“Pleasant Experience - Not!”

School House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 21, 2009

I accompanied my new comers group to the School House Inn B&B for our annual "over night get-away". We had all been excited about the uniqueness of the establishment. and looked forward to relaxing and spending time together. The owner gave us an interesting short tour of the B&B and we were pleased with the cozy rooms. We were given only one key for each room and the front door, even though there were three or four of us in each room. We were suprised that ice or cold water was not offered or even available at any time. We had to ask twice for the third set of bath towels and my room mate finally had to find the owner and get them herself. At breakfast, which is served between 8 and 9 AM, we were asked by the owner to make it quick because the B&B was fully booked and he needed our group of 16 out of the dining area (the only area in the B&B larger enough for our large group to gather) so he could accomodate the remaining guests for their breakfast! He was removing our plates and trying to reset tables while the majority of our group was still eating. No second cup of coffee for us! We gathered our bags and left very soon after that, but not before another member of our group was "scolded" for knocking on the front door - she did not happen to be the person in possesion of the key at that moment. She was curtly told to "quit knocking and go around to the side door"! Needless to say, there is not much chance of any of our group ever giving our business to the School House Inn B&B again. The accomodations were OK, but the hospitality was definately lacking. I certainly would not reccomend this B&B to anyone I know - there are lots of other places to stay in the delighful town of Bisbee!

• Stayed: March 2009
3  Thank patriciav12

Reviewed March 13, 2009

We stayed at this inn a year ago and decided to return given that we had enjoyed our stay the first time. The room was still large and the price reasonable, but we had a rather unpleasant experience with the owner this time which will prevent us from ever returning again. After dinner in town, we retired to the t.v. room, and made ourselves a cup of tea with the materials provided for guests. After a long drive that day from Mexico, I admit that I was quite tired and did not notice a sign indicating that the green mugs were to be used for this purpose, and accidentally used a white mug (set aside for breakfast use). When the owner came down, he went off on us for using the wrong mugs, so I offered to wash the mugs that we had used. He then did this weird thing with his finger in the middle of his cheek, saying “And we think we’re pretty cute, don’t we”. Well, at 58 years of age, my mother might be able to talk to me this way, but not the proprietor of an inn that is supposed to be hospitable. In short, it ruined our evening and we will now choose another property to stay at in Bisbee. To add insult to injury, when I went to return the washed mugs (which I washed in the bathroom and not the kitchen which had major ‘not for guests’ signs all around), he had covered the white mugs with a cloth and a major sign that said ‘For breakfast use only’. Now I could understand if there was a shortage of these mugs, but there must have been at least 20 set out, with only 8 total guests staying the night. Next visit, we’ll look for a kinder and more gentle approach elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank Fridaysmom
Reviewed January 2, 2009

What a lovely place! The school house inn was a real school a long time ago and the owners, John and Paula, decorated with a lot of charm and care of every details. The inn has 9 rooms, each has a different name and different decorations. We stayed in the "art room", with several painting and art books. You have also a composition book to write your comments. Do not expect a TV or a phone in your room. You can enjoy a TV in the living room downstairs. In the morning, while John and Paula prepare a cooked breakfast you can talk with the other guests of the B&B.
A pleasant surprise I strongly recommend.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Hiris
Reviewed October 31, 2008

I booked my stay at the School House Inn B&B on a whim. I was in much need of a quiet and peaceful get-away. I called the property manager John on a Wednesday morning and he was able to accommodate me with a room for Thursday night. Upon arriving at the Bed and Breakfast I was greeted with much enthusiasm by Paula and John. They gave me a quick tour of the property. This included the cozy and spacious outside patio, the quaint living/dinning area, and of course the room in which I would be staying, the "Art Room".

Each room is appropriately named after a class room and is decorated with fascinating antiques that make you feel as if you are stepping back in time. I spent the first few minutes in the room looming over the treasures, imaging the thought and care that went into selecting each of the items for the room. The room was clean and tidy, the linens were fresh, and the bathroom was impeccably clean.

Later that evening after dinner, I went to the outside patio, read my book and listened to the birds. When it became chilly, I went inside watched some TV before retiring to bed. Paula and John were very attentive to all my needs. This included the next morning when breakfast was to be served. I told Paula that I could not eggs and she made me oatmeal and fruit.

I felt like this quick little trip was just what I needed to rejuvenate my soul. It is not very often that you find B&B where the owners put that much pride and care into their operation. I truly felt that they wanted me to have an amazing B&B experience and they went to great lengths to assure that I did! I highly recommend the School House Inn B&B!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed October 26, 2008

My hubby and I were in town last weekend for the 1000 Stair Climb. After reading many glowing reviews of this B&B, we booked a room for 3 nights.

The reservation process was very easy. We booked online, and then a few minutes later, John, who owns the B&B along with his wife, called to confirm our reservation. We booked several months ahead of time since we heard the Climb was so popular, and there was no problem doing that.

Upon checking in, John took us on a short tour of the place and shared some of the history of the building, which was quite interesting. We then went to our room, the Writing Room.

The room was very large. If you like pink, feminine, lacy, and stuffed animals, this is the room for you. My hubby and I like none of the above, unfortunately, nor did we care for green carpet with pink walls. It was a bit like visiting Grandma's house. Not a big deal, though, since we were only staying a few days.

We then checked out the bathroom. While the room was very large, the bathroom was very small. There was room for only one person at a time. There was also a big lack of surface area for your toiletries since there was only a pedestal sink, a toilet, and a shower/tub in the room. Also, there was only one outlet in the bathroom, which may bother some other people who need several hair appliances at a time. The bathroom was also in need of some TLC. There were several spots on the ceiling that were bubbling/cracking/peeling.

Our biggest problem with the room, however, wasn't the bathroom. It was the dust that was everywhere. The bathroom light fixture and the room's ceiling fan were coated in it. I went around the room and finger tested all the little tables. My finger came away dusty from all of them. The lacy curtains looked like they used to be white and hadn't been washed in quite some time. Suffice it to say that I did plenty of sneezing while staying there. I even had to ask John for an extra box of tissues.

For breakfast, I was expecting something akin to the spread Cracker Barrel puts out based upon the reviews I read here. However, the first day we were there we ended up eating oatmeal and half an English muffin. Since we were doing the Stair Climb that day, I did appreciate the light option. However, brown sugar was put on the English muffin. I think there's enough sugar in everyday foods as it is, I don't want any added, and I wasn't asked my preference. The next day was two small cinnamon pancakes with a cup of blueberries. The pancakes were good, but I could have done with a larger serving. (I love breakfast foods and am picky about dinner foods, so I love to eat a huge breakfast.) Our third and final breakfast there was fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, and a muffin. My hubby is allergic to eggs, so he ended up eating oatmeal again. I think the owners should ask about food allergies when you book your reservation so they can plan breakfasts accordingly.

The patio was fantastic-large, green, and melodic with the fountain merrily running. The wildlife was also great. Javelinas were spotted our first night there, and a bobcat was seen early on our third day there. The B&B was also very quiet, with the exception of creaky floors and squeaky doors. If you are an early riser, you should have no problem with that.

I would have appreciated an ice machine since we brought several gallons of water with us to drink, which we ended up drinking warm the whole weekend. Also, there are no TVs in the rooms. You can watch it in the living room area, but there are only public stations available. I found that out when I tried to watch a cable show on Sunday night. So make sure to set your VCR or TiVo at home!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ironeagle48162
Reviewed August 6, 2008

My fiance' and I needed a little R and R after a hot and busy summer in Tucson. We had heard wonderful things about this bed and breakfast. We stayed in the Music Room for 2 nights. It was so wonderful, relaxing and QUIET!!! I was a little nervous because there is no televsion in the rooms and that is the first thing my fiance' grabs, the remote, but to my delight, he was to occupied with the surroundings that the televsion wasn't even missed. There was so much to look at and so much to do, plus there is a television room downstairs if you like. The town of Bisbee is so amazing, that after walking around all day, all you want to do is relax. We opened the windows and the crisp breeze and sound of rain put is right to sleep. We awoke the next morning and devoured our scrumptious breakfast of French Toast with bananas and walnuts on top!! YUMMY!! It was the perfect getaway and we will surely be back. Our hosts were wonderful and personable, treating us like guests in their house. Definately will recommend this to all our friends!!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2008

As far as we are concerned, there is no better place to stay in Bisbee than the School House Inn. It's located close (about a mile) to the Bisbee historic district shopping, restaurants and attractions, yet far enough away to enjoy peace and quiet, which is exactly what we were looking for. This was our first experience staying at a bed & breakfast and we definitely chose wisely. Whenever we go to Bisbee again, we won't stay anywhere else. We felt right at home from the minute we walked in the door. The rooms are very nicely decorated and quite comfortable and the breakfasts are yummy. The owners, John & Paula, are wonderful hosts. We highly recommend the School House Inn.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AZtravelers48
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
Tombstone Monument Ranch
Tombstone Monument Ranch
#2 of 9 in Tombstone
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch

Been to School House Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!