“good food, but...”

Ranked #1 of 51 Restaurants in Bisbee
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Unique flavor combinations, vivid colors and complimentary textures combine with a carefully chosen wine list, and a vivacious atmosphere to create not just a satisfying meal, but a convivial dining experience. Come for the live music every Friday night, come to celebrate a life milestone or come for a love of good food, come to find out what is truly one of the great rural restaurants in Arizona.Cafe Roka serves Food to Live For!
Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I ate here a few weeks back while visiting Bisbee. We have visited Bisbee a number of times over the years, but never had the opportunity to eat here. I was anxious to try it due to the high reviews. Well, here is my detailed analysis:
[1] Food: I had the Lamb meatballs and enjoyed them a lot. With the soup and salad, I give my meal 4-4.5 stars. My wife had the veggie Lasagna and wasn't as happy as I was. She thought it was just OK and gave it 3 stars. However, she did love the soup and said it was the best Gazpacho she had eaten.
[2] Service: I will give it 3 stars. Our waitress was a older woman who seemed a bit on the grumpy side. She asked me how I was on first approach and I stated that I was hanging in there. Now, for context this was an honest answer since we had been out the night before and I had drank some serious beer at the local micro brewery and was possibly a bit hung-over. I asked her in return how she was doing and she replied a bit grumpily..."well, better than just hanging in there"...no smile...now, she could have joked with me a bit and said she would try to help me with some great food or something...opportunity lost...mood set...we like to joke with and talk to our waiters, but after that exchange, we had to steer clear of her.
[3] Ambiance: 2 stars. If you are looking for a fun place to enjoy your meal, this is not the place. Wasn't that busy the night we were there, and was oddly kind of subdued. However, the worse part is the annoying clearing of your table the second you finish one of the 4 courses. I noticed others have commented on this over the last year, so mgmt is not trying to correct this off putting practice. That makes it the philosophy of this restaurant and not a training problem as has been suggested. It really makes you feel rushed...like they are trying to get you out as fast as possible for other diners. However, this appeared to be a slow night with several empty tables and no one waiting. So, what gives...? The bus boy would literally swoop in within 15-20 seconds of one of us finishing a course and grab up our plates. We were in and out within 45 mins for a 4 course meal with a drink before...do the Math...
OVERALL - probably 3.5 stars as I personally enjoyed my food a lot and ate every bite...but, probably won't return due to the rushed and non-relaxing atmosphere.

1  Thank AZDuckman

Reviewed June 2, 2014

I've been to Cafe Roka a few times now, and I'm continually impressed by the high quality of the food that's accompanied by consistently friendly and attentive service. It's not just "good for being in a small town." It's great, period.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

The Cafe Roka was a very pleasant surprise. The atmosphere is "formal rustic". We ate will a group, so, the service was more banquet than individual. However, the service was quite adequate. The food was tasty and very well presented. We would gladly return to this Bisbee jewel.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had dinner at Cafe Roka our second night in Bisbee. I was glad I had made reservations in advance because it was very busy. The food and service is excellent and they were very accommodating to our service dog. My mother and I had the special which was rack of lamb which was excellent and my husband has the spicy Italian sausage with penne which he said had the right amount of spiciness and a blend of wonderful flavors. All dinners come with soup, salad and sherbet. For dessert we had creme brulee which was very good. They have a great selection of wine. All-in-all great dinner for a great value! If you do make a reservation and for whatever reason you can't climb stairs please let them know. Our table which did have a great view, was on the 3rd floor and there is no elevator.

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Our second visit to this restaurant and we will definitely go back, despite being over 100 miles away. Our food was some of the best we have ever had. Several vegetarian dishes and vegan can be prepared by order.

Been to Cafe Roka? Share your experiences!