“Can't tell a book by its cover”

Wild Horse Pass Hotel & Casino
Ranked #12 of 34 Hotels in Chandler
Reviewed November 25, 2009

This beautiful new hotel has much to admire in its architecture and decor, but "the devil is in the details". The service is what you would expect in an understaffed, inexperienced staff. Only one desk manned for check-in and the lobby so bright with sun that one had trouble seeing .

The drinking glasses are not sealed in sanitized covers, nor the coffee cups either. In calling the front desk to complain about the lack of a signal on many of the TV channels, I was left in voice mail hell and an endlessly repeating message that didn't really apply anyway, as I just wanted an operator. The bed was so soft and the pillows so big and hard that I had maybe the worst night of rest ever. I should add that the walls between rooms are simply too thin for any hotel, let alone a brand new, upscale one.

Valet and Bell staff were quite good.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank AZGulliver

Reviewed November 24, 2009

The hotel is beautiful! Much much better then I had anticipated and you can tell some thought went into the decor and art work. I live close by but it felt like I had left the area and had really gone away on vacation. The lobby was lovely, the rooms very hip and my husband loved the media hub, widescreen tv and free wi-fi. There are many things to do even beyond playing in the casino and everyone was in such a great mood that it was like one big party. There is a nightclub, several nice bars/lounges, a theater and we had the best steaks at Shula's. The breakfast room service was prompt, courteous and the food fresh and hot. The ladies at the players club were AWESOME. Oh and most importantly I won enough in the casino to cover the whole weekend and walk away with some money. I would say success and definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kurukupaa
Reviewed November 23, 2009

We had a great experience at this hotel. We had a speedy check in and the rooms were lovely. They were very clean and spacious. we had a beautiful room that over looked the pool and the setting sun over the desert was picture perfect. After playing in the casino we dined at the cafe in the hotel. The food was flavorful and the service was prompt and friendly. We enjoyed the Jay Leno show in the new theater. The seats were comfortable. No matter were you sit, you had good viewing. The staff were all very frieldly and very helpful. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 18, 2009

My sister, her daughter and myself stayed for two nights at this hotel. It had just opened so we didn't have high expectations and are pretty laid back people. At around 01:30 a.m. Yes, that's in the morning, we heard something that sounded like jack hammering, below us. It was in fact construction, at ONE THIRTY IN THE MORNING, at a hotel where you pay for a night’s sleep. I went to the lobby to find out what was going on. The guy I talked with was unconcerned and oblivious. I asked him what was going on and he calmly said, "they're doing work." I said, "at 01:30 in the morning? That's crazy!!!!" I asked him to do something and he told me to go upstairs and talk to the foreman. That was his response to his hotel guest. Needless to say, that was shocking, so I reminded him that I was the guest and immediately asked to speak with the manager. Well, of course there was no manager on duty. At check out the girl was friendly enough and offered us 50% off of our stay. We were happy with that, but realistically, they should have comp’d the entire stay for such absurdity. And, it’s certainly not about the money. It’s about the absolute stupidity and disregard for sanity. If this isn't the worst-case scenario in hospitality, god only knows what is.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Randy222
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The first thing you notice is the dust everywhere, in the room, lobby, floors and common areas. The top floor suite was to have a spectacular view however the windows were extremely dirty and distracting. The room, furniture and floors also appear to have construction dust everywhere.

The rooms are much smaller than the advertising indicates. The Spa is a half mile away and you are only provided directions to get there. Transportation to the spa appeared to be an inconvenience to them.

The front desk manager wanted to argue over an in room movie that did not work and would not immediately provide a refund or credit. The staff was not trained and did not follow through on any promises.

We checked out and left the hotel at 1:00 AM due to the hallway noise and dirty conditions. Upon leaving we found the service staff sleeping in the areas for guests. The front desk apologized and said we would be contacted by the management for a refund. Again, another misrepresentation! Give up on this one. An awful place!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank travelone51
Reviewed November 12, 2009

This beautiful hotel is not ready for business. The facility is beautiful, the rooms are beautiful, but not one area of the hotel is up to speed. I'm not sure if it is management, the economy making them short handed or what - every aspect was disappointing. The check in process went well after waiting in line, the room was great. But we cut our trip short because the room was not cleaned. We left the room at 10:30am placing the sign on the door requesting service. At 6pm, after 4 calls for service, we just gave up and checked out. You wait at the Players Club, in the restaurants, in the casino for drinks, it was amazing. I hope they get this together soon. Their other hotel is run by Starwood Resorts and the experience is much different. They could use a consulting help.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank jaybeeaz
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I booked my stay months in advance because I wanted to experience the Grand Opening, October 30!! Awesome room!

Upon arrival, the valet parked my car and the bellman, Jeff, assisted me with my bags. I forgot my wallet in the car and Jeff waited patiently while I retrieved it. The front desk attendant, Chris, was friendly and informative.

Imagine my surprise to receive a three-piece set of luggage and a delicious box of chocolate for being one of the first guests to stay the first night. The room was nicely decorated and the duvet was elegant. I had a view of the highway but the skyline was beautiful. The bathroom was decorated in rich brown tones. However, the door was heavy and awkward. The free wireless network was a plus1

After I unpacked, I went downstairs for dinner. The casino was smoky and crowded. I don’t gamble so finding a good meal was my goal. So imagine my excitement when I was told that a Don Shula’s restaurant was on property. Unfortunately, the wait was 2 hours and I did not get to experience/eat a good steak… what a disappointment! At the food court, the lines were long and the cashier was not trained properly. Hopefully, the problems will be solved within a month.

I slept wonderfully in the amazingly comfortable bed. I wanted to stay another night but had a family emergency. I hope to find a good rate so that I can return again and experience Shula’s.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo