My husband was working in Phoenix for the weekend, and as it overlapped our anniversary we decided to find a resort to spend a few days and celebrate, so we chose The Boulders as it was written up as one of the 50 Top Golf Resorts in the US. He likes golf, I like pools, decision made.
What can I say- I was extremely impressed with the beauty of the property, the landscaping, the amenties (golf, pools, spa, fitness center) and the vibe- peaceful, calm, serene. As soon as we arrived, I felt calmer and more relaxed. No cars are allowed on the property; they valet park them and you are shepared around in complimentary golf carts, if you request it.
The property is well designed so you don't see many people going to and fro. I loved it! We hardly saw anyone, despite the fact that the resort was reported to be 75% booked. if you don't like crowds, this is the place for you.
The casita (our hotel room) was spacious and equipped with a great bed, a fireplace, a huge flatscreen, a very large bathroom with a walk-in closet, and 2 super-comfy oversized leather chairs. My favorite was the patio- super quiet, shaded, private, and a view of a natural desert landscape. I could sit outside in pleasantly shaded sun, reading, watching bunnies and hummingbirds make their nests.
New York Times was delivered daily, which made my day as a subscribed reader.
Service was great- from the welcome at the front desk, where all the added charges (resort fee includes tips) were made clear- to the valet- to the room service- to the surprise bottle of champaign from the Manager for our anniversary.
The pools are lovely- and views from the pools are stunning. My husband found the golf course challenging and really lovely. he had a great time.
There are a number of dining choices on grounds- all fine, some better than others -my favorite was a lunch at at the spa and the main restaurant in the lodge. But for more options, just a pleasant 5 minutes walk away on lighted landscaped paths adjacent to the property- is a mall/shopping area with at least 3 more dining locations. We ate at a fun pizza place there, and there was a very popular Mexican Restaurant as well. It also has a Ben and Jerrys and the Bakery Cafe.
There are tons of outdoorsy activities available on the property- hiking, climbing, biking, nature walks, etc.
The fitness center was outstanding- I was able to complete my entire high-maintenance (thanks to my personal trainer back home) workout without problems, and with great views, and finished it off with a wonderful shower experience in the spa with great products, plently of space, and an abundance of fluffy towels and amenities. They have a large schedule of daily, free fitness classes available from yoga to cardio to pilates, to you name it.
My only complaints? Not really complaints- just some considerations to make sure it is the right place for you.
- If you are looking for a lively place with lots of people watching and conversations to evesdrop on at the pool- this is not the place for you.
- I woudn't probably reccomend it for families with young kids- other than the pools, they didn't seem to have childrens activities that I was aware of, and getting around might be a pain as the property and walks are quite large.
- They have 3 pools, but they are very spread out and good sized, but not huge. They only had one attendent at a time at each pool, so at times you had to wait for your beverage, food, or a menu.
- If you don't like to walk- this may not be the place for you if you are not interested in using the free golf cart service. The property is quite large.
- The casitas have fireplaces in them, which is really nice- but if the smell of smoke bothers you- you may not care for it. They burn some kind of wood that is unfamiliar to us as northeners- and the smell was a bit odd as you walked about the property, as many people also had outdoor fireplaces. Mesquite? Not sure.
Will we go again? Absolutely- hopefully this spring. Would highly reccomend it to anyone who is looking for a luxury resort experience in a very quiet, natural setting. Awesome.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to a secluded haven amid the natural splendor of painted desert sand, towering cacti, and clear, blue sky - The Boulders. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Prestigia, Hilton Hotels Direct, Travelocity, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Boulders Resort & Spa, Curio Collection by Hilton reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Boulders, a Waldorf Astoria Hotel Carefree
- The Waldorf Astoria Collection Carefree
- The Boulders Resort And Golden Door Spa
- Boulders Resort
- The Boulders Resort Luxury
- Boulder Arizona