“And what were Travel & Leisure thinking?”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Chou's Kitchen

Chou's Kitchen
Ranked #74 of 657 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
“And what were Travel & Leisure thinking?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

And what were the food critics of Travel & Leisure smoking when they voted Chou's "Best Chinese Restaurants in the US"? We've been hearing about this place for a years or so, everyone "RAVES" about the food. We finally read about it in the Travel & Leisure and gave it a shot today for lunch at 12:15 PM. Coming from NYC and dining at the best tiny holes in the wall, our expectations were high especially based on previous reviews read.

Customer service was very friendly, though a bit slow. Now onto the food review, I knew we were in trouble when I ordered hot tea and I opened the lid to see if the tea was ready and it was a tea bag instead of tea leaves, additionally the water that was delivered to the table had a horrible taste to it. We order:
- Hot and sour soup for 2, may have been the best part of our lunch, good, but didn't pack a punch on either spicy or sour.
- Beef Pies, what's all the hype, took a bite and got a mouthful of greasy juice, ground up mystery meat which was wrapped in a fried pancake.
- Steamed dumplings with pork and napa cabbage, again OK, these may have been the best choice out of all the dumplings, they came out hot and were OK tasting.
- Fried pork buns, horrible, doughy and the filling had no taste.
- Orange Chicken, OK tasting, a little heavy on the batter and was not orange tasting enough.

All in all not a repeat visit in our book and certainly not a Travel & Leisure's "Best Chinese Restaurants in the US" vote from us.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank akdeepdiver

Tempe
“shao lin bao(soup dumpling) 2-17-13 outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

I read the article that said this is the best Chinese restaurant in Arizona. Being a native Phoenician, I decided to try it. It was so authentic I was shocked. The article also mentioned another top ranked restaurant in also in Chandler. Topp's fast food? on Ray Road and McClintock. This was a major disappointment. Dumpling soup was terrible -- barely cooked carrots. Chou's diners intercepted us on their way out and stated how good the food was. Two lady owners were busy preparing dumplings. I had to let them know how good the food was. Try anything. I will return with a plan - start with No1 and work to the end after many visits.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Freddy1936
Oregon
“Great find!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Very modest facility located in a strip mall but the food was very interesting, different and well worth a visit. This was my first visit but I am looking forward to a return. Hopefully it will be soon. I highly recommend this for adventursome diners.

Scottsdale, Arizona
“"Shao Lin Bao”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This is an update from my previous review. OMG! They now have amazing shao lin bao(soup dumpling) on their menu. They are very close to the ones at the famous Din Tai Fung's in China. There are two DTF's in Ca., and one in Seattle. If you've been to one, then you know what I'm talking about.The juicy pork dumplings are filled with a hot soup broth, so careful how you bite into them. You get seven pieces for $6.98. This and the beef pies are a must. Can't go wrong! The stir fry beef noodles and the shredded to-fu with Chinese celery are excellent. These are my favorites.

I've noticed now, there are many non Asians than before This place can get pretty busy.
Went on a Sunday at 11:30, and there were a few tables left. When we were leaving, people were waiting.This a very small place. Go early! They open at 11:00, and closed on Wed. The dishes are authentic, so go there with an open mind ,and enjoy. You will not regret! Reasonable prices and portions.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank judy k
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

I have been here many, many times, and it just gets better. The food truly are amazing. And they don't use msg. Everything tastes so fresh, because they make their own noodles. And yes, the lady rolls the dough right in front of you.
Must have are the beef pies. They come in 3 per order, and they are so moist and juicy. Delicious! Be careful not to burn yourself, because they are hot. I make a dipping sauce with vinegar and soy sauce. I also enjoy their dumplings with chives, pork, and shrimp. The pan fried noodles with beef is the one of the best I've had. The aroma of the bean curd with pork and celery is enough to devour the plate.
I dine here on Sundays for lunch, and has been busier. Come before noon.Very reasonable for the portions. Service is friendly and helpful. Always greet with a big smile! If you are looking for a unique and authentic Chinese, this is a must. Not your ordinary!

• Visited September 2012