“Horrible”

Cave Creek Trail Rides
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: We offer a variety of horseback rides through the beautiful Sonoran Desert. All of our horses are gentle and experienced and take great care of our guests. We specialize in family friendly, safe horseback rides that are perfect for beginners and experienced riders alike. Our trails provide an excellent view of the Go John Mountains and the Phoenix valley below. We offer THE best horseback rides in the Phoenix area. Here at Cave Creek Trail Rides, we are known for our warm hospitality and our well cared for horses. Our guides are always friendly and courteous and love to share their knowledge about horses, the Sonoran Desert, and Cave Creek's history. Our horses are gentle, well mannered and always well cared for. Cave Creek Trail Rides offers a true western experience! We even include cowboy boots, hats and chaps to wear on your ride or just for great picture opportunities. We are dedicated to making your trail ride with us the highlight of your trip.
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm very familiar with riding, and have a house in the Cave Creek area, so going horseback riding is not new to me or my cousin, who I was riding with, because she was in town, and wanted to do something different. On that day the ranches I'd usually ride at (MTM or Spur Cross) had a 5k going on, so they were closed. On short notice, I decided to give Cave Creek trail rides a try. BIG MISTAKE. The whole dress-up thing was cute but cheesy, which was not a big deal, while slightly annoying. As I'm waiting, the woman sitting there began talking about how a person in the party before her had started her ride (the first part is a big hill) and the horse had lost its footing and gone all the way back down. (That scared me, even though I am an experienced rider.)Then, finally, about 7 horses come down the hill, which should've been enough for my party and another group standing next to us, but we had to continue to wait. I watched the 7 horses-- tack still on-- walk themselves into the little corral. Then another party of about 7 or 8 came, then another, until there were more than 20 horses, all with bits and bridals, saddles and stirrups,crammed in. Not only that, but little kids and adults who did not know any better actually went in the corral and took pictures. I was just waiting for a horse's tack to get caught on something so that all hell would break loose. The entire time, more and more people were coming, and it was obvious they were overbooked. Although there was no other place to ride that day because of a race where most of the other ranches are, it is the responsibility of the establishment not to overbook. The horses were getting worked too hard, especially because of the hill at the start of the ride and all the people with appointments. It was a horrible experience. I got my money back and learned an important lesson- sometimes it's better to stay home and go to the pool. This place is okay for tourists who don't know any better, but I'm not going back ever again.

3  Thank Swimmergurl1000
FisherCreekStanley, Owner at Cave Creek Trail Rides, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at our corral. We strive to offer a quality experience and we see that we did not meet your expectations on this particular day. Spring break is always a very busy time for us and you obvisouly came on one of our busiest days. We have lots of people who want to expereince horseback riding during their visit.

Safety is our number one priority and after 14 years at Cave Creek we are proud to say that we have never had a serious accident. When a rider gets off our horses at the end of the ride, the horses go into the day corral and head to the water trough if they want water and then find a place to stand until they are needed again. Our horses are used daily and are just like professional ball players, in very good condition. Our horse are fat and happy! They can easily be used 3-4 times a day. Having 35 head of horses allows us to rotate stock as needed. It may appeared that we overbooked, however, with a little patience from our guests, everyone got on their scheduled ride.

Again, we are sorry that your experience was not what you wanted. I invite you back for complimentary ride at anytime to see the beautiful Cave Creek Recreation Area and to experience our facility at a less busy time.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Just returned from an Arizona vacation and Cave Creek Trail Rides was one of my trip highlights. My wife and I took the 1.5 hour sunset trail ride on Mother's Day with an small group of 4. Our guide was Amanda and she was amazing. Every person that we met during our visit to CCTR made our experience outstanding. I highly recommend Cave Creek Trail Rides to be your choice for a sensational horse back riding experience. There are many vendors to choose from, so make sure you chookse Cave Creek Trail Rides on N 32nd Street.

1  Thank Wayne M

We are so glad you had a great experience while at Cave Creek Trailrides. We love what we do and have fun sharing that experience with our guests. We have awesome guides who take good care of our guests, our horses and us! We are lucky to have them. Thanks for taking the time to write. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Thank you to Amanda and the rest of the crew at Cave Creek Trail Rides for a wonderful 1 1/2 hour sunset trail ride. Amanda was so friendly and talkative to my kids while doing an excellent job handling a couple of pesky rattlesnakes along the way. This is our second trail ride since November 2012 with Cave Creek and we've thoroughly enjoyed our experiences both times.

2  Thank SBC3909

Amanda does a great job. We are lucky to have her. If you live in the desert we do occasionally run into snakes. In 14 years we have never had a serious problem with them, but they do have the right of way! Thanks for taking the time to write and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

Our group ranged from 8 to 50. We all had a great time. The friendly staff ensured the kids were doing well throughout the ride. The horses were well cared for and very gentle. The chance to wear chaps and hats made it extra special.

1  Thank Plookey

Thanks for writing on Trip Advisor. We are glad your group had a great time and hope you will come back again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

My wife & I took our 5 year old grand daughter for a pony ride on April 30, 2013. Our grand daughter has never been on a horse & obviously very excited when she saw the horses. Amanda was instructor & the horse was named Friendly. We couldn't have asked for a better matchup & Amanda made our grand daughter extremely comfortable & excited to ride the horse. Because our grand daughter was only 5 she couldn't go on the trail ride but was able to ride the horse several times in the corral area. Amanda taught her the basics of controlling the horse & our grand daughter responded as if she loved the experience. We can't say enough about how Amanda made all of us happy with the experience & we look forward to visiting again after their summer break which begins in mid August.

2  Thank Scott L
FisherCreekStanley, Owner at Cave Creek Trail Rides, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Amanda is so awesome! We get lots of great compliments on her. I'm glad your granddaughter first horse experience was so positive and fun for all. Thanks for bringing her and enjoying our guides and horses.