“A restaurant of apathy”

Harold's Cave Creek Corral
Ranked #11 of 79 Restaurants in Cave Creek
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: In the 1930s, a man with the unlikely name of Johnny Walker built a bar called the Cave Creek Corral. Walker’s creation was an instant sensation with cowboys, playboys, politicians and laborers who gathered to drink A-1 beers at wooden tables under wanted posters.Harold Gavagan and his wife Ruth bought the Cave Creek Corral in the mid 1950s. Harold was quite a character, a depression-era Irish kid, a tough, but entertaining guy. Harold’s was a favorite movie location for Hollywood, attracting the likes of Dan Aykroyd, Bob Hope, Lynda Carter, Waylon Jennings and Dick Van Dyke. Cave Creek was not a short easy ride from Phoenix, in an effort to get visitors to Cave Creek, Harold acquired a trained lion and tiger act to entertain patrons.Once visitors were at Harold’s, he was concerned that they didn’t drink and stay long enough. So the building to the east of the restaurant became a bunkhouse, renting space for over night visitors.celebrities. Enjoy the fun atmosphere, interesting people and great food every day. We feature live country and western music Thursday-Sunday nights.Take a few minutes to browse the photographs on the walls of the characters and friends that frequent Harold’s. Our Cowboy, Sunset and Patio Rooms are perfect for your next event. Weddings  Divorces  Anniversaries  Affairs Receptions  Meetings  BirthdaysHost your next party with us or we will be happy to deliver the party to you.
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I'm giving this restaurant a very low rating due to the horrid service. Quite sad really since the atmosphere of the place was stellar. My family and I visited Harold's on a Sunday evening. The restaurant was somewhat busy. We were all very excited to try the food. However...

-Our waitress, a woman who appeared to be in her early 50s, welcomed us and told us to please wait soon after we were seated. We waited. Ten minutes later we ordered our drinks. At first I thought this wasn't a huge deal, things happen. Sadly for us, our waitress made waiting a recurring theme throughout the meal. It was nearly impossible for anyone in my party to grab her attention for more than a split second. Even if someone did receive attention and was helped, the waitress made it clear she wasn't going to stick around to find out if anyone else needed something. Very aggravating.

-When ordering a salad I was asked which dressing I wanted. Not what salad, but what dressing on wanted on my free salad. I wanted Caesar dressing. Later I discovered I was charged for a Caesar salad. I didn't ask for a Cesar salad, I asked for Caesar dressing. Why wouldn't I be informed of the extra charge? This happened to another person in my party as well.

-Three people in our party, including myself, were drinking iced tea. The waitress gave us a small pitcher of tea once she realized we would be downing tea throughout our meal. Good idea, unless you take into account that there are about four glasses worth of tea in the pitcher. It, and our glasses, remained devoid of tea for most of the meal.

-Everything above is pretty bad, but not really 1 out of 5 bad. What made the night a complete tragedy was the apathy shown towards me and my party when I choked. I was eating bbq brisket, which was tasty, and I must have eaten too quickly for I choked after only two bites. This is my own folly of course. Luckily my father was able to rush around the table and give me the Heimlich maneuver, saving me. This obviously made quite a scene and I felt horribly embarrassed.

What was embarrassing at first turned into utter confusion and contempt. Not a single employee wanted to know what happened or if I was ok. Nothing. Was it the restaurant's fault I choked? No. Did I need an employee to save me? No. Would it have been nice if someone working at this restaurant, particularly our waitress, actually took notice and showed a little concern? YES.

Thanks to the very nice older woman, a patron not an employee, who walked over to me and asked how I was doing. You made my night.

-We split the check. Waitress took one of five payments instead of waiting for everyone else. Came back, picked up one more, left. Rinse and repeat three times. What a waste of time.

-Walked out the door past three giggling hostesses without a single goodbye, come again, we hope you had a great time, sorry for choking, etc.

To the owner's of Harold's: I feel terrible having to write such a review, but I have never felt so small in my life. I certainly hope you don't treat all of your customers the way you treated myself and my family. Rest assured, I will never visit your establishment again and will deter those who show interest.

1  Thank Kurtbob

Reviewed March 1, 2013

The restaurant is is decorated in true country style, and line dancing lessons took place before the live misic began but the service is brutally terrible. As we were a party of 14, our drink orders were never taken as we sat down, we had to go to the bar to get our own drinks. approximately 45 mins to an hour later, our server took our orders, there was never any cutlery left for guests. There were also orders mixed up between guests. Half of the suppers were brought out, reasonably quick, the 5 all you
Can eat fish evening specials took 20-25 mins longer to come out. One steak order was not even brought out until all other guests were finished. Our drink orders were never asked to be replenished. I would sincerely not recommend this restaurant for a dining experience, especially for a special occasion. After watching an episode of Bar Rescue, you able to see how much more money the bar is missing out on making.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

we were going to eat across the street but noticed all the cars at harold's, so we headed there instead. it's a big place. make sure you get the happy hour menu for really good specials and prices-even regular menu appetizers are half off for happy hour. drinks were also great prices. the atmosphere is lodgy/cowboy/football-steelers/dance hall style. our apps were all yummy and service was fine.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Rustic cowboy atmosphere (boots nailed to rafters). Really good breakfast (large servings and good) (Chicken enchiladas and eggs really good). Good sandwiches and salads at lunch.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

When the dancing stopped and the crowd thinned over at Buffalo Chip, we followed the sounds across the parking lot to Harold's. Karaoke was in full swing and the entertainment did not disappoint. On another night we took advantage of the all you can eat spaghetti feed. It was delicious!