“Rescued, and then some”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 30, 2013

After seeing Chilleens on 17 on the program Bar Rescue, my wife and I decided to visit on a recent trip to Las Vegas. We had to travel 200 miles tround trip out of our way to go there.
Our server was Melissa. She was prompt, attentive, and met every request with a smile.
I started with the "17 sweet tea", a non-alcoholic drink made for travelers. I am not a big tea drinker, but this was fantastic! I had to have two. My wife ordered the fried green chiles. Since moving to the southwest, she has become a real chile eater. She raved about them. I tried them too, and they were very good.
I ordered the briscuit, which came with slaw and baked beans. The briscuit was melt-in-your-mouth tender. The BBQ sauce was so good that I asked for more. The slaw was very good, and the beans had a spicy kick, making them different and better than store-bought.
She ordered one of the burgers, and was very impressed. Then came desert. OMG! That is the biggest portion of strawberry shortcake that I have ever seen. She could not begin to finish it. I got to help. :-) The portions were plenty. I finished my dinner, but she took a box along for the ride.
The owner, Scott, was very personable. even though he was busy behind the bar, he took time to say "Hello" and pose for a picture with me.
I never rave about a restaurant, but this time I did. It was worth every mile that we traveled out of the way. I am glad that we did.

1  Thank John B

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Hubby and I went here after purchasing a Groupon. We went on a Friday night and were torn between ordering bbq or the all-you-can-eat fish. He ended up ordered a chicken/rib combo and I ordered a lean brisket plate. Both were awesome!

Our server was also the bartender. We ate in the bar area (nice booths with cowhide - very in keeping for the area). It started getting pretty busy as there's a pool room off the bar and it had a few patrons playing and ordering cocktails. Despite her handling the bar and tables, she was very attentive and personable.

The sides that come with your meal are generally cole slaw (pretty good) and baked beans. I wasn't a real fan of the beans, but you can make substitutions. Now the bbq - the smell is heaven when you enter. The hubby is quite the rib fan and said these were among the best he's ever had. The chicken was good as well, but he skipped a reorder (oh - did I mention these are all you can eat?) and went straight for more ribs. I had the brisket. You can ask for a lean cut, which I recommend. There was still a good deal of fat on it, but overall very good. The bbq saue that's served on the side is fortunately not too sweet.

We will definitely dine here again - probably even tonight for the fish fry!

1  Thank kaishouse
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

This is a quaint little out-of-the way place right on I-17 about halfway between the Phoenix airport and Sedona. I wasn't sure what to expect, with the long dirt driveway past a little junky area. But inside is clean and cute, and holds charmingly to its western theme.

Lindsey, my server, was as friendly and helpful as could be. From the minute I walked in the door, she was smiling and made me feel instantly at home. Despite throwing a VERY strange substitution at her, she barely flinched and said "sure, we can do that!" She was on top of everything and was excellent at anticipating my needs, without being pushy. Great service.

As for the food, the portions are enormous. The Black Canyon Chicken was fall-off-the-bone tender, but a little dry for my taste. There was so much meat, though, I could swear there was something like half a chicken on my plate. The taco (I told you it was a strange substitution!) was disappointing, considering it was "taco day" today - it was dry and lacking flavor. Just a hard shell with ground beef, lettuce and cheese. No real seasoning that I could taste. So why did I still give the food a "4" rating, despite the taco? The strawberry shortcake saved the day! Oh goodness, it filled a large bowl and was delicious. Warm, moist cake with two giant scoops of ice cream, lots of strawberry sauce, and a hearty portion of whipped cream on top. The cake itself is what makes this dish.... homemade on-site each day, from what I hear. Worth saving room for, if you can.

Overall, I would recommend this place. I'd seen it on Bar Rescue, but reserved judgment since not everything on TV is a good thing. In this case, I was pleased!

Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Stopped here on the way to Prescott. Had the brisket dinner. Included slaw and baked beans. All was good and large portion of brisket. Fire ball and beer special good also...fire ball was ashot of cinnamon whiskey.

1  Thank mrlar13
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I stopped here after visiting Flagstaff to get an early dinner because we had seen the new sign and noting it had been on television. We were a bit confused when we walked in whether we should seat ourselves but then a waitress came out shortly after we arrived and told us to sit anywhere we wanted. The decor is simple and rustic and smells like a BBQ which was nice. It did take a while to get our food but we had high hopes and thought good food takes longer. I had the BBQ half chicken, it was so dry, even the dark meat had to be dunked in the side of bbq sauce for it to be swallowed and it tasted as though it had been smoked then refridgerated and then heated proir to serving, the coleslaw was dry and had zero taste, it was like they forgot to put the sauce in it.. My husband had a burger and they asked how he wanted it cooked, he ordered medium well and it was served well done. The only thing done right was the french fries.

1  Thank JackieG01