. The budget version, which I got her the next night, was $8.00. Just seemed pricey to me, but maybe that's consistent with what high end resorts charge.

The grounds are delightful, the hotel not so much. As others have noted on here, it's a long way to get to your room from check-in. Be prepared to walk. In terms of noise level, there is no downside to getting a room close to reception. It was a quiet hotel, even with a bunch of Michigan State fans staying at the hotel for some football game.

I was generally underwhelmed by this resort. It just didn't resonate with me or make an emotional connection. Again, it was a cool December, so we weren't able to spend a lot of time enjoying the outdoors.

My wife and son did want me to single out the Equestrian Center staff, and rightfully so. They were very friendly and my wife and son had a wonderful trail ride which they thoroughly recommend.

One safety note. The pools have no lifeguards; swim at your own risk, which is fair enough. But the waterslide was really an attractive nuisance to the children who were using it. I should have snapped pictures of the girls walking down it and the kids going down head first, on their backs. All well and good until someone bumps into someone else, which I witnessed. This hotel really does need to have some adult supervision on the waterslide making sure that kids don't go down four in a row and clunk heads when they land in the water.

I was underwhelmed by the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass and won't rush back, especially in the off season. It is very pretty and rooms were nice and quiet.
Didn't float my boat, but might float yours.

Finally, just want to mention the computer center. This hotel has figured out the internet thing. Charge a ton of money in the room, but offer it for free in the lobby, which is reasonable. You get 45 minutes free, once you enter your name and room number, courtesy of your friends at Microsoft. Their sponsorship was a great way for people to use their products while holding the cost of internet access.

Finally, would have been nice to have a king room, with a sofa bed for the kid. Instead we wound up with 2 full-sized beds, which meant the wife and I were cramped and the kid slept like a king!

Room Tip: Don't think there are any bad rooms at this hotel. Views across the parking lot or the resort w...
5  Thank Frqflier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Hyatt Place Phoenix Chandler-Fashion Center
Best Western Plus Chandler Hotel & Suites
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
#53 of 173 in Phoenix
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!