“Could use a remodel”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We tried this place for the first time over the weekend. I had never heard of it before searching for wine bars in Chandler but found that it had been open for almost 5 years. We asked for a booth and the onle one available was right behind the hostess just inside the open door. It didn't appeal to me so we decided to try outside. There was a misting system running so it wasn't too hot. We walked around the corner but the open bar was blaring music so we opted for a table closer to the front. By this time the receptionist, who wasn't friendly to begin with, was annoyed.
Our waiter was nice and brought water. We had a coupon for a free appetizer send went with the chicken quesadilla. We had a Pinot noir and a moscato which we both good. The quesadilla was okay but the black beans thrown in did nothing for it.
By this time the flies were getting the best of us so we moved indoors before our entrees were served. There were fewer flies, but we could see a layer of dust on the booth by the door. My wine glass left a circle of clean table when I picked it up so the dust must blow in through the open door. The decor is below average and the tables were too close together. The man at the next table actually came between my husband and me when he leaned back.
The food was good. The pear and apple salad had a nice dressing but too much cheese. The bison burger came without any condiments. Had to wait for dressing.
When we checked the bill we had been charged for the free appetizer. Had to wait again while the bill was adjusted.
We are looking for a nice close wine bar to enjoy once in a while. This is not it.

There are newer reviews for Fired Up Grill

Reviewed May 28, 2014

It's so close by and the happy hour menu is a great deal, and so we keep going back. But every single time we go I get annoyed with several things. First, they only offer three beers on tap. Second, the service is always spotty. A server will be uncomfortably over-attentive at the beginning of the meal, then we have to hunt him down to get the check. I never understand this. It always seems to me like delaying our paying the bill is a huge liability. The food can be spotty too. At this meal we got to regularly priced items and to happy hour items. The most expensive item, the elk meatballs, were bland, dry, and a sure never-order-again.

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Great food! Tried thus neighborhood restaurant and LOVED it. I had thin spaghetti with a light Chardonnay sauce with clams, scallops and shrimp. They have half and whole orders. Half was still a good. Portion. My husband had the sea bass and loved it. They have pizza and other great items. We went on a Sat night and they had a live band. Very casual . They have happy hour everyday. Priced are reasonable. My dish was $11.00 my husbands was I think $17.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went last night for dinner and had the chefs special Southwest Paella-Yum! This was amazing. Really liked everything about this local restaurantt. Nice and open yet has a romantic feel with the live music and decor. Service was outstanding too. Thanks Nick!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just another restaurant in a strip mall? Not Fired Up Grill - this is definately worth the stop! Met a friend after work and enjoyed a nice wine selection, great appetizers (try the chicken flutas) and a very nice meal. Since it wasn't yet sweltering in AZ, we were able to enjoy sitting outside too. We both had pasta that was some of the best I have ever tasted (Mac & cheese with chicken & ravioli). Ordered just a 1/2 order and it was plenty - so rich and creamy, unfortunately there was no room for desert. Service was great - a really nice place.

1  Thank babsyaz