“Cute place, low price”

Ranked #2 of 14 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Tucson, AZ
“Cute place, low price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2007

Oliver House is a cute place right near downtown Bisbee. Each of the rooms has a cute name and is decorated in a particular theme. That part was great and very cute. We stayed in The Morning Glory and I think it was the best room in the place. Many of the rooms had a shared bathroom, as did ours, but we did have a sink. The bed was very comfortable. There was a ceiling fan which kept the room cool. Two rooms had a swamp cooler, but it was run on a switch that was in one of the rooms (so the other room had to deal with however the other room wanted it). There was an outside porch downstairs and a patio upstairs. Very cute. The breakfast consisted of coffee and an english muffin that I made myself. The carpet by the bed could have used a vacuum and there was a lot of maintenance that needed to get done. The guy who ran the place was very nice. It is definitely not a fancy place by any stretch, but I would stay there again because the price was good.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank pebble_pups

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
scottsdale, arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2006

This house is in a fabulous location, but very hard to find. Luckily, a kind local gave us good directions. We were delighted to see that the old house has great bones and appeared very clean and utilitarian. No yucky lace doilys. The rooms we were in was basically a bed and a small loveseat, but that was fine. The linens were clean and so was the bathtub. It was weird to share a bath at the end of the hall, but we didn't encounter any wait time or problems. The host was very relaxed and courteous and we felt free to be. We could walk to everything we wanted to do in Bisbee (shopping and restaurants). The scarey ghosts that are part of the mystique just made it more fun and didn't bother us at all. The bed could have used some new springs, but other than that, it was a quiet comfortable BARGAIN and we would go there again.

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank dalyea
Telluride, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2006

I was born and raised in Bisbee. The owner of The Oliver House is Patty, a longtime family friend. She dated my fater for a long time while I was growing yup. I went to school with her kids and we remain good friends. The only night I spent there was back in 2003. I slept in a modest room that felt very cozy. I don't remember the name. The rooms all have names. I would have to say the best part of The Oliver House is Patty herself. She is very nice and will make you feel at home. There is a kitchen where you can prepare your meals and a living-room type area to hang out in. Patty knows how to make you feel welcoem and is very knowledeable about Bisbee and other things in general. As a bonus, your very clsoe to main street. You can walk to Cafe Roka (hands down best resturant in Bisbee) in 60 seconds.

• Stayed October 2003
1 Thank Izaklast
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2006

So we were expecting a hauntingly good time for an overnight stay on New Years Eve 2005. What we initially found was a great old house with twenty rooms or so, wood floors, grand windows, more than a few large mirrors about, and friendly folk at the greeting. Artifacts hanging on the walls in each room reminicent of "the old west" like old suede cowboy hats, pieces of driftwood, steelworkings, rusted mining tools, broken window frames, western antiques, etc. Fine. We stayed in the "Chili Pepper" room, which seemed normal enough with a fantastic view of the town below and a balchony to boot. Another initial thought my love said, "everyone in this town is weirder than us". that's Bisbee. Our room had a picture of Medusa, so I turned it over, and I think that upset the "ghosts" or whathaveyou. We couldn't sleep all night, we weren't even that drunk from New Years. I met a man on the street earlier who fed us intoxicatingly good coffee and chocolates, but who had a vacant stare in his eyes. The Chili Pepper room has a glass ball called a "Witches Orb" hanging in front of the window, I thought to take it down because of its ugliness, but read on it a tag that said "protection from spirits" so I left it there. I thought the fact that there were so many mirrors around the house, that they could easily be used for photographing illusions of "orbs" as the supernaturalists call them. It's simple to understand that mirrors reflect anything, even if they are not in the picture...something to think about. So we never "saw" anything ghostlike or spiritlike but...the town of Bisbee itself, including the Oliver House and the Copper Queen Hotel, has a haunting, unmistakable eeriness that is ever present and undeniable. We left the town the next afternoon feeling like death was breathing down our necks. NOTE: Beware of the Copper Queen Mine Tour.

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Tempe, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2004

I stayed here over Labor Day weekend 2004. Three friend and I stayed in the Morning Glory Room. The place is nice but they charge $20 per person for more than double occupancy. There is a very nice old black lab named Brice that lives outside in the yard. The place is definetely haunted though. At 2:30am we were all sitting up talking and something unseen grabbed my friends pant leg and shook it!! We all ended up packing up and leaving right them and there. If you are interested in sharing stories with me go to ------------------------------------------.

8 Thank PhxFemme21
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2004

Family from Connecticut and Florida arrived the first week of August, 2004 in Bisbee to attend the festivities of my daughter's wedding.
Most of us stayed at the Oliver House. Patty, the proprietess, treated us as long-time friends. We felt as if we were staying in a large home of a family member. Every morning she offered fresh coffee and homemade coffee cake or muffins. We also had the choices of going to Dot's Diner or another establishment. Most of the time, our full course breakfast choice was Dot's.
The wedding and reception were at the Cafe Roka. As Marilyn and Dave were married under the trellis, there was not a dry eye in the house!
Being the mother of the bride, I may be prejudiced in saying that my daughter's and son-in-law's wedding was the best wedding I ever attended! The Roka provided a wedding feast that could rival any five star restaurant!
My family and I highly recommend the Oliver House and the Cafe Roka to anyone who visits Bisbee!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2004

We stayed at the Oliver House in Bisbee, AZ over Memorial Day weekend, 2004.

From the outside it's very old and quite lovely with big trees, a bridge you must cross to the house, and old iron gates. There is a porch on the top level with beautiful views and a front porch with nice shade. The house is a bit eerie at night and unfortunately we did not experience any ghosts, but there are lots of articles about the house and it's "guests" in and around Bisbee. It's nestled into the town of Bisbee and just a short 5-minute (if even that) walk to the historic town.

The inside is neat with all hardwood floors and what looks like the original doors and some original hardware. The inside of the house does need a lot of work to restore it to it's original splendor. It used to be a boarding house for miners and still feels like a boarding house. Most of the rooms have sinks in them, but not all of the rooms have private baths (toilet & shower), so make sure you ask for that. We stayed in the 'Mimosa Room' which has a very small private bath (toilet & shower), a sink in the room and two windows that gives you a nice cross breeze.

The folks are very friendly and breakfast consists of bagels, scones, juice and coffee.

If you're looking for an upscale B&B this is not the place for you. But, I do recommend it if you want a quiet place with an interesting history and you don't mind an old place with a lot of character.

Enjoy!

• Stayed May 2004
8 Thank TheAZTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista
Landmark Lookout Lodge
Landmark Lookout Lodge
#3 of 9 in Tombstone

Been to Oliver House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!