“A 50s blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Shady Dell RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bisbee
Shady Dell RV Park
Green Valley, Arizona
“A 50s blast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

We just got back from Shady Dell and had such fun. If you are expecting the Ritz Carlton, don't go there. If you want to have a fun time, enjoying lovingly restored vintage trailers, then pack up and go to Shady Dell. From the moment we walked on the grounds, we knew we were in for a treat. The owner was dressed in a perfect 50s outfit when she checked us in. We invited another couple to go with us that we knew would get into the spirit of the trip. And they did! They had the Tiki bus with an outside tiki bar that would be our cocktail party location each night. When you walked into the bus, it was a moment of shear joy. Grass skirts hanging everywhere in the vintage bus. It would be easy to picture people heading off to a Grateful Dead concert in it. We had the Boles Aero. We walked in to the music of the 50s on an old radio. There was a vintage record player with a selection of 45s and 78s we could play. Everything is in working order and authentic. How can someone not smile at the coppertone appliances and the percolator coffee pot? We actually used the coffee pot when I figured out how to do it and it made a great cup of coffee. Most trailers don't have showers; Ours did but it was very tiny. There are showers on the grounds that are spotless. In fact, the grounds and the trailers are also very clean. We were the first to arrive that day and wandered the small park. There are various sizes of trailers and even a boat you can stay in; possibly only a dozen trailers in all. As other people started arriving, it was easy to get to know each other quickly. Where else can you stay and have people people wandering around with big smiles, saying: "Do you want to come see my trailer and can I peak into yours?" My husband and I had no issues with our bed and slept just great; however, we're not big people and people coming need to remember these are vintage trailers and space is tight. The grounds are delightful with a gazebo and barbecues. The four of us talked about getting a group next time and taking over all the trailers ourselves. Regardless of whether we rent one trailer or the entire park, we will be back. If you're willing to pack a sense of humor and a sense of adventure, you'll love Shady Dell. If you can't find room to pack either one, then don't go there. Everyone else is having too much fun to let someone spoil the atmosphere!

Room Tip: Do your research online. There is a full description of each trailer so determine which one fits yo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jeanb1876

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

People must have been shorter in the 50's. Husband couldn't fit into the length of the bed. It's an experience worth a night, but not more. Highlight is Lowell, a street away. Very photogenic and best breakfast cafe in Bisbee.

Room Tip: Go for the biggest caravan possible because space is a commodity.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Foof18
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

This place was excellent. The owners were super friendly. The trailers were comfortable and the decor was fantastic. We couldn't have hoped for a better place to stay. We actually stayed in two trailers, both were differently themedand so much fun. The '50's radio station playing on the radio was the perfect addition to the nostalgia created by this establishment.

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank dcarroll633
illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My sister stayed at the Shady Dell a year ago, so after hearing of her unique and enjoyable experience, she recently booked my husband and I a night in the Tiki Bus and while she stayed in the Yacht. We had so much fun scouring through all of the vintage items in both of these vehicles. We played period music on the phonographs while sipping complimentary champagne and playing vintage games and scouring an old yearbook from 1947. We met several other campers who were eager to share the unique finds inside of their accommodations for the night as well. We found the bath houses to be clean and adequate private. If you are looking for a unique camping experience and can live without a pillowtop mattress for the night, this is your place! We look forward to going back and trying out one of the different campers sometime.

Room Tip: There are lots of great restaurants and some very nice antique shops in downtown Bisbee.
Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cpjlaj
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

this place is a one of a kind find. We stayed a total of 8 days. For the 1st 2 nights, we stayed in the Mansion.(my favorite one) It was so cute inside! My favorite part was the kitchen booth. Bed was super comfortable. Loved that everthing was so original to the trailer . There is only a tiny bathroom with a toilet and sink in this trailer, but the building with the showers was kept really clean. For the rest of our stay, we stayed in the Airfloat. My first thought when we entered was 'swanky'. It is Las Vegas themed, and very cool. There were 2 twin sized beds and a full bathroom (tub/shower included). We loved all the dated ammenities! (black and white tv's, record player, old timey radios). The couple that own the place were so friendly and helpful with suggestions on places to go, eat, etc. After staying here, I definitely want a vintage trailer of my own!!!!

Room Tip: any trailer would be a good room, if staying more than 1 night, try different ones!
4 Thank crystalr483
Page Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

As true "groupies" of all vintage trailers, my partner and I anticipated our stay would be a thrill. Enter the 1957 "Airfloat Las Vegas Edition". We chose this trailer as it has a full bath and plenty of space. Not because we expected a lavish Las Vegas gigantic casino resort hotel, but because I personally wanted to experience what these time capsules truly were about when you went full tilt back in the day for some luxury travel-trailering. Wow. We were floored! Jen and Justin haven't only offered a little taste of the past, they've exceeded the mark in offering what is about as perfect as you can get in experiencing true Americana past time. I couldn't contain my grin, savored the wood, appliances, condition of the entire trailer, and this was before venturing back out to start it all over again with seeing what ELSE was neighboring our gold anodized land yacht! Jen allowed us to peek in at a couple of open trailers she was showing to other folks. There's a fine balance to preserving the lodging aspect of this business vs. lookie-loos. It could turn into an all-out museum for passerby which it is NOT designed for. It's way too special for this.

We are in the lodging business. We understand what it entails to make folks sing.

The weather was very cool at night. A space heater worked beautifully. Extra blankets were all that were needed. For even more comfort, ELECTRIC BLANKETS were in the closet. Who does this?? We were well greeted with a very comfortable trailer as the afternoons were warmer. To avoid a stuffy trailer, we entered with the cooler on. My ideal first impression! These are travel trailers, busses, and even BOATS we're talking about. In original condition. Meant to stay that way and preserved to experience exactly as they would have been back when new. We embraced this ideology and it rewarded us PERFECTLY. When you open the vintage refridgerator, load the wine and cheese, turn on the bathroom heater (original and still works!), admire the incredible preservation PLUS touches made to enhance everyone's stay - this goes down as one of the coolest experiences.you could have.

If you expect a huge hotel room, 24hr check in desk, room service and a personal assistant - go somewhere else and do folks like us a favor. We bring our own mini coffee maker everywhere....wake up and smell the coffee at this place - it's unique and we embraced every aspect of it all that we could. Well done!

Room Tip: The trailers are all unique - showers are on site if you want more space (obviously). Keys are left...
6 Thank DiciPageArizona
Mesa, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My overall rating is "3" (as opposed to 4) because there were a few major "downers" that need to be accounted for. First, I will list what is GREAT about The Shady Dell: The 1947 yacht that we stayed in is immaculate. Gorgeously maintained, great set-up and wonderful interior. We played period records all night and WHERE ELSE can one do that? We loved everything about the accomodation itself. The park also boasts several outstanding pieces of retro-kitsch: several vehicles, an old phone booth, many cool trailers - all add great elements to this park. Perhaps the coolest "prop" is Dot's Diner - absolutely immaculate as well. But CLOSED!! This is one of my major downers. We were really looking forward to eating there, and it's heavily featured on the park's website so we expected it to be open for at least a few hours in the morning. MAJOR disappointment. Our other downers: the website states you can check-in anytime after 3pm. I arrived (coincidentally) at 6:30, along with 2 other cars with guests checking in. There was no one there to greet us, leaving many of the guests bewildered about where to park, who to pay, etc. Calls to the owners were unanswered for many hours. I believe all 3 of the groups were put off by that, based on grumblings I overheard. My more minor, but still relevant gripes: It was a cool night, and an extra (non-electric) blanket in the space would have been nice. Finally, you are asked to wash your own dishes, which may or may not be ok (for the price, I would expect I could leave that to the staff) but when we went to use our vintage percolator, it had stale, old coffee still in it! So I not only had to wash MY dishes, I had to wash the dishes of previous guests. NOT cool. This type of double-check should be standard. In summary, I would still recommend staying here and I might even go back. But I think the owners need to step-up their level of service and commitment to their guests and the "little" (or advertised) details.

Room Tip: I didn't get to look into the trailers, but the yacht is an exceptional space.
8 Thank kraypaper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch
The Inn at Castle Rock
The Inn at Castle Rock
#9 of 14 in Bisbee

Been to Shady Dell RV Park? Share your experiences!