“Wow!”

Cartwright's Modern Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Cartwright's Modern Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 79 Restaurants in Cave Creek
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cartwright’s Modern Cuisine honors the spirit of Arizona’s ranching days with rustic yet upscale dining. Located on Saguaro Hill and overlooking Black Mountain and the Sonoran desert foothills, the restaurant’s ambience inside is as captivating as the setting outside. At Cartwright’s Modern Cuisine, a hacienda style dining room, enclosed patio and private wine room boast artistic touches such as straw-packed walls, sandstone and slate accents, woodwork from local mesquite, and a wood-burning fireplace in each room. The interior recalls the original ranch house built by Jackson (Manford) Cartwright in the early 1900s. His father, “Red” Cartwright, was a pioneering cattle rancher in Cave Creek in the late 1800s. The family ranch operated for three generations and more than a century, and is still in use today. Chefs continue this tradition with all-natural meats, including Arizona beef, Colorado range-fed lamb, and North American elk and buffalo slow-cooked over a crackling mesquite wood fire. Also enjoy fresh seafood, house-made bread and desserts, a Wine Spectator Award-winning wine list and fine whiskies, bourbons and Scotches. Cartwright’s is available for private events and off-site catering. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was unaware this is a sister restaurant to Tonto's in Cave Creek. Neither are to be missed. We particularly liked the varied menu. Sorry I wasn't in the mood for game that night as they have an extremely interesting option. Perhaps next time. Service was very good with very knowledgeable waitstaff. Whether you are after fish, beef, game or just a veggie, the offerings are plentiful and, while this a large restaurant, you an get a quiet table to enable conversation. I would not miss this one and have added it to my personal list of favorites in the area.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Terrific menu...wonderful presentation...upscale ...very good service. Really like this restaurant....a surprise in Cave Creek.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

We chose Cartwright's for our anniversary dinner while staying in Cave Creek. It was an excellent choice. I had the entree salad with steak. It was huge and there must have been a six ounce steak cut up and set on top! Delicious! My husband had a pasta entree and he loved it. Our waitress was attentive, helpful and friendly. My only complaint is that the tables are a little close together, so that conversations are overheard rather easily.

1  Thank Karen G
Reviewed July 10, 2013

My guy and I were in Scottsdale for a long weekend and were told to visit Cartwrights. Considering we were in Scottsdale, and there are so very many eatery choices it did seem a little far to go for dinner (about a half hour drive from where we stayed), but we are so glad we made the choice. I wish that I could remember our waitress's name, but she was the best, she had a sense of humor and made our dinner enjoyable. She is a golfer so she gave my boyfriend a course suggestion and was very personable without being too much (as we all know there are waitress's that go a bit over the limit at times).
The food was so yummy, the atmosphere was perfect and the location is beautiful. We did make a reservation but it was not overcrowded.
Definitely a two thumbs up on this one!

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The waitress started with laying her hand on the man’s shoulder, reciting the entire menu—I stopped listening, disturbed by this inappropriate intimate gesture. The second time around, she came near him to look out the window; her behind touching the flank of his shirt—I held my tongue. The third time round, the waitress laid her right hand and arm on his back—I felt uncomfortable. The fourth time, on and on she went, downright massaging his back with her left arm this time! I spoke up: “Why are you doing that,” I asked, “touching him that way?” She apologized. I had observed her with other male and female patrons—she touched no one else during the time we were there, only the man I was with. Bizarre. The glaze of the so-called glazed carrots was nowhere to be found or tasted. The waitress' demeanor was so bizarre, I could not eat my dinner; we took it in a doggie box that became soggy the next day. Parking was tight.

2  Thank MarieSolange