“Anniversary Road Trip”

School House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We were greeted by John when we arrived and he told us the story of how he acquired this historical School House. I am so pleased he took the time to show us the town map and gave us some history on the town of Bisbee since this was my first visit to the quaint and quiet town. He also provided us with info on places to go for dinner in town. He showed us around the property and then up to our room. I really enjoyed staying here. My husband and I were only staying for the night and we had to leave very early in the morning and didn't have the opportunity to have breakfast at the Inn. I loved how big the rooms were, comfy beds and clean rooms. No TV in the rooms, there is one on the main floor so you can watch movies. Also, no hair dryer in our room and I didn't pack one. Not a big deal, pony tails work :) No AC but it was pretty cool that night even in July due to the drizzle rain. Very cozy balconies out side the hall rooms so you can enjoy the cool evenings. Next time we we stay a day or two longer. BTW I had a groupon and this is how we came across this little treasure. I am so glad we did!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in the History room
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jandrews3

Reviewed July 19, 2014

We were graciously greeted by John and Paula when we arrived at 3pm for our 2 day stay at the School house Inn. We were so pleased with the open spacious rooms, the wonderful breakfasts, and the great entertainment John provided us on our last morning at their Inn with his guitar and some great old songs from the past. I strongly recommend this Inn to anyone needing a nice place to stay at Bisbee, Arizona.

Our stay was beyond our expectations!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 6, 2014

If you need to get away from the daily hustle and bustle of city life, come down to the School House Inn in old Bisbee, AZ. The rooms are quaint, quiet, and the service by John and Paula (the owners) is impeccable. The decor is fantastic and the breakfast in the morning (that is included in the price of the room) is 5 star. My whole experience was utterly fantastic! They make you feel right at home from the first time you contact them and the prices for the rooms are very reasonable. Seriously, come on down!! It is worth it and I am a very picky person :-)

Room Tip: I stayed in the principals office room, but all of the rooms are fantastic. Each has it's own th...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2014

My partner and I had 2 nights scheduled at this establishment and we were really looking forward to it. When we arrived (4:20pm) we read the sign that says to knock loudly, so we did and to the door came John (owner). John promptly announced that we were not getting checked in until he was finished giving us his rehearsed tour of the place. John seemed to get aggraveated with me when I asked to use the restroom. That should have been our first clue - his gruff, abrupt demeanor with us immediately put a funk on the beginning of our stay. After I got out of the restroom- John had to run in there for whatever reason and then continued on to escorting us upstairs for the checkin process.
After seeing our room (Art Room) we found it to be very clean-yet a bit stuffy. We knew there was no AC yet the fans did little to relieve the warmness of the room. We decided to sit out on the balcony and watch as the sunset and night crept in. We had been out there alone for about 3 hours or so and now it was about 8:30pm. John opens up the screen door and loudly says "What the heck- you two are still out here ?" He talked in a loud gruff manner and proceeded to tell us that we needed to be quiet and that it was critical ! Mind you...it was only my Partner and I having conversation, plus there was no occupants staying in the room beside the patio. After he left- we felt like we had been reprimanded for something that we did not do- and NOW the idiot ruined our peaceful spot. Once again...here comes John out. This time he swings open the patio screen door and announces that he is turning off the lights for whatever reason. He was such a poor poor host. I had to speak up this time and tell him how rude he was, badgering us for no known reasons and how we have paid for this getaway and now he has ruined night #1.
Immediately he apologized-with no sincerity...you could just tell. He kept saying "I'm sorry" and I said to him.."No you are not". He turned away and stomped off like a little mad man. Shortly after that out comes his wife Paula (who seemed like a sweet lady) and she tried to smooth things over, but it was too late.
Next morning after a warm & restless sleep, my Partner and I packed up and left. We even skipped the breakfast there because the energy of the place was funky to us now. We forfeited night #2 - oh well we had a Groupon.

I would not recommend this place to anybody that is vibrant & lively and likes to stay up past 9:00pm.
Or perhaps John does not do well with same sex couples.

BEWARE !!.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank cindylee2014
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Let me start by saying that this was our first time in Bisbee, so we have little to compare this property to. However, based on our experience in other properties I am comfortable with my rating and comments.

Upon arrival, John let us in and gave us our room keys. He requested and I agreed to pay cash, which I believe gave me somewhat of a discount. No real complaints there as the price was reasonable.

We walked up the stairs to our room which was spacious and furnished with numerous school related items, just as the balance of the house. However, there were some non-school related items which seemed a bit odd to us. While the room was spacious, the bathroom was notable small and the tub a bit "worn".

Worn is a theme here, as there seems to be many items and areas in need of attending to. Furnishings are old and could use replacing, and due to the overwhelming number of nick knacks that have been there a while, they could use a little dusting. Large places and facilities as old as this need a great deal of care and and attention and despite John and Paula's obvious hard work, they could use some help. The grounds themselves were nice but shared in this need of attention sentiment.

The bed was comfortable and the room fairly quiet. No AC, so the windows had to remain open. John noted that there was a floor fan in the closet that we could put in the window if we needed. However, the ceiling fan seemed to work well enough.

Breakfast consisted of a little fruit, 1/2 English muffin, a blue berry muffin and two baked eggs. Pleasant, if a little strange. Certainly not really note worthy.

We did notice that there was no water left in the rooms, which is AZ is somewhat odd. There are also notes placed in the kitchen and at the top of the stairs on a soda machine that bottled water was available for purchase. This should be provided and I would say that a guest staying here would do themselves a good thing by going to the Circle K down the street and buying bottles as they are no doubt cheaper.

I would not discourage anyone from staying, but have to believe that there are better in Bisbee. Even at a discounted rate.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MRMED8R
Reviewed June 8, 2014

My husband, toodler and I stayed in the Nurse's Room. It was a good size for the three of us. They have lots of antic toys, books, etc., we were very nervous about our curious toodler but Paula and John went out of their way to make us feel welcome. Paula prepared the breakfast, which was delicious and healthy. We would love to come back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank patriciaa2012
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We stayed one night in the Principals Office. The area is quiet, the rooms are great with very nice décor. The breakfast was very nice and we enjoyed the outdoor patio. John and his wife are wonderful and we enjoyed talking with them. Its close to downtown with plenty of parking. We explored the other rooms and we cant wait to come back and try them all. Its a great place to stay, you will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Any room you choose you will be happy with.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rich050
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Bisbee Grand Hotel
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
Landmark Lookout Lodge
Landmark Lookout Lodge
#3 of 9 in Tombstone

Been to School House Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!