“Funky and Fun!”

Ranked #6 of 13 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Chandler, Arizona
“Funky and Fun!”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

This place was exactly what we were looking for... a piece of historic Bisbee. Each room has its own theme, and there are several common areas where you can eat, relax, take in the scenery, or warm yourself by the wood stove. The decor is very eclectic and cozy, and the owner and manager were both extremely friendly and helpful. They made great recommendations for us newbies for food and entertainment, and we ran into the owner and his buddy at one of the local watering holes and they showed us a great time in town. We wouldn't even think of staying anywhere else next time we go to Bisbee. (Thanks again, Chris!)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter M
Tiacr B, Owner at The Inn at Castle Rock, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
We really appreciate you choosing The Inn at Castle Rock for your stay and look forward to you returning .

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fort Meade, FL
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This 118 year old building has a giant rock formation right across the street (Castle Rock). It's eclectic and every room has a different theme. A previous owner, who obviously enjoyed creating the magic of this hotel, made it special and it's full of wonderous things....like a huge well in the middle of the hotel office and gift shop. We were offered several rooms to choose from and chose a Southwestern motif. Our bed was comfy and pillows were just like my own, soft and comforting. The staff was friendly and hospitable and were eager to show off and talk about the history of this unique hotel. To make it even better, a BOGO deal was offered the night of our stay. The town of Bisbee is full of shops and it will probably take all day to get through them. Remember that this is a very old hotel and preserving the original character of a former owner. If you like kitschy, this is for you. No TV in room, but there is an awesome TV room on the 3rd floor. Wifi was free, so we didn't need TV. Enjoyed it and if you're not too uppity, you probably will too.

Room Tip: Room 22 is Southwestern and had a king and a queen bed.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank FortMeadMamaJo
Tiacr B, Owner at The Inn at Castle Rock, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Thanks for your feed back on The Inn at Castle Rock. It ia a piece of America West history
Hope to see you again soon
Peoria
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We recently made a booking at the Inn at Castle Rock in Bisbee Arizona. Upon arrrival we were a little dismayed as to the appearance of the Hotel itself - the pictures on the website with the flourecent colors make it look a bit nicer that it actually is. When we arrived at our room we were surprised to find out how small it looked compared to teh picture advertised - I wish I could post them side by side with our actuall ones for you to see the comparison. The Tasmania room advertises a Queen bed - bu the room actually contains a full and it was a very poor matress - when we laid on the bed it pushed both of us to the center. the room was very dusty and all carpets and walls were soiled - I smacked the bed cover and a cloud of dust arose, at that point we asked to have our room refunded and went to a different Hotel. The only reason I am giving this a 2 rather tha a one - is the staff was very friendly and gave us a full refund once we had asked.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank KahunaKarl
Sorry to hear it was not exactly what you thought . Glad you still enjoyed Bisbee
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Checked in and checked right out! Room was nothing like the pictures. We like eclectic but this was awful, dingy and dark. Bathroom was creepy. We wouldn't recommend this hotel. Went to the Eldorado Suite instead and got a beautiful three room suite for $20 a nite more. Fabulous. Bis bee is Great.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Lou S
The staff at The Inn at Castle Rock do a fantastic jod of looking after this beautiful 117 year old building . When you stay in a piece of history you are experiencing a day gone by . Hope you enjoyed Bisbee
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I chose this hotel because of it's location. It is in walking distance to many interesting places on the Canyon. It is old, as most of Bisbee is. It would not get a 5 star rating. But, I enjoyed my stay. The rooms are not fancy. They look like they were furnished from Goodwill. There are veranda's that are great to relax on and watch the world go by. The staff goes above and beyond to help. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Lizzy51_12
Thanks for your feed back . It is different but thats what makes it so special. Hope to see you again soon
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I wanted to like this place. Really, I did. A couple of my family members who had stayed there before warned me away, and I wanted to prove them wrong. I appreciate off-beat places that don't conform to the cookie-cutter standards of chain hotels, so I had high hopes when I checked in.

Chris, the owner, was nice enough to let me into my room early. He was friendly and welcoming, asked me if I needed help with my bags, and told me if I needed anything, to please let them know. When I got to my room, Last Chance, the screen door was closed but the main door was wide open. I found that odd until I walked in and the room reeked of some kind of musty yet overpowering air freshener smell. More on that in a minute.

The room seemed clean enough, although dilapidated. The pink paint was scuffed and peeling in places, the carpet was worn and stained, and the bathroom floor was covered in 70s-era linoleum. The room decor is ticky-tacky Asian, with bamboo and wall fans and junky tsotchkes littering every surface. Less is not more, apparently.

The room was located on the front porch, and there was plenty of furniture outside, so I thought I would take my computer out there and get some work done. Unfortunately, because smoking is not allowed in the rooms, the front porch is where the smokers hang out. It's also right above the street, which, on a busy summer weekend, is crowded and noisy with biker and car traffic. Inside, the noise level was just about as bad. I could hear every word of the conversations going on outside, the pounding and shrieks of the kids running up and down the porch, and the racket of the Harleys cruising the Canyon.

I spent the rest of the day and evening away from the place, and when I came back in late and bone-weary, I was looking forward to a comfy bed and a good night's sleep. As my head hit the pillow, I realized why the room freshener smell was so strong. The pillows and bed smelled faintly of cigarette smoke.

The next morning when I took a shower, I noticed hair on the shower surround. Obviously, it was wiped down with a dirty rag. The shower head was up high and couldn't be adjusted, so unless you're 6'5", you're going to get your hair wet. And that's a problem, because there's no hair dryer in the room.

This place reminds me of going to visit an eccentric old aunt who has lived in the same house for 70 years and filled it up with junk from her travels, but is too old to realize it's not clean and pleasant any more. Chris told me he's owned the place for four years and the renovation process is ongoing, but it's quite obvious he has a long way to go. The place isn't shabby chic, charming, or gracious. It's just old and worn out. And for a hundred bucks a night, I expected better.

Positives -- It's located uptown in Bisbee, which is good for walking to see some of the the sights. The innkeeper and staff are friendly and pleasant.
Negatives -- It's noisy, uncomfortable, run down, not especially clean, and lacking in amenities. There's also a serious lack of privacy.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank julias21
Thanks for for your feed back . Sorry to hear there was so much noise in town and at the Inn on your stay. On your next stay you must ask for a room on the third floor on the back side . There are 14 rooms which are all different so it would be nice to see what you thought of another one
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 15, 2013

First for about $100 a night, there were very few amenities. The room had almost no room to walk around, took about 10 minutes to get any hot water, the bed linens were musty and felt like they were not washed in a while. There was no soap at all, little light for reading. The best thing I can say, the chairs outside of room were great for people watching on the street below and neat place to read too.

Location was good to the main downtown area, and to a couple of other restaurants up the hill too. Not a place to ever go back to, because it has zero updates in the last 30 years.

Room Tip: Skip this place, unless you really need a room and can negotiate a great price, or you're there...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank thomas b
I hope you talked to our friendly staff about about soap missing from your room. We try very hard to make sure every one who stays at the Inn at Castle Rock feel like they are at home
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
Sierra Suites
Sierra Suites
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista
School House Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to The Inn at Castle Rock? Share your experiences!