“Great food/questionable servers” 4 of 5 stars

The Living Room
Ranked #166 of 610 Restaurants in Chandler
Cuisines: Bar, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
az
“Great food/questionable servers”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

Let me begin with the great news, the food is fantastic! I've had multiple menu items and have been happy each time; so has everyone else at my table. Happy hour is great time to go.
The setting is comfortable and relaxing. There are board games available to play while you are hanging out. Now for something gross. I was there on Monday and we sat inside since outside seating was packed. It was Happy Hour. We were seated near the bar/server's station where the plates and eating utensils are kept. A man (who I gathered from his interactions with the other employees was in charge) walked over to the server's station, picked up a small stack of plates, held them in one and and with a finger from his left hand rubbed for a good few seconds the crevice behind his ear. Then he used that same hand to pick out the utensils and walked away to a table. Not only was that sickening but he also appeared to be slightly inebriated. Moving passed that... I wish they would serve the fondue in a different contraption. The wind blew out our candle immediately after it was set before us. After relighting, it once again went out. This isn't well thought out since the place is open air. ( Which also means, when someone is smoking out front, you smell it inside. )

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars

Phoenix, Arizona
“Always a lively after work option”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a great upscale afterwork or evening hang. They offer many "skinny" beverages. Food is limited to appetizers but they now two sister restaurants - Sushi Room and Chop within the same shopping center for full-service dining.

Visited January 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“Casual & Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Group place to sit comfortably, just like in your own "living room', but having someone else do the cooking & serving. Good atmosphere, food & drink

• Visited January 2013
Phoenix, AZ
“I agree with Livin”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

So much potential...obviously they have all the business they need because they don't seem too concerned about having customers come back. Have been there when the place is empty, and have been there when the place is packed, almost always for happy hour. I think the food is overpriced for what it is, but we do enjoy the cheese fondue and bruchetta. Most recent frustration was the seating issue--we go there to sit on the sofas outside. (We're a twosome) Two sofas were vacant, but we were told they were "expecting a group." There were no inside tables we really wanted--"host" said, oh, go sit there--2 hours later we were still on our sofa and no group had materialized. C'mon, folks!

• Visited December 2012
Oregon
“So much potential but....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

As a professional in the industry I spent some time wine bar hopping in Arizona and wanted to check out The Living Room. The wine selection was great, bottles and glasses, nice menu and great restaurant layout. Unfortunately the afternoon I was there with a friend they staff was inattentive and looked bored. Since it was a wine bar I expected to be told of the happy hour specials and the wine by the bottle specials, I also expected the staff to be able to talk about the wines they offered. Our server didn't do any of those things. Even when you don't know a wine you should at least offer to ask someone, which he didn't. The little things that went wrong out-shadowed the positives of this restaurant: asking for water and never getting it (twice); asking for a wine bottle list and getting it after two attempts; being told we couldn't sit in the bar because a large party had it reserved (4 hours later from the time we arrived) and finally, I asked for the local cab number so we could continue our wine bar hopping; the server insisted on calling for us, after waiting outside for 25 minutes I walked back in he took one look at me and realized that he forgot to call!?! Wow! I understand we all have those nights but man! I hope the owners take a hard look at their establishment and realize that they could be much more profitable if they train staff on wine, service and etiquette. Especially when you never know who you will be serving.

• Visited December 2012