“Good food, SLOW service”

Mi Tierra Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 5 Restaurants in Catalina
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
york, pa
“Good food, SLOW service”
Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

The food here is good and very reasonably priced. But we were here for 15 minutes before a server even came to our table. And then, our food arrived before our drinks, again by a good 15 minutes. They really need to hire an additional server or two. I can't see returning here.

Montreal
“Line ups!”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We were told by locals to try this Mexican restaurant.
Web reviews on other sites where positive, so we drove there.
It was early evening yet dark outside so it seemed like the restaurant was in a shady area but who knows, there were other Mexican restaurants around with no lineups.
Lots of people were waiting in the parking lot (free), outside on the street and inside the restaurant.
They seemed to be mainly locals.
We were told it was a 30mins hour wait for 2 ppl, which probably meant closer to 1 hour wait, so we just left, so unfortunately we did get to eat there and weren't given the option to do take out so we can comment on the food or service, so the average rating we selected here does not mean much.

Not sure if you can make reservation, but that might be an option!

Visited September 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“We felt invisible”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Mi Tierra used to be our favorite Mexican restaurant in Tucson, but not anymore! We've been going there for over 10 years, and had bragged about it to some friends who had never been there, so they suggested we go last night. I was so embarrassed by the way we were treated! The service has never been all that friendly, but last night it was downright incompetent and offensive. Our party of 5 got there around 6:15, and were told we had to wait 20 minutes for a table, but they must have known I was not happy with that scenario, because after about 10 minutes they seated us at two tables they had put together near the bathroom (one had a tablecloth and one didn't). At that point I was feeling good, because I thought they were really making an effort to accomodate us. After about 10 minutes, someone dropped off some chips, but after another 20 minutes, when no one else came by to give us water or take our orders, I got up and went to the hostess to ask for some service. After another 10 minutes, the server came by, took our drink orders and tried to leave, but I said we were ready to order our food as well - didn't want to let her out of our sight until we had ordered! It was like we were invisible. We had ordered a large pitcher of margaritas, and wish the server had advised us to get a smaller one, because it was WAY too much, but we ended up getting our food before our margaritas anyway! So in the end, the whole process took well over 2 hours from the time we arrived until the time we left, and we were the last ones in the place - people who had come in after us left long before we did. The sign in front says they close at 9:00 pm; we left at 8:30, only because this large woman dressed differently from the other employees (the manager?), who had been swanning around the restaurant all evening filling up water and visiting with people (but who never even gave our table a glance), was standing at the front desk, eyes glued to our table, and actually DRUMMING HER FINGERS ON THE DESK. It was the only time all night she had deigned to acknowledge us, and now it's only because she wants us to leave. She should have been at our table appologizing for the horrible service. They are definiitely getting a letter. The food was adequate (although not as good as we've had in the past), but the salsa was almost sweet, not spicy, and the margaritas were incredibly sour. We will not recommend this restaurant any more.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank Candy M
Minneapolis
“Don't let your eyes be your guide to portion control”
Reviewed April 24, 2012

The food is great and portions are gigantic. Don't miss the margarita's either. The Mexican decor is well done and extremely colorful. The next time I go there I'll skip the appetizers and just have the huge entree. You win either way but be hungry when you get there.

Visited April 2012
phoenix
“About as authentic as Taco Bell”
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Perhaps if I still lived outside Detroit and didn't know better, I would give Mi Tierra a higher score. But living in Phoenix for 20+ years has given me a passing acquaintance with authentic (at least, kinda-sorta authentic) Mexican food. Sonoran Mexican food, anyway. Even by lax Phoenician standards, Mi Tierra falls short. After sitting at our table for at least 10 minutes, someone finally came over to take our drink order. The Margaritas and wines we looked at were ridiculously overpriced. (An additional $7 to upgrade their house Margarita with a better tequila?) My husband and I both ordered sangria. It was an impressively large glass of wine, with an equally impressive array of fruit hanging over the lip of the glass. But it completely lacked the delicious, sweet, are-you-sure-this-has-alcohol-in-it, Kool-Aid slammability of really good sangria. The chips were thick and nondescript; the salsa tasted like someone had tried to "Mexicanize" run-of-the-mill marinara. Only one of the combination dinners offered a shredded beef taco. Since I wasn't interested in the "flat enchilada," (enchilada filling, but with masa instead of a tortilla) that came with it, I ordered a different combination that included a ground beef taco. Although the waitress offered to substitute a shredded beef taco, I'm still not sure whether what I received was ground or shredded beef; its texture was some weird hybrid of the two. And the taste was strictly school-cafeteria Mexican......The rice and beans left no impression whatsoever. My husband, who is not at all picky about food, gave his shrimp fajitas a "meh" rating. To be fair, the hostess (manager?) offered us a free dessert as compensation for the long wait time between being seated and having the waitress acknowledge our presence. I have a food allergy, and flan was the only thing that was safe for me. I'm no flan afficionado, so I cannot judge the authenticity of Mi Tierra's. But I admit that it was best flan I've had: sweet and light and left me wanting more. If the rest of the meal had been comparable, I'd be giving Mi Tierra a glowing review.

• Visited March 2012