“Excellent Food”
Review of Carefree Station Grill & Bar - CLOSED

Carefree Station Grill & Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: An award winning, casual, upscale restaurant in the heart of Carefree that boasts four unique dining areas. The Garden, BevHeaven "rooftop",the Atrium, and the Dining Room with 3 fireplaces. The "Cheers" style bar is large enough to bring friends but friendly enough to never be a stranger. Home to a 300 item, eclectic wine list where you can find some of the worlds highest rated, small production wines, to the finest spirits and beers in the world. At the bars you will find that only the best get to BevHeaven! With all that Carefree Station has to offer, the most exciting aspect of it all is the food. Globally inspired cuisine, big & bold flavors with an emphasis on Southwestern. Great steaks, the freshest seafood are offered in regular and petite sizes for all appetites. Even the housemade desserts are offered in a bite sized option. Dishes are prepared with the freshest ingredients with great care and artful presentation. Seem too good to be true, after 9 years and getting better!
“Excellent Food”
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I had a wonderful dinner last night, they have a brand new scallop dish that is a must try, I had a filet that was cooked to perfection, the chef came out of the kitchen and asked how was dinner, he is proud of his creations and we were happy we were able to try them.

scottsdale az
“a case of if the chef just extended himself out of his comfort zone this place could rise to stardom”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Great southwest/rustic ambience. Went for brunch on a sunday although the outdoor seating was attractive and shaded by many umbrellas giving an inviting feel we opted for the indoor seating because of the heat outside and found the interior beautifully appointed. The wait staff were attentive initially and set a comfortable tone. We wanted bennies and knew this place had a good selection of choices. I had the crabmeat in boursin cheese with spinach on a brioche bread slice.The crabmeat was almost non existent with very few flakes and the weird thing about these bennies is that the brioche bread as the base is untoasted and just a flavorless light little sponge not really suited to eggs benedict. The hollendaise was light, not rich and the spinach cooked perfectly but the crabmeat was certainly a disappointment. Eggs were poached right on. My companion had the steak bennies. The steak was flavorless and extremely small on each brioche round and not really worth the price. No more bennies here. On top of it all, on the menu it is printed champagne served gratis with each breakfast entree. We had to ask for the champagne and the waitress seemed to be confused about it and then the manager came over and we asked him about the free champagne listed clearly on the menu and he seemed a little reluctant about it but then came back with a pouring of it. It was rather good and then he came back and poured us another willingly. This made me uncomfortable about the free drink and left me in a quandary??? I had a chance to peruse the rest of the menu of lunch items with a strong southwest flavor and creatively combined dishes and I will be back to sample those on another occasion. They really need to change the brioche addition and come up with something else if they arent going to use english muffins. All in all the experience was average but I feel the place can be very good or better with more care taken and more effort expended in both giving a better dining experience on a social level and offering a better quality to the main ingredient in their dishes for brunch. Maybe our choices were not their best dishes although they were the highest priced bennies at $18. At least the champagne was quite good. This place is also hidden in the Spanish Village and worth the walk to discover it.

• Visited August 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
“Champagne brunch? Yes please!”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

After a women's church retreat at the Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center in Carefree, my mother, sister and I took a quick look around Carefree. Wandered into the Spanish Village and the Carefree Station for lunch. What a happy day! Upon arriving our waiter asked if we'd like champagne, it comes with any brunch menu item -- well yes, don't mind if I do! Refills? Oh my....

The champagne set the stage for a fantastic brunch. I ordered the Sonoran Stack. I usually opt for sweet breakfast, but the menu was so enticing, I struggled to decide. I was feeling spicy, and this dish was fantastic. It was a 5 star plate, except for 1 glaring absence. The dish needed a side of chucky toasty bread to use as a sponge for all that yummy sauce. I asked and was informed that an english muffin was an option, and promply received one. However, this dish needed some seriously hefty homemade bread, and an english muffin was just too dainty for the task at hand.

My family was equally as thrilled with their selections. We were all pleased with our experience. We even opted for a the Red Devil Sliders for dessert. My Mother has a weakness for red velvet cake so we couldn't pass those up. They were a nice twist on the traditional red velvet. The almond brittle "fries" were a nice side for the "sliders". The addition of orange was a nice note.

Other impressions:

The diners were a mixed bunch. Families with kids / babies. Couples and adults. Young, hipster types. Older folks. I might dare to bring my (sometimes) tolerably behaved preschoolers for brunch.

The bathrooms were very cool. Loved the boldly colored sinks. I even approved the music in the restroom (Tori Amos. Who knew?).

I'd like to visit in cooler weather and enjoy the nice courtyard setting that is available. The menu had lots of original plates that looked worth trying. Portions were larger but not outrageous. As far as $$, I was suprised how well we ate for the price.

Carefree Station. Worth the drive! We will be back.

• Visited August 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great neighborhood place”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Great place for casual dining. Menu has choices for everyone and the food is tasty. There is enough served per order that you can share and taste.

• Visited May 2012
Milford, Connecticut
“Wonderful find in Carefree”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Only a 5 minute ride from The Boulders. Not a lot of food options in this area, so we were very happy to find this place. Food was great. Service good. Try the 24 Karat cheesecake-- absolutely incredible!

• Visited July 2012