“Surprised my taste buds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chilleen's on 17

Chilleen's on 17
Cuisines: American, Bar, Barbecue, Southwestern
Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Large groups, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Mesa, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Surprised my taste buds!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

We have driven by this place a couple times a year for as long as I can remember. We finally stopped today and wow! I had the brisket with beans and slaw. Slaw was good, brisket moist and perfectly cooked, BBQ sauce sweet and tangy all very good. The beans were what sent my tasebuds over the moon. Perfect smokey flavor with a bit of the spice rub added. Wow! I will make it a point to stop again and again! I have had bbq in Texas, South Carolina, Missouri and Tennessee. This place really holds it's, own with the Big BBQ places I've been to. Very clean, good service.

1 Thank sak-amy

“Don't waste your time and money over Bar Rescue notoriety. Better food and service down the road at Rock Springs Cafe!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

No host or hostess so seat yourself. Table had some sticky residue on it. Waitress welcome greeting..."Ya want something ta drink?" Ordered the moonshine punch - OK. The smoked brisket was above average while the beans and slaw sides were average. Should drop some smoked bacon in with the beans and offer a side of Texas toast. Would like to see a smoked prime rib entree option. Waitress brings me a check with total dollar amount and no details. I had presented my Yelp online 10% discount to her and requested a detailed receipt to ensure she subtracted it. She didn't.

1 Thank AZRoss
New Port Richey, Florida
“Fun stop on a road trip!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

Reviews here sounded good, and there wasn't much else around. Very welcoming atmosphere, and live music played as we walked in at 8pm on a Tuesday night. Cute copy in the menu- "things that used to moo." :-) Hubby liked the wings, BBQ chicken was great! Glad we stopped.

1 Thank TracyH H
Albuquerque
“Rescued, and then some”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

After seeing Chilleens on 17 on the program Bar Rescue, my wife and I decided to visit on a recent trip to Las Vegas. We had to travel 200 miles tround trip out of our way to go there.
Our server was Melissa. She was prompt, attentive, and met every request with a smile.
I started with the "17 sweet tea", a non-alcoholic drink made for travelers. I am not a big tea drinker, but this was fantastic! I had to have two. My wife ordered the fried green chiles. Since moving to the southwest, she has become a real chile eater. She raved about them. I tried them too, and they were very good.
I ordered the briscuit, which came with slaw and baked beans. The briscuit was melt-in-your-mouth tender. The BBQ sauce was so good that I asked for more. The slaw was very good, and the beans had a spicy kick, making them different and better than store-bought.
She ordered one of the burgers, and was very impressed. Then came desert. OMG! That is the biggest portion of strawberry shortcake that I have ever seen. She could not begin to finish it. I got to help. :-) The portions were plenty. I finished my dinner, but she took a box along for the ride.
The owner, Scott, was very personable. even though he was busy behind the bar, he took time to say "Hello" and pose for a picture with me.
I never rave about a restaurant, but this time I did. It was worth every mile that we traveled out of the way. I am glad that we did.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank John B
Phoenix, AZ
“Scrumptious BBQ Brisket”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Hubby and I went here after purchasing a Groupon. We went on a Friday night and were torn between ordering bbq or the all-you-can-eat fish. He ended up ordered a chicken/rib combo and I ordered a lean brisket plate. Both were awesome!

Our server was also the bartender. We ate in the bar area (nice booths with cowhide - very in keeping for the area). It started getting pretty busy as there's a pool room off the bar and it had a few patrons playing and ordering cocktails. Despite her handling the bar and tables, she was very attentive and personable.

The sides that come with your meal are generally cole slaw (pretty good) and baked beans. I wasn't a real fan of the beans, but you can make substitutions. Now the bbq - the smell is heaven when you enter. The hubby is quite the rib fan and said these were among the best he's ever had. The chicken was good as well, but he skipped a reorder (oh - did I mention these are all you can eat?) and went straight for more ribs. I had the brisket. You can ask for a lean cut, which I recommend. There was still a good deal of fat on it, but overall very good. The bbq saue that's served on the side is fortunately not too sweet.

We will definitely dine here again - probably even tonight for the fish fry!

• Visited June 2013