“More than the view changes”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
New Market, Maryland
“More than the view changes”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Wild Horse Pass has many interesting views of mountains and the desert that surround it. I found my views of this establishment changing almost as radically as the difference between mountain and desert views over the course of my visit. This was a good thing.

My initial impressions were shaped by the layout of the hotel and center and the deconstructed pricing schedule Sheraton has devolved for the Wild Horse Pass.

The Wild Horse Pass is a rather large and rambling building built in the southwestern style. It is confusing and difficult to navigate. And, it seems as though no matter where your room is, it's a long way to an exit....any exit. Also the elevators don't go all the way from the bar to the sleeping rooms and there are parts of the building on parts of the floors where you just plain can't get there from here. Better signage, a map at check in and some directional signs would be helpful. Parking is ample, but not conveniently located. Walking to and from parking and reception is potentially dangerous, especially at night where the sidewalks are dark and include stairs.

The pricing policy was much more of a pain. The Sheraton Wild Horse Pass charges separately for EVERYthing. Yes there is a fitness center, for example, but it costs extra (it's also in a separate building a long walk across the desert from the hotel). Sheraton is even charging $4.50 for first aid kits, which I consider to be the ultimate in cynical customer exploitation.

The place grows on you, however. For one thing, the staff is extremely helpful and uniformly friendly and were always a pleasure with whom to deal. For another the restaurant turned out to be quite good. This would be the Kai Restaurant. We ate at the bar one night and had lunch at the pool another day. The food at the bar was cold and the sandwiches and drinks (an iced tea and a diet coke) cost approximately $50.00 (the hotel automatically adds a 15 percent gratuity. That short changes the staff in my case because I almost always leave more). Finally, the pool complex is superb and includes a fantastic twisting turning slide that is a joy for people of all ages. There is also a very nice hot tub.

Most of the decorator budget was lavished on the public rooms, which are in a Native American motif. The guest rooms are in a western hotel modern sort of style with the requiste pictues of deserts, Native Americans, and sand. The bed was comfortable, the towels were large and fluffy, and the shower (we had a glass corner shower) was excellent with an adjustable head. There was also a soaking tub. There was no refridgerator, but the in room bar could be off loaded to provide room for a couple soft drinks. If you are willing to upgrade you can have a view that overlooks the pool and the mountains beyond. We did not upgrade and had a superb view of the parking lot; however, that did not affect the comfort of the room one way or the other. There is one ice facility per floor. My partner asked if there were vending machines; the question was met with smiles and a negative response.

The Wild Horse Pass is a resort and offers horse back riding ($65 an hour), a spa (prices vary, but it seems to be very full service), and a golf course. There is also a conference center which appears to be connected to the hotel through an underground facility that links to a much larger facility some distance away. I was at the hotel accompanying my partner who was attending a convention. She reports that the convention services, including the food, were excellent.

Would I stay at the Wild Horse Pass again? If it were convenient or if I were attending a conference, absolutely. The hospitality, the food, and the pool make it worth while.

Room Tip: The hotel runs a shuttle to the nearby casino and to Rawhide, a 'western town' with a restau...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Korean first
BostonMA
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I came to this resort for a 4-night stay with my husband, who was attending a conference here. I brought along my two daughters aged 3.5 yrs and 6mo baby. We had a king sized room and they brought us a large metal crib, no charge. My stay was much different than my husbands- he reports the conference ammeneties were excellent with full mexican-themed lunch, full breakfast buffet, etc.

I got to enjoy the resort a bit more.

Food: By far a highlight. The prices are expensive- the menus are available on their website for your perusal. We had breakfast at Ko'Sin (one of 2 restaurants in the lobby area). I was lucky enough to be handed an "SPG bracelet" my first night by one of the conceirge managers. Her name escapes me right now. She saved us. It was hard to rationalize spending that sort of money on food, but with this [now-famous] "SPG pass" kids eat free with any purchased adult entree. So, my 3yo was able to order a kids meal ($7-9!) everytime I ordered a meal ($14-16). It basically allowed us to save a ton of money, and not once did anyone ever even ask us to see the bracelet (my daughter refused to wear it as she has never worn a bracelet before and it bothered her). I would definitely recommend to others to try using this pass. The resort really won out by giving it to us- without it I would have never eaten as many meals at their resort, so in turn it actually was a win-win: I got to eat like a queen all week, my daughter got to eat like a queen all week, and the resort made money off me buying meals I wouldn't have normally eaten. We didn't have a car, so I suppose my only option would have been the PB+J and bread I'd brought to make sandwiches and any food I could scrounge up from the nearby Chevron station-- you must have a bellboy drive you there though. Anyway, aside from the cost, the food was great and the service was excellent at both Ko'Sin restaurant and at the pool. I ate at the pool 4 meals and got something different each time. I had a great waiter, Taylor, who made his rounds promptly at 11am to hand out menus and bring meals and drinks to people. I tried one of their famed Mojitos- in blood orange flavor- and it was good. Delicious and potent, just what I'd expect of an $11 drink!

Room: The room was rather small for a king room, but the bathroom was big and luxurious feeling. I was happy to have the balcony for when my children were sleeping. The bed was comfortable. Standard room- I would save it is average. Def was a very far walk to get ice, to the lobby, or to the pool (all in the same location). We were in room 3076.

Housekeeping: Their worst flaw, by far. I was pretty upset that after literally being out of our room from 6:30am-2pm I returned with both children desperately needing to get out of the sun and take their naps and found our room STILL not cleaned. If I was home, I would have just cleaned the darn thing myself, but I can't. This is a resort and it the housekeeping should be on the same level of service as the rest of their hotel. When the maid finally did come at 3pm everyone was asleep. I had her just take the old towels and tidy up the bathroom, but was unable to get a full cleaning, by far. Not a big deal. Until the next day, when it happened again. And the next day, again!! How is it possible that rooms are seriously not being cleaned until the mid afternoon?? To me, that is not ok. It is frustrating to live with a 4 person family in a 100sf room without a proper cleaning all week. Also to have given them ample time all day to clean the room and come by to find it still lived-in (with all of our baby blankets, toys, valuables, etc picked up before we leave in the morning to prepare... only to take them all out again upon returning).

Pool: Loved the poolside, see pictures from others. It is as gorgeous as you can imagine with the mountains in the background and rolling golf greens ahead.

Rawhide: Disappointment. We went on a weekday night and it was deserted. It felt very strange, and we got out of there after walking up and down the small town once. It is only about 1 city block long, much smaller than I thought after looking at their website. The restaurant was good- a huge room with a live performer and over-priced menu. My ribs were quite tough and dry, not tender fall-off-the-bone, esp for the price they charge. Still a good experience and something to break up the week of Wild Horse. Free water taxi, which is half of the experience right there.

Casino: Had the best meal our first night at the Asian take-out counter service here (the sesame chicken plate) that we had to repeat it on our last night. However, we felt very uncomfortable bringing our girls here even just to eat so my husband went in to get the food (the second time we were there) and we ate it out at their gorgeous fountains outside. Free shuttle from the resort, on a 20 min cycle. Its a 10 min drive. The casino is quite small (in my opinion) with 2 restaurants and 4 take out places.

Room Tip: There are 4 floors. The higher, the better the view. The rooms with a good view have an SPG prefer...
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I attended this resort for a conference for the first time. Very relaxing place, clean rooms. Spa was excellent! I cannot say enough about the service staff running the conference. They were very attentive and our needs never went unattended. I would also like to point that Matt, our server at the pool, was the best waiter we had at the resort. He bent over backwards to make sure we had the best customer service possible! Very impressed!!!! Will be back for vacation for sure!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Lauren J
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My biggest issue is the total LACK of management contact. I'd left a phone message and sent the GM 2 emails about the sewage smell that occurs throughout the day.

Additionally, the housekeeping is poor, and room was dirty, including a pair of kids socks left under the ottoman, that house keeping missed. There is a spider web in one corner that is huge.

Further, there are A LOT of mosquitos in the room. We kill 20-30 a day, and are not opening the doors. The seem to get in another way.

Positives, we received good Platinum recognition and a nice upgrade (expect for the filth and smell).

Room Tip: Rooms are super far from check in. Park near Spa if your located out that way. Saves a lot of walkin...
2 Thank MTACCHI
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

Overall, I very nice place. Was here for a three-day conference. The service by the conference staff was very professional and friendly.

The food was good and the rooms are very comfortable.

My take is that this us a great place for a conference, but would chose other Starwood properties in Phoenix or Scottsdale for a personal vacation.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Thomas D
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 10, 2012

There are two hotels on the Gila Indian Reservation named WILDHORSE PASS HOTEL. My former flatmate and I stayed at the Sheraton Wildhorse Pass Resort, which is not connected to the Casino, located about 3 miles west of the Interstate 10 Freeway.

The road to reach the Resort is narrow and winding, passing numerous golf courses and natural scenery. Hotel Registration is basically at the end of the road. If you don’t want the valet to park your vehicle, there are 2 self parking areas, both located far from Registration. We parked in Maricopa Area and had to pull luggage through long hallways and use the elevator before reaching Check in Desk on the third floor. Along the way we passed a room with the screen door blown off its rollers, leaning against a patio chair.

As an SPG Gold Member I requested 4 PM late check out, which was granted immediately by Brandi, who greeted me in her Native Language. She upgraded our room as well, which turned out to be close to Registration on the same floor. I chose Points as my Welcome Amenity.

The Room is designated as STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST ROOM by a plaque on the door. The décor is beautiful Native influence using natural wood and tones to color the resort and rooms. The patio view was spectacular—overlooking the Pools and Golf Courses—mountain ranges in the far distance with expanses of natural desert beauty.
There are colorful framed pieces of Art by Local Artists on the walls, and leather armchair with footrest featuring a cotton throw blanket also designed by Native Artists. There is HD large screen with HD programming and a mini-bar with fully stocked wet bar. Bathrobe, hair dryer, coffee maker and a small safe are also provided.

The best feature of the room is definitely the bed—so comfortable and covered with billowy pillows. I could’ve slept all day and night if I were allowed. But we decided to go to the Casino for dinner (we won enough money to pay for it!) at Louis and Ling Asian Restaurant. We also checked out ARIA, the nightclub at the Casino, which has no cover on a Saturday night. Perfect place to have a nightcap on the open air patio behind the live DJ. We slept very well when we returned to the Hotel.

Breakfast in Ko’Sin Restaurant featured a buffet as well as ala carte menu The food options are many including sausage, bacon, biscuits & gravy, smoked trout, lox, cereals, breads & croissants, pancakes, etc. Unfortunately the eggs were not done well and could be cut into squares with a knife. I opted for the made-to-order omelette instead. Buffet comes with free coffee & orange juice. I tried the tap water and found it slightly syrupy. We charged the meal to our room.

Management came knocking at 12:15 PM despite my 4 PM checkout. A man with a clipboard informed me that we “weren’t on the list” when I told him I asked for late check out. We had put out the DO NOT DISTURB sign the night before but this did not seem to have much influence at the time. I suggest a phone call to the room before knocking under these circumstances. I had wanted to stay and use the pool but this incident and a massive approaching dust storm made me decide to leave early.

Checkout was quick and efficient. I dragged my luggage back down the long hallways and elevator back to Maricopa parking area. When I exited the Hotel I now saw two (2)screen doors blown off their hinges—both leaning on patio furniture.

Room Tip: Any rooms facing the Pools have a super view of the Natural Desert.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
tucson
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The hotel staff couldn't be more helpful. We had a suite with an adjoining room and it was
plenty big for 2 adults and 3 kids. The pool area with one slide is ok. Not enough shade. We took the boat over to Rawhide town for dinner and the kids enjoyed the food, petting zoo, rock climbing wall, stage coach ride and more.Overall in 2 days and one night we packed a lot of fun in

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!