“Disgusting”
Review of Motel 6 Chandler

Motel 6 Chandler
Ranked #27 of 34 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed February 8, 2008

Stayed at this Disgusting hotel on our trip through US in Jan/Feb.

The rooms stunk of cheap deodorant, the beds were dirty, including hairs on the linen, the shower curtain could have been used for medical experiments with what was growing on it, and the toilet was filthy....AND NO HAIR DRYER, an unbearable sin according to my wife!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had to pay a premium rate for this Hotel as it was Superbowl weekend whilst we were in town.
I don't mind having to pay extra during peak periods, however the nearly $200 for this dump of a room for 1 night was just outrageous.

Would have gone elsewhere if I could have found something.

Left a very bad impression of Motel6, although I doubt they are all this bad.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank eggheadSydney

Reviewed March 12, 2007

Room strongly smelled of lemon cleaner. We tried to switch rooms but all had same problem.
Please note that "free wifi" only means in the office, not available in the rooms!
Also -- their website says it is a new location, but it is NOT a new motel; it was an old motel that is newly acquired by Motel 6.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank Northtexas
Reviewed September 9, 2006

If you don't mind being the main course to bed-bugs...it's great for a budget. Enough said.

• Stayed: October 2005
2  Thank #1SWfan
Reviewed May 27, 2006

The room was a bit tired -- stains on the chairs, older fixtures in the bathroom, etc. But it was reasonably comfortable and the TV had a lot of channels (though the remote was anchored to one end table). The main problems were 1) very thin walls. You could make out the words when the TV was on next door, and 2) too much air freshener, and a sort of musty odor in the bathroom. We paid in the mid-$60s and you can find better deals than this place -- including the Red Roof Inn down the street.

The towels had been through the mill, and they didn't give us enough. The front desk staff was helpful enough, though a bit confused -- we were at first checked into a room that was already occupied!

The continental breakfast was awful -- old donuts wrapped in plastic and a pitcher of cheap, bulk orange juice. They probably offer this repast to satisfy some AAA diamond requirements.

We had been planning to stay two nights but cut it short after one.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank The-Motel-Mavens
Reviewed April 15, 2006

My husband & I arrived in Chandler, AZ planning on spending one night in a hotel/motel. The exit we took off the freeway was on the recommendation of friends. They said there were several hotel/motels in the area. We arrived at a bad time as there were many activities going on in the Phoenix area so after checking out 4 hotel/motels & finding no one had a vacancy we came upon the Southgate Motel. Don't let the appearance of the outside of the office area fool you. It's quite impressive, but that's all that was impressive. We were told that it was undergoing some remodeling so therefore, they were discounting rates. The total charge which, of course, included taxes for the one night for 2 people was $100.45. I can't believe that was a discounted rate - not for this place. I feel I paid $100.45 too much! It was most apparent they had been working in the room we were in so I can forgive there being no baseboards, but there was debris all over the carpeting. They could have at least vacuumed it. The fire alarm had been disconnected & was just laying in the room. We reported that & someone did come & hook it up. The sheets & the pillow cases on the beds did not match & were stained. When we got ready to retire for the night we discovered there wasn't any dead bolt or night chain on the door. Anyone could have broke in. We pushed a small table up against the door & put some of our luggage on top of it. Believe me, when I say the room we had in no way resembled the picture you show on this web site. During the month that we were traveling we stayed a total of 12 nights in hotel/motels & this was by far not only the worse one, but it was more expensive than many others that were very nice. I really believe Southgate Motel should have been paying us to stay there rather than the other way around. I would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Tapps Lady
A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland,Ohio
Reviewed October 15, 2005

I just wanted people to know that after finding the local phone number to the motel and calling it this morning , I asked the person who answered the phone is this the number were I would make a reservation? What he said confused me for a second, "Well we really are not taking any reservations because the new owner is doing remodeling" I said what about making reservations using the internet because just before calling them direct I was ready to confirm reservations for Nov 18 thru Nov.20 2005. I asked him what do think I should do and he said"call back around the 15th of november to see if they have any room ready at that time". My question is what would have happened if I would have used the internet and knew nothing of this remodeling? Like I said I hope I can help someone else thinking about staying at the Southgate Motel this month or next.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Antioch, CA
Reviewed October 17, 2004

Had an unexpected stop (10/10) at Chandler, Arizona. We came upon Southgate Motel. Southgate was more than we expected. It's in a great location off I-10, restaurants and stores near by. The staff was very helpful and pleasant (Frank's the "Man"). The only down falls are that the walls are thin (you can hear the TV from the next room), and that the AC was loud (but definitely kept you cool). Overall I would stay and recommond this budgeted motel.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chandler
Chandler Southgate Hotel
#13 of 34 in Chandler
Quality Inn
#24 of 34 in Chandler
Ahwatukee Foothills
La Quinta Inn & Suites Phoenix Chandler

Been to Motel 6 Chandler? Share your experiences!