“Not fair for me to judge”
Review of Mimita's Cuban Cafe - CLOSED

Mimita's Cuban Cafe
Cuisines: Cuban
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I never had Cuban food before, and I do not particularly like Mexican, but thought I would give Cuban a try. We had shrimp in a tomato sauce with black beans and rice. The others loved their food, I thought it was OK, but didn't care for the spices. They weren't hot spicy, just flavorful, with a citrus type base. I will leave judgement to those who know this style of food better than I.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband grew up in Miami, and I have visited there many times myself, so we were excited to experience some authentic Cuban food and beverages. This restaurant has excellent food, with many choices in entrees, as well as quality ingredients, including some items that seem to difficult to find in the valley. The food is authentic, and they have many specialty items like Jupina (pineapple soda) and café con leche that we only find here. Of course, you should try the Cuban sandwich, and they also have excellent fried yucca-delish! We also love the flan and tres leches for dessert.
Another thing we really appreciate about this restaurant is that the owners are really trying hard to please customers. (sounds basic, but so many establishments just treat you like cattle, and don't seem to appreciate your business!) The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating, the décor improves a little each time we visit, and the chef came to our table to inquire as to our experience. The customer service is really outstanding for a restaurant of this size, in this price range. Please try this restaurant!

Reviewed November 18, 2012

There don't seem to be many Cuban restaurants around, and if you are looking for something different than Mexican, I suggest you go to Mimita's. I am by no means an expert on Cuban food, but I really enjoyed the wide selection found on the menu. They also have different type dishes, for example I had the Ropa Vieja which was shredded beef that was seasoned with cumin -- it was excellent. Platanos is another dish you don't find too often at other restaurants. Also, Cuban food is not spicy like Mexican food. Like I said, if you are looking for something different, try Mimita's.

Reviewed June 15, 2012

We have been looking for a Cuban restaurant that served their customers traditional Cuban food that my wife remembers from growing up in Havana. Wow, were we surprised (a good thing)! We recommend Mimita's for families, couples, friends, or business. Although the decor is not fancy, it's typical of the best restaurants in Miami on Calle Ocho. We loved it!

Reviewed April 2, 2012

My wife & I visited it on Saturday 3-31. this place is the latest in this strip mall corner location ( I count 5 previous). Decor is quite basic, but food is good. I had the mediadelnoche, she had the cuban sandwich. The server, Eden, was very attentive. As this was about 3 p.m., restaurant was pretty empty. After a couple of Negras and a Pacifico, the food arrived. The plantain chips were fresh, authentic and very good. The sandwiches were pretty authentic, but not the best I've had.
I will try a cuban sampler plate next time, if I go back. It is worth a try. It lacks draft beer, which would help.The flan is exceptional.