“Bisbee's hidden gem”
Review of Jonquil Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bisbee
Jonquil Motel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Tucson, Arizona
“Bisbee's hidden gem”
Reviewed May 30, 2008

After passing through Bisbee i wanted to check it out. So when i had family visiting me we decided to make the trip and stay the night. I looked over a few other hotels in the area but kept coming back to Jonquil because of it's great looking pictures and the great reviews (and it wasn't haunted a big plus). It was perfect! We stayed in room 7 (because of the separate bed rooms) and loved it! Not only was the room great but the staff were so friendly. We even were able to check in earlier than planned! The motel a walk from downtown but it is very do able. But it is up a hill so you may want to park downtown. A small breakfast is included at the market (juice and a pastry) which has a lot of nice things and good food in it. Over all the motel is great and i would go back in a heart beat.

• Liked — Staff friendlyness and pice
  • Disliked — No internet connection
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Poole, England
Reviewed April 12, 2008

I chose the Jonquil from their website because it looked funky and different from other B&Bs in Bisbee. The Manager was very friendly and even let us check in earlier than we had planned. The pictures on the website had unremarkable furniture in the rooms, but when we arrived everything was very chic and comfortable. Obviously updated recently. Flat screen TV with DVD player and a huge, comfy bed with gorgeous bed linens. Our room, #4, even had a colorful Mexican painted sink in the bathroom. Complimentary breakfast down the road at the High Desert Cafe was great too. We would highly recommend the Jonquil to our friends.

• Liked — price, comfort, location, parking
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
France - Arizona
Reviewed February 13, 2008

I do not understand the people who call this hotel a "jewel".

We stayed in room #1 (there are 6 rooms altogether)

What's positif :
Friendly lady owner ;
Very clean.

What's negatif :
I wanted to turn off the heater ; I was told that the heater's command is in room 3 and 4 and that the people there probably would not turn off the heat !!
So you depend on other guests for your comfort.
The bathroom is large, but no heater ; there is a small electric portable heater in the wardrobe that you have to bring in the bathroom.
There is only one nightable therefore only one nightlamp ; the
main lamp on the ceiling beeing not bright at all, you have to choose who will read, you or your spouse.
It's too bad because the room could be cute ; but so dark at night that it is uncomfortable.
By the way, room #1 is directly on the strret (6 or 7 feet).....
There is a breakfast included (Juice, cafe and danish) ; you
take it in a nice small typical market 3 minutes wlak from the hotel. But, the lady there is not friendly and when we ask for the juices, she said : "oh! you also want juice." .......
But the cafe and danish are very good.

So, it's definitely overpriced (room 1 is $75 to 85; the fact that the buildin is 78 years old is not an excuse.

• Disliked — heater and A/C
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
animalfair, Innkeeper at Jonquil Motel, responded to this review, February 26, 2008
The Jonquil is currently undergoing a remodel, and some of the reviewer's issues will be resolved in the process.

Indeed this property from the 1930's has central air/heat for rooms 1-4. We will be installing independently-controlled units in each room to enhance the comfort level of all guests.

We are very excited about the upgrades to all 7 rooms at this property, many of which are already in place: new queen beds in every room, new furniture, new linens, fresh paint and carpet, wonderful landscaping in the front courtyard as well as the back yard (an oasis in the summer, with plush grass and blooming rose bushes).

Many of our guests return year after year to enjoy Bisbee and this property. We are working hard to enhance everyone's stay and appreciate positive feedback as well as contructive criticism.
surprise,az
Reviewed October 9, 2007

My husband & I loved this motel! We plan on coming back to rent two or three rooms for a family get together - hopefully in a few months. . We only stayed one night, but plan on using the bbq in the backyard on our next stay. We started our long weekend with a bad experience at a motel in Tombstone. The second night in Tombstone - I couldn't take the living conditions of the motel we were in , so I called the Jonquil to see if they had any rooms available - the mgr was very sweet and took my name to hold a room for us for the next day. We arrived in Bisbee around 10:30 am and stopped by the Jonquil to let the mgr know we still wanted a room. She was cleaning the rooms, but said to come back after noon and she would have our room ready. She even gave us the key, so that we didn't have to look for her. I highly recommend this motel and can't wait to stay there again.

• Liked — The backyard with the bbq .
  • Disliked — Would rather have control of the air conditioning and heat.
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
the past
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I was just passing through Bisbee on my way to visit some family when my son insisted we spend some time out of the car. We quickly found the Jonquil Motel and checked in. We found the room to be super-clean and comfortable, with a decent-sized bathroom and a very welcoming bed. The owner was also very friendly/helpful, being able to recommend a good place to grab some breakfast on our way out of town the next day. I would recommend this hotel to anyone needing a cozy room at a fair price.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank boxofrain
Hollywood, Ca
Reviewed July 13, 2007

What a lovely atmosphere at this small, quaint Motel. We appreciated the ample parking and charming rooms. In the evenings we sat relaxing in the courtyard having our coffee. We spoke to other guest who were returning visitors to this Motel and think that is the best review that we got. The price is most reasonable. Bisbee is a lovely town and getting away from the bustle of the city was just what we needed. Don't forget to check out the beautiful mural on the side of the building. It's really insperational.

• Liked — Location and atmosphere
  • Disliked — everything was fine
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WestLA
scorpiolina
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Do Not STAY at this MOTEL, I say MOTEL because that is exactly what you will get. Terrible Terrible service
Do Not, I repeat Do not ever pay ahead for your room and sign any receipts until you know the status of your stay.I was over charged first of all for a room that was extremely small, no phone, no A/C with weather of 100 degrees. They have a fan and a portable heater in the closet.
I drove 4hrs to find out that when I did get there I caught the flu with 102.0 fever and was in the room for about 1 1/2 hrs. When I went to check out to drive another 4hrs back home, the owner Carrie was actually very nice and said how sorry she was about my being sick and that she would credit back the whole amount of my money if she rented the room and if she did not rent the room that she would credit at least 1/2. When I called back a few days later and did not see a credit I called and talked with Carrie and she said she did not rent the room. So I asked about the 1/2 credit. She said she was not going to give me a credit of any kind. That she had to change the sheets put clean towels ect. I had not used anything in the room, so there was no reason to change anything.Plus she didnt even say anything about disinfecting the room, so imagine all the germs that are left in the air, especially if the last customer was sick -like myself. She did go on to say this is a small motel with 7 rooms and we dont make a lot of money here.
So this leads me to believe that she doesnt care how they get their money as long as she gets it.
I feel in all my experience with staying out of town whether it be a big Hotel or a small motel in a situation like this many would have honored what they said about crediting an amount or even have been much more professional and considerate. Even some kind of compensation. Not like I would have excepted now.
I have family in Bisbee and everyone I have met are usually extremely nice. Bisbee is still a beautiful town just stay at the EL DORADO you will like it so much better.
I have reported this motel to the BBB and have recieved the over charged amount from my bank.
signed,
disgusted

• Liked — The only thing was the shower was a decent size
  • Disliked — service, room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank scorpiolina
mrbisbee, Owner at Jonquil Motel, responded to this review, July 13, 2007
It is unfortunate that people can write whatever they please and
possibly be believed. In response to The July 3rd stay of
Scorpiolina, she failed to mention that after checking in she brought
five of her closest friends and ice chest in the room and stated they would be going to another establishment after the rest of the their party arrived in Bisbee and they would not be staying the night, only waiting. After 4hrs of use of the room including the bed and the bathroom she does come and
say she is ill and checking out, exit her and all her friends.
The room and carpet were dirtier than the stay of most of our
overnight guests. In eight years of running The Jonquil Motel
we have luckily had very few guests like scorpiolina. Luckily
for us she will not be back.
Carrie Henderson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
#4 of 9 in Tombstone
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to Jonquil Motel? Share your experiences!