“Truly to Die For Food”

Cartwright's Modern Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Cartwright's Modern Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 81 Restaurants in Cave Creek
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Cartwright’s Modern Cuisine honors the spirit of Arizona’s ranching days with rustic yet upscale dining. Located on Saguaro Hill and overlooking Black Mountain and the Sonoran desert foothills, the restaurant’s ambience inside is as captivating as the setting outside. At Cartwright’s Modern Cuisine, a hacienda style dining room, enclosed patio and private wine room boast artistic touches such as straw-packed walls, sandstone and slate accents, woodwork from local mesquite, and a wood-burning fireplace in each room. The interior recalls the original ranch house built by Jackson (Manford) Cartwright in the early 1900s. His father, “Red” Cartwright, was a pioneering cattle rancher in Cave Creek in the late 1800s. The family ranch operated for three generations and more than a century, and is still in use today. Chefs continue this tradition with all-natural meats, including Arizona beef, Colorado range-fed lamb, and North American elk and buffalo slow-cooked over a crackling mesquite wood fire. Also enjoy fresh seafood, house-made bread and desserts, a Wine Spectator Award-winning wine list and fine whiskies, bourbons and Scotches. Cartwright’s is available for private events and off-site catering. Reservations are recommended.
Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband took me here on one of our first dates and it has been a favorite of ours ever since. We had a small, private wedding, but this is where we took our guests afterward. Since then we have celebrated engagements, marriages, births, etc here. You can never go wrong with the food or service. First, pick a protein...then a starch, sauce and veggie. I can't pass up the melt in your mouth filet, while my husband goes for the trio of elk, buffalo and beef medallions. The breads served prior are baked on premise (try the green chili corn muffin) and the salads are from local produce. End it with a sumptuous dessert (creme brûlée for me). Wrap this all together in the beauty and history of Cave Creek and you have a top notch winner! Making reservations? Ask for Julie as your server. Wonderful gal with warm accent!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

The food is consistently delicious here, oysters at the bar are wonderful, service has always been very good!The last time we were here we brought family members who have a small child. We asked for a table in a side room and were pleased at the ambiance.
They offer various styles of preparation for their dishes. This provides something for everyone!
We will always consider Cartwright's when dining out!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Went to Cartwright's for Thanksgiving dinner. Very classic old southern. Great bar , marvelous atmosphere, very popular place for thanksgiving dinner.we had three choices for dinner one classic thanksgiving, one Salmon, and one prime rib. My wife had salmon it was great my daughter and I had tradition it was good but not great. I would have liked more gravy. A lot of food piled high. Appetizers and desserts you had a trio and everyone had the same I liked all the desserts and two thirds the appetizers .

It was a great evening and a place I would for sure go back too.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The food is always plentiful, beautiful and delicious. Add an evening with the famed historian Bob Boze Bell, and you have a first-rate evening out.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Cartwright's is the sister restaurant to my favorite place to eat in Cave Creek....The Tonto Grille. We arrived at 8:30 & the place was packed solid, lively & noisy. The menu is solid and hasn't changed much in the 7 years I have been going here. The atmosphere is rustic and pleasant and the service excellent. So we had a nice meal. I had the scallops Mediterranean style & my date had the Fillet. Both were very good. All in all, Cartwright's is consistent but it doesn't blow me away like The Tonto Grille, especially when you're on the lower patio and the weather is nice.