“Incredible”

Boulders Resort Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 8 things to do in Carefree
More attraction details
Owner description: The Boulders is world renowned as one of the finest golf, tennis and spa resorts in the United States, a 2008 Golf Magazine Platinum Medal Award winning resort. Travel and Leisure Golf recently ranked The Boulders as the #7 Golf Resort in the USA for 2006 and #2 Golf Resort in the USA for 2005. Regionally the magazine ranked The Boulders the #1 Golf Resort in the Southwest for 2005 and 2006. The Boulders Club is nestled in the tranquil beauty of the high Sonoran desert and 12-million year old granite boulder formations that dot the landscape. From the ancient Indians to the modern day vacationers who come to bask in the peace of a spectacular natural setting, all have been drawn to the vast serenity of the terrain and the precariously balanced boulders silhouetted against the Sonoran sky.
Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have played hundreds of golf courses over the years and tough to rank a number one course until now. Incredble views, conditions and hospitality. It is the best value of all the courses in this area.

1  Thank Jeff B
All reviews
"in great shape"
in 13 reviews
"pro shop"
in 12 reviews
"north and south courses"
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews
"bring your camera"
"locker room"

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've played all over the US and I've never played at a course quite as scenic as this one. We played Troon North Pinnacle the first day & Boulders South the next. Troon was in a little better condition in our opinion, but the spectacular layout of Boulders South is simply awesome. The staff and facilities there and really top-notch. You will lay down a couple bucks to play here in the winter (Troon as well), but it will provide an experience you will never forget. Go for it!!!

1  Thank Road_Warrior34655
Reviewed December 19, 2012

As I indicated it is pricey but bite the bullet and enjoy this beatiful course. The service here is very good from the bag boys to the waiter in the restaurant. The course is in great condition. The fairways were lush and the greens fast and true. The views are incredible especially the huge rock formations in this area. The reason I say to golf this once is you will not see scenery like this anywhere in the US hence the name The Boulders. Do Not forget your CAMERA like I did.

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Having only 2 days on hand I spent hours trying to determine whether to play Troon North Monument or Boulders South. I was staying at The Boulders. On the second day Monument was closed for a tournament and South was closed for members. After reading tons of reviews I decided to play the South Course at The Boulders. What a stunning course! The landscape offers the best desert golf there probably is. The fairways are narrow and require a lot of control. It's so easy to lose balls here.

From the time you arrive at the club you get taken care of so well, just like a private club that anyone can play. The range facilities are nice and I always love hitting off the grass rather than mats.

In terms of the condition it was 95% to the mark, just a bit on the dry side since they were sanding the greens for the season. The design is excellent and visually very tricky. I don't recommend a beginner playing anything other than white or closer. We played blues and it was not easy. I'm in the mid single digits and ended up with a 78. There are pars to be had if you're around the green in regulation and know the green speed. My advice is, please think about each hole before teeing up and whacking the ball. It's not about hitting far, it's about placing. On the 608 yard par 5, I got a par with hitting a 3 wood of the tee to avoid a long carry over the desert. Then a fairway wood and a mid iron in, two puts. My friend who hadn't played in 2 years and is a high handicapper made a 6 on this hole doing the same thing.

Since I didn't play Troon North I can't write a comparison but I will say that if you do chose this, you will not be sorry. On my next trip I will play Monument, God willing!

Go play!