The Inn at Castle Rock
Average 3/5
  • Pool
Audrey's Inn(Bisbee)
Great 4.5/5
All reviewsmine shaftcrying shameselling pointbreakfast placecommon areasenglish muffinshotel experienceold weststayed two nightscomfy bedsecond floorcopper queenhistorysymbolcharmpatiooddities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Checked in and checked right out! Room was nothing like the pictures. We like eclectic but this was awful, dingy and dark. Bathroom was creepy. We wouldn't recommend this hotel. Went to the Eldorado Suite instead and got a beautiful three room suite for $20 a nite more. Fabulous. Bis bee is Great.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Lou S
Tiacr B, Owner at The Inn at Castle Rock, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

The staff at The Inn at Castle Rock do a fantastic jod of looking after this beautiful 117 year old building . When you stay in a piece of history you are experiencing a day gone by . Hope you enjoyed Bisbee

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I chose this hotel because of it's location. It is in walking distance to many interesting places on the Canyon. It is old, as most of Bisbee is. It would not get a 5 star rating. But, I enjoyed my stay. The rooms are not fancy. They look like they were furnished from Goodwill. There are veranda's that are great to relax on and watch the world go by. The staff goes above and beyond to help. I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Lizzy51_12

Thanks for your feed back . It is different but thats what makes it so special. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed September 2, 2013

I wanted to like this place. Really, I did. A couple of my family members who had stayed there before warned me away, and I wanted to prove them wrong. I appreciate off-beat places that don't conform to the cookie-cutter standards of chain hotels, so I had high hopes when I checked in.

Chris, the owner, was nice enough to let me into my room early. He was friendly and welcoming, asked me if I needed help with my bags, and told me if I needed anything, to please let them know. When I got to my room, Last Chance, the screen door was closed but the main door was wide open. I found that odd until I walked in and the room reeked of some kind of musty yet overpowering air freshener smell. More on that in a minute.

The room seemed clean enough, although dilapidated. The pink paint was scuffed and peeling in places, the carpet was worn and stained, and the bathroom floor was covered in 70s-era linoleum. The room decor is ticky-tacky Asian, with bamboo and wall fans and junky tsotchkes littering every surface. Less is not more, apparently.

The room was located on the front porch, and there was plenty of furniture outside, so I thought I would take my computer out there and get some work done. Unfortunately, because smoking is not allowed in the rooms, the front porch is where the smokers hang out. It's also right above the street, which, on a busy summer weekend, is crowded and noisy with biker and car traffic. Inside, the noise level was just about as bad. I could hear every word of the conversations going on outside, the pounding and shrieks of the kids running up and down the porch, and the racket of the Harleys cruising the Canyon.

I spent the rest of the day and evening away from the place, and when I came back in late and bone-weary, I was looking forward to a comfy bed and a good night's sleep. As my head hit the pillow, I realized why the room freshener smell was so strong. The pillows and bed smelled faintly of cigarette smoke.

The next morning when I took a shower, I noticed hair on the shower surround. Obviously, it was wiped down with a dirty rag. The shower head was up high and couldn't be adjusted, so unless you're 6'5", you're going to get your hair wet. And that's a problem, because there's no hair dryer in the room.

This place reminds me of going to visit an eccentric old aunt who has lived in the same house for 70 years and filled it up with junk from her travels, but is too old to realize it's not clean and pleasant any more. Chris told me he's owned the place for four years and the renovation process is ongoing, but it's quite obvious he has a long way to go. The place isn't shabby chic, charming, or gracious. It's just old and worn out. And for a hundred bucks a night, I expected better.

Positives -- It's located uptown in Bisbee, which is good for walking to see some of the the sights. The innkeeper and staff are friendly and pleasant.
Negatives -- It's noisy, uncomfortable, run down, not especially clean, and lacking in amenities. There's also a serious lack of privacy.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room away from the street side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank julias21

Thanks for for your feed back . Sorry to hear there was so much noise in town and at the Inn on your stay. On your next stay you must ask for a room on the third floor on the back side . There are 14 rooms which are all different so it would be nice to see what you thought of another one

Reviewed July 15, 2013

First for about $100 a night, there were very few amenities. The room had almost no room to walk around, took about 10 minutes to get any hot water, the bed linens were musty and felt like they were not washed in a while. There was no soap at all, little light for reading. The best thing I can say, the chairs outside of room were great for people watching on the street below and neat place to read too.

Location was good to the main downtown area, and to a couple of other restaurants up the hill too. Not a place to ever go back to, because it has zero updates in the last 30 years.

Room Tip: Skip this place, unless you really need a room and can negotiate a great price, or you're there during a busy time like 1000 Steps of Bisbee
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank thomas b

I hope you talked to our friendly staff about about soap missing from your room. We try very hard to make sure every one who stays at the Inn at Castle Rock feel like they are at home

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The family loved this place. Its ultra quirky, odd hallways, multiple levels and a deep open pit filled with water set it aside as a really neat hotel experience.
Its a hodgepodge of decorating styles, some modern, mostly decades old. The community kitchenette had a rock wall with live vines on it. Its not fancy, but very fun.
The haunted ghost stories also made it more exciting. We would recommend it to families with young (5-13) children, but ask them to go "light" on the ghost stories at check in.

Room Tip: Room 36 has a private balcony which was on the third floor with great breezes.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Tiacr B, Manager at The Inn at Castle Rock, responded to this reviewResponded January 12, 2014

THanks for the feed back . Sounds like you and your family had the experince of staying at a very old Inn . Come back and see us soon