“really cool and unique”
Review of Shady Dell RV Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bisbee
Shady Dell RV Park
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
“really cool and unique”
Reviewed April 7, 2013

this place is a one of a kind find. We stayed a total of 8 days. For the 1st 2 nights, we stayed in the Mansion.(my favorite one) It was so cute inside! My favorite part was the kitchen booth. Bed was super comfortable. Loved that everthing was so original to the trailer . There is only a tiny bathroom with a toilet and sink in this trailer, but the building with the showers was kept really clean. For the rest of our stay, we stayed in the Airfloat. My first thought when we entered was 'swanky'. It is Las Vegas themed, and very cool. There were 2 twin sized beds and a full bathroom (tub/shower included). We loved all the dated ammenities! (black and white tv's, record player, old timey radios). The couple that own the place were so friendly and helpful with suggestions on places to go, eat, etc. After staying here, I definitely want a vintage trailer of my own!!!!

Room Tip: any trailer would be a good room, if staying more than 1 night, try different ones!
4 Thank crystalr483

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Page Arizona
Reviewed March 30, 2013

As true "groupies" of all vintage trailers, my partner and I anticipated our stay would be a thrill. Enter the 1957 "Airfloat Las Vegas Edition". We chose this trailer as it has a full bath and plenty of space. Not because we expected a lavish Las Vegas gigantic casino resort hotel, but because I personally wanted to experience what these time capsules truly were about when you went full tilt back in the day for some luxury travel-trailering. Wow. We were floored! Jen and Justin haven't only offered a little taste of the past, they've exceeded the mark in offering what is about as perfect as you can get in experiencing true Americana past time. I couldn't contain my grin, savored the wood, appliances, condition of the entire trailer, and this was before venturing back out to start it all over again with seeing what ELSE was neighboring our gold anodized land yacht! Jen allowed us to peek in at a couple of open trailers she was showing to other folks. There's a fine balance to preserving the lodging aspect of this business vs. lookie-loos. It could turn into an all-out museum for passerby which it is NOT designed for. It's way too special for this.

We are in the lodging business. We understand what it entails to make folks sing.

The weather was very cool at night. A space heater worked beautifully. Extra blankets were all that were needed. For even more comfort, ELECTRIC BLANKETS were in the closet. Who does this?? We were well greeted with a very comfortable trailer as the afternoons were warmer. To avoid a stuffy trailer, we entered with the cooler on. My ideal first impression! These are travel trailers, busses, and even BOATS we're talking about. In original condition. Meant to stay that way and preserved to experience exactly as they would have been back when new. We embraced this ideology and it rewarded us PERFECTLY. When you open the vintage refridgerator, load the wine and cheese, turn on the bathroom heater (original and still works!), admire the incredible preservation PLUS touches made to enhance everyone's stay - this goes down as one of the coolest experiences.you could have.

If you expect a huge hotel room, 24hr check in desk, room service and a personal assistant - go somewhere else and do folks like us a favor. We bring our own mini coffee maker everywhere....wake up and smell the coffee at this place - it's unique and we embraced every aspect of it all that we could. Well done!

Room Tip: The trailers are all unique - showers are on site if you want more space (obviously). Keys are left...
6 Thank DiciPageArizona
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My overall rating is "3" (as opposed to 4) because there were a few major "downers" that need to be accounted for. First, I will list what is GREAT about The Shady Dell: The 1947 yacht that we stayed in is immaculate. Gorgeously maintained, great set-up and wonderful interior. We played period records all night and WHERE ELSE can one do that? We loved everything about the accomodation itself. The park also boasts several outstanding pieces of retro-kitsch: several vehicles, an old phone booth, many cool trailers - all add great elements to this park. Perhaps the coolest "prop" is Dot's Diner - absolutely immaculate as well. But CLOSED!! This is one of my major downers. We were really looking forward to eating there, and it's heavily featured on the park's website so we expected it to be open for at least a few hours in the morning. MAJOR disappointment. Our other downers: the website states you can check-in anytime after 3pm. I arrived (coincidentally) at 6:30, along with 2 other cars with guests checking in. There was no one there to greet us, leaving many of the guests bewildered about where to park, who to pay, etc. Calls to the owners were unanswered for many hours. I believe all 3 of the groups were put off by that, based on grumblings I overheard. My more minor, but still relevant gripes: It was a cool night, and an extra (non-electric) blanket in the space would have been nice. Finally, you are asked to wash your own dishes, which may or may not be ok (for the price, I would expect I could leave that to the staff) but when we went to use our vintage percolator, it had stale, old coffee still in it! So I not only had to wash MY dishes, I had to wash the dishes of previous guests. NOT cool. This type of double-check should be standard. In summary, I would still recommend staying here and I might even go back. But I think the owners need to step-up their level of service and commitment to their guests and the "little" (or advertised) details.

Room Tip: I didn't get to look into the trailers, but the yacht is an exceptional space.
8 Thank kraypaper
Chandler, AZ
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The Shady Dell is a very unique RV Park. They have vintage trailers from the 40's and 50's. The sleek collection of vintage trailers are decorated with items and decor from the year the trailer was built. My wife and I enjoyed a night's stay in a 1947 Chris Craft Yacht that was beautifully restored. We listened to music from 1947 on an old record player. We had breakfast at Dot's Dine - r a 1957 trailer. Yes - the breakfast was terrific. You gotta see this place and take that trip down memory lane !!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bob W
Prescott Valley, Arizona
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Jen made us feel very welcome. We stayed in "The Mansion" trailer. Felt like we were in an old episode of "I Love Lucy". Nicely restored 1951 trailer. Had much fun learning about the history of this place and the town of Bisbee, AZ. It was so neat to be thrown back in time with all of the period pieces of memorabilia in the trailer. Read vintage Life magazines, listened to vintage music, watched vintage TV and played vintage games (even tried to raise some spirits with the Ouija board)! We also walked the old cemetary next door. We only wished that the vintage on-site diner was open for a few hours each day for simple burgers, dogs, fries and shakes. That would be the icing on the cake. This RV park is a couple of miles from downtown Bisbee and you must drive there for later meals. However it is within walking distance of the Bisbee Breakfast Club for an outstanding breakfast in the morning. We plan to head back soon for another stay.

Room Tip: We liked The Mansion cause it is on a corner spot with a small yard.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank R T
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 26, 2012

Stayed in the Tiki bus for one fun night, which was probably just the right amount of time. The Shady Dell (and the Tiki bus) is super cute. I appreciate the effort put in to create this special little place, with period furnishings, vintage cars and retro accoutrements making the Shady Dell as close to the 1950's as possible. The trailers are maintained really well, as is the rest of the park. The beds in the bus itself aren't really comfortable, and the lighting within the RV park made it difficult to sleep. Not a big problem for one night, but for longer stays this might become a deal breaker for others. I was disappointed that the owners were never around - I think one of the greatest parts of travelling in the US is the hospitality you receive. It's a pity I can't extend that sentiment to the owners of the Shady Dell, because they were never there. The self check-in/check-out procedure is clear and reasonable, I just feel the Shady Dell has sacrificed the 'personal touch' for the sake of convenience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jo_au
grass valley, ca
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Everything about our visit to the Shady Dell in Bisbee, AZ was great. We stayed in #9, the 1957 Airfloat trailer, a premium trailer of the times and still is. When we stepped into the Airfloat, great old music was playing on the vintage radio, to set the mood for the whole weekend. The Back-to-the-50's feeling is so relaxing and so fun. The owners, a young couple, are delightful. They love vintage - vintage trailers, vintage cars, vintage clothes, the works. The town of Bisbee was charming, the weather mid-September was perfect, the ice cream in a shop across from the Copper Queen Hotel (which we also enjoyed) was the best in a long time, the Bisbee Breakfast Club was more than good, the shops/restaurants/breweries/the antique stores, the local antique consignment shop, and if we'd had more time the outdoor Blues Concert, all made for a totally fun time. Go to the Shady Dell website (www.theshadydell.com) to view each trailer, in and out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank canadatripper2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
Landmark Lookout Lodge
Landmark Lookout Lodge
#3 of 9 in Tombstone

Been to Shady Dell RV Park? Share your experiences!