“Pros and Cons”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Pros and Cons”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We were visiting family for the holidays and needed a place to stay, so we didn't really use the full resort during our stay. When I checked in and went to the room, the upper floor of the building we were staying in was under renovation. For a full day, rolls of carpet and padding were lying on the sidewalk to the parking lot. I got the the room and could not open the door. I walked back to the front desk and they sent someone from engineering, who was able to open the door by throwing his body against it, telling me that the locks sometimes just did that, and it was normal - for "security" purposes. I appreciated his "glass half full" approach, but we decided in the end that maybe we should try to move to the room next door. I called the front desk and they were very accommodating and sent someone over with keys. We had her try the extra-secure door and she was shocked at how difficult it was to open. Later we saw that it was being fixed.
Our room was large and appeared to have been recently painted, maybe new tile in the bathroom, so probably already renovated. The main problem we had with the room was that the only way to get any natural light into the room was to open the blackout vertical blinds, totally exposing ourselves to anyone who might be passing by, as we were on the ground floor. Some sheers would have been nice, because with the blind closed the room was very dark.
We returned to the room one night and adjusted the thermostat to get the heat going and it didn't respond for at least 10 minutes. Just as engineering was again arriving at our room, it kicked on and we were told that it "usually takes about 15 minutes". It was very loud.
Little things...hard mattress, burned out light bulb, an outlet that we discovered wasn't working after leaving the cell phone plugged in to charge all night.
We had a good price on the room through bookit.com, but would recommend reading the fine print as we were charged a $10/day "resort fee" at checkout. I'd stay here again in a similar circumstance at a great price, but wouldn't pay any more.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ZenDogAZ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I would love to be giving an "excellent" review right now but that's not going to happen. This will be our last time staying at the Carefree Resort & Conference Center. 5 nights stay - hot tub hasn't worked the entire time, no pool side service, fan in bathroom doesn't work, shower head broken and gross ice machines. We've stayed here 5 times before over the last several years and it's disappointing that each time we return deferred maintenance is noticed. 3 out of the 5 times the hot tub hasn't been working. Time for us to move on and locate a hotel that understands "guests" are important and return happy guests are even better.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank C2561
Arizona
Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed here in November in the suites for a chest tournament my son was participating in. The tournament was onsite so there were 100's of kids and parents hanging outside the conference area. We had a group of 8 yo boys who were tossing a ball around. They were not being crazy or throwing it at people. One of the employees - a large, tall man in a suit - came by and grabbed one of the boys and brought him over to where we were sitting and said "Whose is this?" One of the moms responded and he went over to her and yelling said "These kids are throwing the ball at people (they weren't). If I see it again, I'm going to kick you guys off this property. Do you understand me?" We were so stunned as no one had mentioned any issues and he was so aggressive and rude. The mom responded yes, of course. Then he repeated it again - "I WILL kick you out of here if it happens again".

I have never ever seen a hotel employee treat a guest like that, it was unbelievable. I would never ever stay at this resort again and don't plan on attending a tournament at that site ever again. They were extremely rude to the kids and unwelcoming. Why did they host it at all?

We complained to the manager in the hotel, who knows if anything happened.

As far as the suites, only heat in one room which made it way too hot. Rooms were fine. Dining not good, buffet of hot dogs/fries/pizza for lunch - anything else would be an hour?!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ammt
California
Reviewed November 25, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed for two nights at this beautiful facility. I require a wheelchair accessible room and had requested one when I made my reservations. Unfortunately, the room originally assigned to me was occupied when I arrived. The front desk staff came up with an alternative that was not ideal but we lived with it. The next morning I asked if we could get a room that fit my needs better. A young lady named Audry went out of her way to find us a better room. She showed me alternatives and we were able to meet my needs for the second night. In the end I realized a large part of the problem on the first night was the lack of a clear definition of the term "accessible". This is an industry wide issue and I don't fault the facility. But, I do commend the staff for listening to me and working to understand what I needed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 12, 2012

We stayed in a standard double room that was a bit careworn -- could use a redo. It did have a small balcony, which was nice, but it overlooked the hotel's work area, including where they charge the golf carts. Very noisy even with the doors closed. The hotel's lobby with a big fireplace is nice, as is the pool area -- though the weather was too cold when we were there to take a dip. The service was okay, but not exceptional.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies around the pool should be nicer and perhaps quieter than ours. Check those...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Francescacat
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed November 10, 2012

The woman at the front desk is a robot and not terribly helpful - she just repeats what she's been told to say. There was a billing issue and she could not, would not help at all. Dinner at the restaurant was so-so. The lighting in the room was ridiculously feeble. Turn on every light in the place and you almost have enough light to read. No movie channels and the TV guide was inacurrate too. The paint looks like it was done by someone's children and the room was dirty. Dust and dirt EVERYWHERE. And last, but not least - the air conditioner sound like a jet airplane building thrust for takeoff. Even when it is off there is a distant rumble that sounds something like a diesel train. There are MUCH better choices of places to stay - especially at these prices!

Room Tip: There might be good rooms, but I doubt it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Jim H
atlanta
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Property is situated in a nice setting. Landscaping is nice and well maintained. Some of the units are in need of renovation. I noticed where areas of wood needed painting and facia board was deteriorating badly. Our room over looked the pool area with a nice balcony. I used the balcony to read and just relax with a cup of coffee. Only ate at the restaurant once for lunch, food was well prepared and menu had a nice selection. Overall the property was nice and our stay was very enjoyable. Staff was friendly and provided adequate service. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Any room on the second floor over looking the pool area.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bill S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carefree
Desert Ridge
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!