“Quaint 50s-like Motor Inn Motel, The Diner... not so great”
Review of San Jose Lodge

San Jose Lodge
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Reviewed February 17, 2010

We didn't have reservations to stay in Bisbee, as we decided to find a place when we got there. We are glad we didn't stay in Old Bisbee as the reviews say it's pretty noisy at all the historic hotels. We found this place and were very happy with how quiet and clean the place was and I'm pretty picky! We had a nice big king bed that was moderately comfortable, and with clean bedding! The bathroom is extremely tight. I decided to take a bath to get relaxed before going to bed and the water continually leaked so I had to keep the water slightly on in order to have a full tub. That was the only "problem" with the room, which was nothing! We thought it was pretty cool that we were only 1.5 miles from the border. We could see the border fence lights from the entrance. The border patrol office is right down the road. Out of the 3 places we stayed in our AZ travels, this was our favorite. When we come back to Bisbee, we will stay here again!

The diner is a different story...
The drink special was strawberry daiquiri or margarita, which was mostly crushed ice. Our friend ordered one on the rocks and he said it had an odd (I think sour) flavor. His wife tried his drink and grimaced. I ordered a Mexican dish that ended up so hot I couldn’t eat more than one bite. Thankfully my husband traded with me, but it was even too hot for him, but he choked it down. My girlfriend tried a bite and was also shocked at how spicy it was. When the waitress came by and asked if everything was all right, I mentioned it, her reply was… “Well, this is a Mexican restaurant, most people ask for it to be hotter” and then she walked off. I was shocked! I didn’t ask her to take it back. Don’t ask for feedback if you don’t want it! When we come back to the motel, we will NOT be eating at the diner!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 20, 2009

I chose to stay on the outskirts of Bisbee in order to have wi-fi services and parking.

Although the rates for a single room with a double bed was reasonable at $55, I was concerned that my room did not have a security or a chain lock inside the room and the screen on the window had been torn.

I also did not have a great sense of cleanliness after staying at other places like a Holiday Inn but there is a mom and pop type restaurant on site with good prices.

On a scale of 1 to 5, this is a 2 star motel.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank QUEENANNEGRL
Reviewed July 29, 2009

We stayed here for a few days in July. I sat in the car while my boyfriend checked in. A mere 30 minutes later he came back to the car, frustrated. He explained to me that he had to show the guy behind the counter how to use the copy machine to get a copy of his receipt. He also complained that it took so long, I too had noticed that part.
When we got back to our room we realized that he had given us a receipt for the guy who was staying in the room next to ours. On the receipt included his address, phone, and name.

The hotel itself was okay. Clean, and a nice pool to go with it. I also noticed that our free high speed internet was not as high speed as I had hoped.
Our room was toward the back of the hotel where there is a fence and some barb wire at the top. I wondered if there was a jail nearby or something of that nature. I later found out it was border patrol who's office is just downt he street and who's property runs behind the hotel.
My boyfriend was on business while I stayed and ran around the town. While he was at work I went back to the hotel only to find that my key was not working. I drove to his work to get his key, and went back to the hotel and realized that his key was not working either. I went to the front desk where the guy who checked us in was there. He ran my key through a machine and said, "I'm just checking to see if you are who you say you are." Which was weird because he had never met me, and never asked for id, or any proof of who I was. He explained to me that he had only entered the key into the computer for one day even though we were staying for three.
All in all, although the experience was somewhat frustrating, the hotel itself was alright. The barb wire fence had me a little concerned along with some signs as to not travel alone (which is what I was doing). If the guy behind the counter could just figure out to use the equipment to run the hotel, it would be an alright stay

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2009

Not the most convenient position but very good value for money, this basic motel has extemely clean, well decorated rooms with fridge, Microwave and cable TV. Free wi-fi is included and worked well.
It took us a little while to find it as it is about 3 miles outside the center of Bisbee but once you know where it is it does not cause a problem.
The only downside was that breakfast was not included but there is a Diner on site so it is easy to buy Breakfast or Dinner.
The owner was friendly and helpful and all in all, a better Motel than many that we stayed in, in Arizona, at twice the price.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 20, 2009

I stayed this week at the San Jose Lodge on business and found the rooms clean (my room had new curtains and a new bedspread) though my colleagues expressed some minor problems with their rooms. In my room I did find the bathroom towels were worn a bit. The room includes a sofa, small desk, 25 inch tube TV with dozens of cable channels & good reception, small coffee maker, refrigerator, microwave; in-room wifi service worked well; a/c worked very well; exterior of building could use some fresh paint, but pretty nice overall. Has a restaurant, business center, pool, and it's convenient to downtown Bisbee...This motel has only ground floor rooms, one of those old-style roadside motels (see photos).

However, I gave a poor rating for service because we finished our business early and called the hotel about 2pm to see if we would still be charged full rate for that day if we left now. Even though their check-out time was 11am, and it was only 3 hours past check-out and there was literally only one other guest other than our group, the clerk still insisted he would charge us a full days rate. This caused us to alter our plans and stay in Bisbee the rest of the day and leave the next morning. I suggested a half-day rate but the clerk refused - a little cheap on their part I thought. And for value I would also rate them as poor because although we were given the Government rate, their regular room rate is about $90 a night - it certainly isn't worth that price.

We did eat at the restaurant one evening after work - a mix of Mexican and American food, I found it to be acceptable but a little high priced - my colleagues expressed similar opinions.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank dojodan
Reviewed June 23, 2008

The San Jose Lodge is a normal motel with updated rooms
We travel to Bisbee several times a year and prefer to stay there because the rooms are clean with coffee service, microwave and fridge. The location is not too far from Bisbee, in fact, I like that it is away from the craziness of the town.
We have stayed in many of the downtown hotels, and none are as clean or comfortable as this one. If I were only going to be in Bisbee one time, I probably would recommend staying downtown for the atmosphere, but that can get to be too much if you go there frequently.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank desertpuma
Reviewed March 26, 2007

Do not go by the photos on this Lodge's website. The RV park is not at all maintained, is not for people with pets due to the sand burrs that are everywhere - and really not fit for people either as no matter what you do you drag sand burrs with you. I was very disappointed - I'm all for good marketing as a business owner, but to show photos that are supposedly your lodge (I have no clue where the lodge portrayed is!) and there is no resemblance is downright criminal. My advice? Stay away! Lynne@silvio.com

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)