“Bring an extra credit card.”

Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass
Ranked #6 of 32 Hotels in Chandler
tucson
“Bring an extra credit card.”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We visit upscale Phoenix and Tucson resorts a few times during the summer taking advantage of the greatly reduced prices. Although we live in a golf resort community north of Tucson, we enjoy these getaways just as a change of scenery and to spend some fun time with our grandson. Having stayed at many of these normally very expensive places during the past few years we would have to rate the Wild Horse resort as mediocre relative to the others we've stayed at. The room prices were very cheap but once you're there be prepared to spend a lot of money. One expects to pay the high resort fees for food and beverage these places charge, but at the Wild Horse we constantly felt we were being gouged; i.e. two brandies-$40, two martinis-$30 and the restaurant prices especially the Kai were exorbitant. If you like eat all you want breakfasts, I guess the Kai Sin buffet for $20 was reasonable. Room service for a piece of cake and a small container of ice cream was $20 without the tip. Dinner at the Kai Sin one evening for four adults was over $360 with the tip however the food was very good and the service was excellent.

The weekend we were there we saw many scruffy type people in the pools which made us wonder if these people were actual guests of the resort or area people just coming over to use the facilities. Others have commented on the cleanliness of the rooms however we had a few issues regarding cleanliness and the tired look of much of the furniture. Others also have mentioned the noise heard between rooms and we agree that this could be an issue.

We took a day to visit the casino and restaurants at the nearby hotel/casino and were unfavorably impressed. Usually the area Indian run facilities are a good bargain in terms of room and food prices. Not this place. Rooms even during the way off season were very expensive and we had dinner at the Chinese place in the casino that was an unqualified disaster; terrible food nothing resembling Chinese as we know it, also quite expensive considering this place would euphemistically be considered "casual".

On the positive side the the friendliness and efficiency of the staff was terrific. There is a free shuttle between the hotels and the shuttle drivers were always available and very helpful.

Everything considered we did have a good time with the family. But having stayed at other area resorts offering cheap summer rates with less of a feeling that we were being held hostage to outrageous ancillary expenses, we would not return to this place. Especially if traveling with young kids consider the fact that there were absolutely no special activities for kids except the pools and water slide. At recent stays at other resorts there was an abundance of things to do from watermelon eating contests, outdoor movies, pool games and even pond fishing at one place.

Room Tip: Many of the rooms overlook the lagoon or pools but are more expensive. Valet parking was available...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bill m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Korean first
Texas
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My daughter and I visited this resort for a mom/daughter outing. We stayed 3 nights. Love the atmosphere here- there is a calming peaceful feel. It also helps that it was off-season and we could enjoy the pool with quiet :). Went horseback riding- beautiful! Had a wonderful trail guide- I think Brian was his name (??). We also visited the spa, and Sharon, along with the attendant could not have been more pleasant and accommodating! They put the extra touches on our trip and we are greatly thankful! Staff is wonderful. Awesome rooms and super-comfy beds! Yes, the rooms can be far from the lobby, but it's a cool, air-conditioned walk. We enjoyed the cool exercise. The food can be pricey, but you can take advantage of large portions by sharing meals and drinking lots of YUMMY smoothies at the Hanyo Bar. You can also take the shuttle to the casino to grab some cheaper fare. Took the boat to RawHide and really enjoyed the experience. If you're looking for a resort away from the city- this is the one! It's wonderful to look out from your balcony and experience--- peace and quiet. Also great to see the moon and stars from a desert view. Our room overlooked the mountains and pool.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool and mountains are perfect!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jujuscorner
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed July 28, 2012

We took the entire family (husband, I and our two babies) in June this past year for my husband's conference. We usually stay at a comprable resort in Scottsdale when we vacation in Phoenix and this was our first time at this resort. Location is nice and remote and you must have a car to drive 15 minutes to hit Chandler and all the good eateries and such there. We inquired ahead of arrival on room sizes as we need two cribs and usually try to upgrade to a bigger room. Unfortunately, all the rooms at this resor are standard rooms, unless you upgrade to an executive suite (too big for our needs) and way over our budget! I also requested a small fridge for our room as I am breastfeeding and storing milk and was told that I would receive it, no charge to our room. No charge? I stay at the finest hotels around the world and was never told I would be charged a fridge to store my breastmilk. Also, most resorts these days supply coolers in the rooms.

We arrived and was given the lowest grade room possible and they gave us a double room instead of the king we requested facing the parking lot. We returned with bellhop in tow and I had to beg the front desk guy (he seemed pretty expressionless and never even smiled) if we could have a Preferred room as my husband has that status with Sheraton. A family next to us checked in and I overheard the front desk tell her that she cannot put two rollaway beds in her room since it was a fire hazard, so they upgraded her (no charge) to an executive suite...REally? We have two cribs! He told me all the suites were sold out for an upgrade and would give us a pool view room. We cam in to our really small king room and housekeeping was not succesfful to put two cribs. They wanted to remove the sitting chair and ottaman, but I needed a chair for feeding. Houskeeping tried to get a at least two adjoining rooms to place a crib, but due the conference, all was sold out. SO, we removed one crib and our 2 year old ended up in bed with us every night (we never slept) and he even fell off the bed and hurt himself the second night. Our 6 month old barely had room to crawl and discovered presents from previous on the dirty carpet every day. By the way, we stayed 7 nights total there, I coudn't way to get home to a normal sized bedroom!

Housekeeping: what can I say but don't expect them to come and clean your room before 4pm. I would call daily before goign to the pool with my kids to clean (around 10 am) and would return to find the room uncleaned and boys unable to take their afternoon nap. We opted out of being "environment" and needed daily houskeeping as we have two babies and you know what a mess that can be daily. On the 6th day, I asked to speak to a supervisor as our boys never got a nap and our room never vacuumed or cleaned properly that entire week. I am suprised they do not have bedbugs there. AT night, keep the light on in the bathhroom or you will discover some neighbors on the floor. Natural for the environment we were staying in but not natural to have so many bugs as they never clean the rooms.
The bathroom was the only nice part as it was large, and could accomodate my entire family in it while I bathed and could bathe the babies int he tub.

The pool was nice, but make sure if you order food, you eat it quickly and give back to the pool waiters quickly as the birds will get into your stash.

Teh icing on the cake was that we extended our trip post conference for two days so my husband could relax with us at the resort. On day 6, we recieved a note that they were going to re-do the entire pool area,but that it would only affect the bar area by the pool. On on our last two days of the resort stay, they closed all but one pool, had no food or drink service and it was noisey due to the powerwashing of the pool and all guests were crowded into one pool. They still charged us the normal rate for the resort even with that inconvenience. REally? I know its off-season, so charge rates according to facilities that you have to offer. Food was ridiculously overpriced, even for kids, and thankfully for the fridge, I could stash essentials for my toddler.

Overall, My family will not stay here and continute to stay at our usual resort in Phoenix. They accomodated nicely for conferences, but I would not call this a family friendly hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room but dont' expect upgrades, even with status, Is is a luck of the draw...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Amy E
Pelham, New Hampshire
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The setting is beautiful and the golf is good, too. If golfing, shop around on one of the online discount tee-time companies for a better rate. The person at the front desk was very nice about giving us a room with a balcony facing the pool and golf course (which I requested). As other reviewers have mentioned, I do not think hotels in this price range should charge extra for wi-fi in the room either, but there is complimentary wi-fi in the lobby area. The restaurants were a bit pricey, also. We enjoyed a snack and drinks from the pool bar which was very relaxing. There are plenty of restaurants in the Chandler area where you can find more moderately priced meals. They are only about a 10 minute drive away at the next exit. Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to pay more to enjoy a property of this quality. The rooms are very well appointed and I found splurging here to be worth it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
DFW
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I have attended Conventions all over the Country and this was by far one of the Best, if not the Best, that I have ever stayed in. The Rooms were reasonable sized, but the separate Showers and Tubs in the Baths really made it enjoyable. The Staff were always friendly, and when there was any type of a problem, they were all over it in a Heartbeat to get it right. I am very critical of Hotels and Restaurants, and this Hotel does it right, or makes it right!!!

If you are going to be there for a while on Vacation or Convention, be sure to get on the list early for a Mini-Ref for your room. My biggest complaint is the overall Hotel size as it is so spread out, so I recommend you ask for a Room by the Lobby Elevators, which will put you close to the Lobby for leaving, close to the Bar for Drink, and close to the Convention Hall. But if you like exercise, you will get in lots of walking.

One of the nicest features is the Complementary Valet Parking for a person with Handicapped Tags.

The Food prices are VERY high, so if you have time, take the Shuttle over to the Casino for your Meals as the prices there are much better.

I only gave it an Average for Value as I think ALL Hotels are overpriced, but most do NOT even get Average from me. You just might think it is a deal.

Room Tip: Stay close to the Elevators unless you like walking.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JeromeW99
SHeckathorne, Public Relations Manager at Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share details of your recent stay with us with your fellow travelers. It is an honor to hear that while you travel frequently for business, you would still rank us among the best.

We take great pride in our esteemed and talented colleagues and are so thrilled to hear that they connected with you in a warm and meaningful way.

With regard to our layout and size; when we designed the resort we wanted a space that replicated and provided the most views of the nearby mountain range. So while that does make for a spacious building, we do our very best to accommodate requests for adjoining or near lobby rooms.

We appreciate all of your insights and details. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Thank you, again.

Stephanie Sanstead
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I visited to speak at a client's function. The hotel is spacious, clean, and brings the spirit of the Southwest to life. In typical Sheraton fashion the rooms are clean, well decorated and the bed very comfortable. Wireless and wired Internet is available in the rooms for a fee. There is nothing at all wrong with this hotel - it is very solid and nice. There is just nothing especially special or terrific either. That said, I didn't experience the amenities such as the pool or walking trails. Of the two restaurants I can in contact with, one wouldn't allow me in in jeans because it was "business casual." The other was fine with tasty food and fine service.

Room Tip: Ask for a Starwood Preferred traveler room. They are a little out of the way, but very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Rome, GA
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Don't believe all you hear about 110+ degrees doesn't feel hot because it is "dry heat". Well hot is hot, but inside the Sheraton Wild Horse Pass Resort, the minute you walk in the door you are handed a bottle of cold water and it just gets better. The mostly Native American staff could not have been nicer. So too for the college age help working to help pay their tuition. Located on the Indian Reservation, the resort is carved out of the desert with lush green golf links in stark contrast to the browns of the desert. We were there for a meeting and all of the facilities were first class. The three level lobby was a breath taker when we first saw it and it was great standing on the third floor lobby looking over the pool deck, the golf course, and the desert. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and a pleasure to stay in. The bathrooms with the huge glassed in shower and the soaker tub made a wonderful end of day soak so relaxing. Drinks and food next to the bar were nice when you entered the area through the misters. Just one thing, if you don't want a hike to your room, ask for something close to the lobby or your can really get your excercise going back and forth to your rooms. There is no doubt that we will stay here again. One note on the casino that is just down the road. If smoke bothers you, take on another activity. Even the "No Smoking" slots were right out in the open in the casino so this is not a advertisement for the anti second hand smoking campaign. Thank goodness, this was not the policy of the resort and it was totally non smoking.

Room Tip: You can request a mountain view or a golf/desert view. Remember, tell them you like to be closer to...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank buzzrome
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Arizona Grand Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Scottsdale Resort and Spa at Gainey Ranch
Arizona Biltmore, A Waldorf Astoria Resort
Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort
Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs Resort

Been to Sheraton Grand at Wild Horse Pass? Share your experiences!