“Delusions of grandeur”

Chandler Southgate Hotel
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed February 26, 2009

This hotel seems to think very highly of itselt but has a ways to go. The Sleep Number beds are not like those you could buy...they have what feels like a wooden (think 2x4 boards) frame around the mattress, so sitting on the edge of the bed is like perching on a skinny piece of wood. Needless to say, this is not comfy! The beds also tend to readjust themselves throughout the night, so if you set it at one number, you may awaken to something quite different. My least favorite moment at this hotel was on Saturday morning. The hotel has a table set up adjacent to the front desk, upon which is either a coffee urn or a water dispenser, depending on the time of day. On Saturday morning, I went to get a cup of coffee, but the only thing on the table was a stack of cups and some napkins. Thinking the coffee was being prepared, I asked and was told the "waitress in the restaurant would take care of" me. When I asked the waitress for a cup of coffee, she asked me if I wanted to buy one. It seems there is no free coffee in the lobby on weekends. Neither are there any newspapers, although I know this is common at most hotels. I felt the lack of coffee on weekends was very cheap and not too classy. The bathrooms are also rather marginal. There is NO water pressure in the shower (which is plumbed for someone who plays for the NBA) and the tubs have some sort of coating that seems to be peeling off. The hot tub/spa was closed during part of my stay "for the safety of hotel guests". Not sure what that means, but it doesn't sound good. One evening there was a wedding reception taking place and the entire lobby area was commandeered by the wedding guests.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
suzannevan, Director of Sales at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2009

It is always disappointing to hear that a guests is unhappy with our hotel, for either service issues or for the layout or details of the property. I am very sorry that the bedding (or rather the bed frame) was uncomfortable for our guest, and in fact we have several standard beds for any guest who finds the Select Comfort Sleep Number Bed unsatisfactory for their needs. Our aim is to satisfy every single guest and we will do anything we possibly can to alleviate any problems we are contacted about.
I truly hope this guest comes back to our hotel at least one more time, and, since on the survey they indicated that they would recommend us to a friend , I believe that there is that possiblity. Our hotel has made tremendous strides in service excellence in the past few months and our comment cards and internal memos also convey that sentiment. I hope we have the opportunity to prove just how much we have improved.
Thank you for your input and comments.

There are newer reviews for Chandler Southgate Hotel

Reviewed January 28, 2009

My friends and I enjoyed our stay. The room was spacious, clean and the beds were the most comfortable beds we've ever slept in. The food was great and so was the service. The hotel is conveniently located near many shops and restaurants. I highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed August 24, 2008

The best thing about this hotel is that it is right by the freeway. It is also is within walking distance of a Marie Callendar's restaurant. That was nice for us as after a long drive we didn't want to get in the car again. The only way for me to describe this place is creepy. We had a room on the first floor and it felt like I was staying in a basement. There were stains on the carpet and the furniture was ratty looking. One redeeming feature was the good people working there. We enjoyed talking with them and learning more about the area.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed February 17, 2008

Booked my room through hotwire.
Free parking at this hotel.

Reception was great, room was spacious and bathroom was clean & spacious.

I got a room with the sleep number bed...the bed was very comfortable and I would recommend it.

Bathroom was clean and well stocked with the standard. No problem with water pressure/temperature.

Location wise, this place is alright if you drive.

Would surely stay here again.

*No free breakfast

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2008

This hotel was sold as three star where I bought the stay, but it is definitely not. It is a decent two star at best. I thought I was getting a great deal on a nice three star, but definitely was not. The hotel is not terrible, but just is not what is or other sites claim it to be. The hotel was nicely decorated, but it was only on the surface. The bathroom was very small and old. The hotel is non-smoking, but our room had the faint aroma of smoke and there were ashed under the phone. There was a very nice courtyard with a pool, but being December, we couldn't try it out.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 10, 2007

This is a typical example of "you get what you pay for". Thought
the price was very reasonable, but it became obvious why.
This property allows pets. One visitor brought 2 dogs and
left them unattended until 1:30AM. Guess what? they barked
all night and the hotel had to clear the floor. Not allowed to
move the dogs as they are considered "property". Spend a
little more and stay at a place that doesn't allow pets if you
want to actually sleep at night. The day staff were VERY pleasant and accomodating, as were the cleaning staff. The night manager may need a refresher course in customer relations (although he was the one dealing with the angry floor over the dogs which could make anyone unpleasant!).

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
suzannevan, Director of Sales at Chandler Southgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

I want to make a special note that the problem addressed by this reviewer will not happen again; except for service animals, the Radisson Hotel Phoenix Chandler now does not allow pets. Please know that our guests will not be disturbed by any barking or other noises of that type.
We are committed to the finest service possible and our guests are definitely our top priority.

Reviewed November 17, 2007

Only stayed one night at this hotel but it was pleasent. Staff were very helpful and friendly & room was clean. The hotel has a nice pool area & a few venues to eat at within walking distance.
Not a large selection of viewing on TV and movies are expensive but would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007