“Great Food in a fun little town.”
Review of Tonto Bar & Grill

Tonto Bar & Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Tonto Bar & Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 78 Restaurants in Cave Creek
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Native American, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy a Southwestern/eclectic menu featuring salads, sandwiches, pasta, fresh seafood, mesquite-grilled steaks and chops, and house-made breads and desserts. One menu is served all day.Tonto Bar & Grill in Cave Creek, Arizona, gives diners a view of modern desert life with a peek into the past. The restaurant sits on what was once American Indian land and later used as a stopover camp for the U.S. Cavalry, and the building itself was part of the prestigious Rancho Mañana dude ranch. It’s chock-full of the charm of earlier eras, displaying ranching implements, vintage 1940s photos and original architecture. Today, friendly service, fine cuisine and a casual, comfortable atmosphere combine for a rustic yet upscale dining experience. Chefs use the freshest, highest quality ingredients such as all-natural meats and Arizona products – including offerings from Native Seeds/SEARCH. Fine tequilas and an award-winning wine list cap off the enticements.Reservations are recommended for dinner and holidays.Banquet facilities, weddings and off-site catering available.
Kansas City, MO
“Great Food in a fun little town.”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went to Cave Creek on the advice of some friends and found this great place north of Phoenix. The atmosphere is warm and inviting--the lodge was formerly a guest ranch. We ate on the patio--great happy hour offers of food and drink. It was refreshing to find a natural antibiotic free hamburger on the menu. Loved this place and recommend you don't miss it for casual dining.

Cave Creek, Arizona
“Lunch with a view”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We went with friends for lunch on the patio. We got lucky and got a railing table on the lower patio overlooking the 6th hole. Three of the four of us are golfers, so we got to rate all the shots we saw to the par 3 while we chatted.

While the view isn't as nice as other golf overlooks, it still gave us a great look at one hole. If weather permits, I'd highly recommend going outside.

But on to the food. Two of us had salads and two had sandwiches. Both the salad eaters had mesquite shrimp as a topping, one on their harvest salad and the other on their Cobb. One sandwich was their BLT Revival and the other was their Bistro Steak Sandwich. Three of us loved our food and the fourth thought the steak sandwich was okay at best.

But, he ordered a flank steak well done and I know that that's not how you should cook a flank steak. The portions were good for lunch. The prices weren't.

Our bill came to over $70 and 3 of us had water. That's high in my opinion for salads and sandwiches. So, the food is generally good but bring lots of cash.

ARIZONA
“great burger, salty salmon”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

we had an office staff lunch; sat on the outdoor patio. Yjis time of year in AZ it is absolutely gorgeous. We watched over the Rancho Manana Golf Course where Tonto B& G is situated. The view was lovely. Our burgers were huge, the meat was of great quality and the fries were habit forming!!! The caesar salad was good but the optional piece of salmon left alot to be desired. It tasted like it was stored in brine water. We sent it back and the replacement was ,at best, mediocre. The portions are fabulous. The ambiance is western decor and it is an old ranch home with lovely artwork. We will go back but never order the salmon again.

• Visited March 2013
“If I could give it SIX "dots" I would.”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

LUV LUV LUV this restaurant. On a recent trip to visit my sister in Arizona, she took me to Cave Creek for the day. The highlight of the day was lunch at Tonto. You wouldn't know from the entrance that this restaurant is as large as it is or that it is right on the golf course. Walking through the restaurant we were immediately impressed with the decor and the feel of the place. I'll call it Rustic Chic. We chose to sit outside since it was a beautiful day. There are many shaded tables and we were seated right on the edge of the golf course, close to the fountain. It was very busy and I sort of expected possible delays in service. I was so wrong. Our server, Martin, was so personable and so charming, engaging us in conversation, and being very attentive to our needs.(Management: please give Martin a raise). The view from our table was amazing and was accompanied by a trickling fountain. And then there's the food. OMG. Probably one of the best lunches I have ever had. The menu is interesting, inventive, and there's plenty to choose from. My sister loved the fish tacos. My open-faced steak sandwich was incredible. On a 1-10 scale it's a 12. It was a large portion of succulent steak (I'm guessing tenderloin), cooked to perfection, on a gourmet slice of bread with blue cheese and topped off with a garlic aioli. And the potatoes were presented in a miniature cast iron pan, roasted and tender and covered in some sort of sauce that appeared to resemble barbeque sauce but was much more subtle in flavor and delicious. My regret is that we didn't have room for dessert. The next time I visit I will insist on another meal at Tonto. (I have only one negative comment. There is not enough parking and since my sister's broken foot was in a boot I had to drop her at the door and drive through the entire lot a couple times before nabbing a space that someone was backing out of).

Illinois
“Intimate w/ gorgeous view”
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Our annual trip to Phoenix ALWAYS includes an evening at Tonto Bar and Grill. The menu is not particularly extensive, but everything we've ever had was very good. I highly recommend heading up at sunset to catch the beautiful view. There are outdoor heaters to keep you comfortable even on a sweater-evening. Tonto Grill is also home to Rancho Mañana golf course - again one our favorite courses in Phoenix - fairways can be a little tight but the scenery is wonderful!

• Visited October 2012