“Bring your own crib!”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Carefree
Seattle, WA
“Bring your own crib!”
Reviewed November 15, 2007

We have a 18 month old who will not sleep in a big bed, she needs a crib. We were going to bring our own porta-crib with us until not one but two different reservations staff at this resort assured me a crib would be waiting for us when we arrived. What a relief, one less thing to pack.. well of course the one thing I counted on was not there in the room when we arrived. It was almost her bedtime, she was tired and cranky and nowhere to sleep. I called the front desk and they said they would bring a crib. We waited 1/2 hour and nothing, we figured we would go out for dinner rather than sit there. We went to the restaurant and ate and on our way out I asked at the front desk if the crib had been brought to our room. The response I got was "there are no cribs available". Can you imagine how frustrating this was. Not at all what I wanted to deal with after a long day of air travel with a cranky toddler. They looked at me as if it was no big deal and there was nothing they could do. They finally did get us a crib from another property but it was way too late to make up for the frustration I experienced. With the cost of the rooms the least they could do is be organized and live up to a promise that was made over the phone by not overbooking their cribs, but it seemed that one hand didn't know what the other was doing. Since I am a stay-at-home Mom we splurged on this room and will be paying for it for months to come. It was very disappointing.
I called housekeeping and requested napkins or paper towels be brought to our room for the kitchen we had. The non-English-speaking staff brought me toilet paper and Kleenex.
We were woken up at 8am by housekeeping so if you don't get up early make sure you get a Do Not Disturb sign although I don't think they read them even if you have it out.
The pool at the villas was nice and the villa itself was very quiet and spacious. The landscaping and the villa buildings were well done. But the extreme negative experience I had is all that really sticks out when I think of this place.

• Liked — Desert landscaping
  • Disliked — Disorganization and lack of communication of staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
GMThatCares, General Manager at Carefree Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, November 29, 2007
As the General Manager I am very discouraged to read your review. The experiences you described are not indicative of the culture of our company or the way our staff is trained. But, what really bothered me most is that we let you down and didn't afford you the opportunity to enjoy your vacation. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you personally and perhaps have you back as my guest to enjoy the experiences you should have on your most recent trip. I know it's hard to believe in a world that moves fast with little interaction, but I'd love the opportunity to earn back your trust. And, I am very sorry we let you down! We truly do care!

Kind Regards,
Frank

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Colorado
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My friend and I decided to do up a girls spa and shopping weekend and ended up staying at the Carefree resort main lodging area. The room was large and decent although I noticed that the managment is planning on upgrading at the end of the year. We had no issues with the staff, food or ammenities at Carefree. I did try to book some spa services but unfortunately the staff member called in sick so I bought some wild women soap and lotion at the spa and called it good. The swimming pool is great and so is the hot tub. They were both deserted both nights we were there. We only had breakfast on the last day and it was decent but the huevos rancheros is much better at Harold's in Cave Creek. (looks like a biker bar but has great food!)

Other things worth checking out are the El Pedrigal shopping center close by, Spotted Donkey was another great meal. We hiked Pinnacle Peak, but only went as far as the highest point, (over a mile). Shopping in Scottdale and eating everywhere, the food out here is great. We enjoyed our visit and Carefree was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
3 Thank lalalalisa
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed October 23, 2007

First: get the upgrade to a villa, whatever you do. We originally booked a regular resort room but requested the option to see a junior villa, and there was no comparison--we took the villa. (The regular rooms are apparently going to be renovated in December--not a moment too soon.)

Special mention of the excellent staff is required in this review. Every encounter with them exceeded my expectations: all were accommodating, efficient, friendly, and focused on service. Our request for a room with a night-sky view (for the weekend meteor shower) was granted beyond what I could have anticipated; our villa had two balconies (one immense and generously furnished) and was situated at the edge of the property so light pollution wasn't a problem. Special thanks should go to the desk clerk, Will, who ensured our satisfaction in this regard (and to the bellstaff who showed us our options with pleasant conversation and great patience).

Housekeeping was impeccable, with a generous allotment of high-quality towels, bath products, and coffee. Furnishings in the large room were comfortable (although a comfy chair would be a nice addition--the beds are high and a little difficult to sit on, and the desk chair was thus the only real seating). There was a huge closet and an excellent (separate) shower.

Our only complaints were minor: the coffeemaker was the standard 4-cup with a broken top, and there were no robe hooks in the bathroom.

We initially feared that the location would be too remote, but it was a surprisingly speedy drive to the 101 or to 17 (and there were many options, all scenic in places, to get from the resort to major Phoenix-area attractions). It felt much more like a "getaway" than most of the resorts closer in--some of which might be more luxurious, but none of which can offer such a pleasant and peaceful experience out among the cactus and the stars.

• Liked — Staff, housekeeping, location, peace and quiet
  • Disliked — Lack of robe hooks, substandard coffeemaker
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank edit_rrrr
Texas
Reviewed October 17, 2007

My family stayed at Carefree Resort and Villas from Oct. 4 through 9. Overall the stay was very nice and I would use them again in the future. The staff was incredibly friendly and attentive to any problems when you made them known (more about this below).

We had a room off the main pool area which was extremely convenient. The room was nice and pretty clean. The only issue was that the carpet was a bit worn and the bathroom fixtures seemed cheap. Also, the faucet was a bit difficult to shut off completely.

We had several breakfasts in the hotel as well as two lunches. The food was pretty good and the prices acceptable considering the area. As with everything, the wait staff was extermely friendly. The tables overlooking the pool were great to sit at in the morning.

Our only real problem was one day we were told that we had to leave the pool area by 6 p.m. because of a scheduled party. It was 5:45 p.m. and we were planning to leave anyway but I do not feel it is proper that we had to give up some of our access to amenities because another guest has paid for some special event. I was also told that we could use the other pool. However, the other pool was across the street in another part of the complex while this pool was just outside my room. In addition, the next day we took a walk around the resort and saw that the other pool was completely drained of water.

That same evening, the large number of guests were partying into the late evening. The only real problem was that even at 9 p.m., they had the music playing extremely loud with the bass beats sounding out loudly. I called the front desk and they were very responsive and had the party turn the music down. However, I would have expected the staff to be a bit more proactive and address the situation without my having to call. Again, the loud music was quite noticeable throughout the pool area including into the main building with the front desk, restaurant, and cafe.

The last issue was not really a problem but more an issue of being proactive (again). I noticed one evening that our porch light was off. All the porch lights turn on automatically (there was no switch). I called guest services and they fixed my light very promptly. However, again, why was my call necessary? In the evening, it could obviously be seen that my porch light was not working. As my room backed to the pool area, the broken light could easily be noticed from the main building. In addition, I noticed several other porch lights around the pool not working but I guess no one called to get them fixed.

I would recommend anyone to stay at this resort. Our stay was very pleasant with just minor issues that really did not have any significant impact on the enjoyability.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Room was a bit worn
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Evesham, England
Reviewed October 14, 2007

We stayed at the Villas at Carefree Resort for a week . We had contacted them direct and been able to secure a Delux Sonoran Villa.
As we drove from Phoenix airport after a 2 hour flight delay, British Airways Bless 'em, we thought we were going to the middle of nowhere ! It was so dark ! The reception was excellent and we had our tea delivered to the unit.
The Villa was enormous and very well appointed, but the view from the balcony was breathtaking, we would just stand and stare for most of our stay. If you want desert and cactus and rabbits and quail and birds and owls and coyotes and wild pig and road runners, then you must stay here. All were seen from our balcony. And the view continued across to the mountains.
All the staff were very helpful and the on site restaurant was very good quality and value. The swimming pool in the villas area has to be seen and most of the time we were the only two there, amazing !
We are certainly planning to return.

• Liked — The peace, Quiet and the view
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BigMikeEvesham
Del Mar , Calif.
Reviewed October 9, 2007

Our stay at the resort was absolutely superb. Upon arrival at the hotel I was impressed with the friendly staff, doors were opened, staff was polite, courteous and helpful. We were starved so the woman at the front desk had the bellman take our bags to our villa while we ate at the hotel restaurant. The restaurant was a real authentic western style saloon and the food was to die for. After our time in the saloon we were taken to our villa by the hotel shuttle. We were shocked to see how large the villa was. The pictures do not do it justice. It had everything including the kitchen sink. I was impressed with the first class feel and the warm southwestern charm. One thing notable was the fact that we requested some groceries to be stocked in the kitchen, much to my amazement when we checked into the villa it was already stocked and we didn't have to wait for this to happen. The accommodations were attractive and top notch. The next day we were having breakfast and the waiter heard us talking about golfing and suggested that we play at the golf course Legend Trails. Neither of us had clubs but were in the mood to play some golf. Again the staff went above and beyond the call of duty. The next thing I know, the hotel staff set up a tee time arranged for us to rent Taylor made clubs and gave us a ride to the course. About the golf course, green green green and so picturesque. ( bring a camera) After golf we treated ourselves to the spa. Let me tell you, this was by far the most amazing experience. It was the ultimate stress relief and I felt so relaxed. It is a great way to end the day. There is so much to do and enjoy including looking up at all the stars in the desert night. I have stayed many times at the La Costa Resort however Carefree Resort offers better service, rates and an over all unique experience. A+ We will be back !!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — i loved everything
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
Colorado
Reviewed October 1, 2007

I spent three days at the Carefree Resort from Sept. 29 - October 1st. I travelled alone, seeking a chance to have some relaxation, rest, and spiritual growth. I chose Carefree largely because it was one of the less expensive spa resorts in Arizona, and as a public school teacher, my budget doesn't stretch very far. In fact, with the cost of lodging, tazes, fees, food, and very limited spa services, I spent over $1,000 in just three days - or, in other words, half my monthly income as a teacher. That said, my hope was that I would really have a chance to grow and reflect and relax and hoped that the money spent would be worth it.

Broadly speaking, the resort is fine. Admittedly, I was a bit disappointed upon arrival, because it simply wasn't as pretty or luxurious as I had anticipated a $170/night hotel to be. The staff members were all very kind, courteous, and helpful, and generally seemed to be enjoying their jobs, and the one thing that was utterly impressive was the food at the Lariat Grill. I was continually impressed by the quality.

I was, however, really disappointed by a large majority of the rest of my trip. The first room to which I was assigned had broken door locks, and though the staff was quick to assist me in changing rooms, this was not the greatest start to the trip. My new room was dumpy - again, not what I would expect for the cost. The hair dryer had been torn off the wall, and I had continued struggle getting housekeeping to bring me a new one. The mirror has broken glass edges, the bathroom floor was not swept during my stay, and the sliding patio door had very loose glass in it that was damaged.

One of the major reasons I chose to do a spa resort in Arizona was for...well, the spa! Again, because of my budget, it was hard for me to rationalize spending the exorbitant amount of money the services cost, but I hoped that they would be so luxurious that I would end up being glad I dd it. I was, however, disappointed in the quality of the spa services. I felt rushed and pushed through. I was disappointed that the steam room was not in working order, and the general facility seemed shoddy to me. In Colorado, for the amount of money I spent, I would have received three times the services in three times the setting. It was a true disappointment. Additionally, I am a fitness enthusiast and was very disappointed in the quality of the "fitness center." The equipment was archaic and non-functional. 15 minutes on the elliptical trainer sounded like a herd of elephants running through the African jungle. There were no gym attendants, no water, and dirty towels carelessly tossed about.

All of these let downs actually drove me to search the Internet while I was at Carefree to find a neighboring resort at which I could spend a day. I chose to travel over to the Boulders and quickly realized what I had been missing. Their spa, fitness facility, and general property were exactly what I had hoped for, and I was disappointed to note that for about $25 more per night, I could have stayed there and felt like the money I was spending was justified.

Generally speaking, the Carefree resort is an average property with excellent staff and food. However, for the amount of money I spent, I am not regretful that I made the decision to stay there. I would have rather enjoyed a weekend in Mexico for that cost.

• Liked — Food, staff
  • Disliked — Room, spa, fitness facility, general ambiance of the property
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank ColoradoSonja
GMThatCares, General Manager at Carefree Resort & Conference Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2007
Colorado Sonja:

I feel badly that you did not thoroughly enjoy your experience with us - specifically due to the Fitness Facility. We had hoped to have this center revitalized by the end of summer, however, there was a delay in our equipment arriving. Our project (new equipment, flooring, paint, televisions, etc) will be complete by year-end. When it is, I would love to have you back as my guest to enjoy an experience you should have the first time. As you pointed out, my staff is terrific, and in a short period of time, I think you will find the facilities of our resort a great match. Again, please accept my apologies for your experience...I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind Regards,

Frank
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carefree
Rancho Manana Resort
#1 of 3 in Cave Creek
Troon North
Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North
Desert Ridge
JW Marriott Phoenix Desert Ridge Resort & Spa

Been to Carefree Resort & Conference Center? Share your experiences!