“Good Choice in Bisbee”

School House Inn Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 13 Bisbee B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 17, 2012

This is a very nice B+B to spend a few days at in Bisbee. The rooms are large with 10 or 12 foot ceilings, the food is good, the owners work hard to keep you happy and we found the other guests pleasant company. The public areas, sitting, dinning, patio were very comfortable and spacious. Maybe if I were there a week I would have gotten tired of all the teddy bears and such, but what would you find to do in Bisbee for a week?
There was a large parking lot, which is unusual in Bisbee, but you are a short drive or a long walk from the downtown tourist area.
The only real downside we noticed is that they do not have air conditioning. The fans worked OK in mid-June when the humidity is low and the 90 something midday heat cools to 60 something by midnight. In July or August, when the humidity goes up and nights are warmer it could be less comfortable....

Room Tip: A front corner room might have the best cross ventilation in summer.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for School House Inn Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed March 18, 2012

We could not ask for more from a bed and breakfast. All the rooms are verry charming. We picked the Art Room. My wife is a art teacher and this room was very fitting. The staff were verry energetic and helpfull. The breakfast was delicious and tasty.We would definetly stay there again on our next trip to Bisbee. A verry memerable experience. Thank you so much for a very memerable time.
Sincerely, David Kaiser

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David K
Reviewed March 17, 2012

My husband and I struck out for a weekend jaunt with no particular destination in mind and no reservations for accommodations. It was a "happy accident" that we scored the last room at the School House Inn--especially given that it was St. Patrick's Day weekend. John was so warm and friendly and freely shared the history of the inn. The inn is a nice walk from Bisbee and its shops, galleries and restaurants. Breakfast was delightful and it was fun to mingle with the other guests. It was definitely a walk down memory lane to see the former classrooms, student photographs and artwork. We stayed in the Nurse's office which was small but perfectly adequate for one night. For longer stays, try to book a larger room.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BVS2012
Reviewed March 5, 2012

My stay at the School House Inn was nothing short of a great stay. I travel a great deal so I like to find B&B's that are charming and friendly. The host was there for my every need and always with a smile. The School House Inn was very clean which is important to me above all. I reconmend this inn to anyone who konws the high standard of what a B&B should be.

Room Tip: The music room is where I slept. You wake up happy and rested. I like this room.
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank George1379
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The theme setting is good but old tired couchs and chairs in the dining area and rooms should be upgraded. Also the carpets in the rooms should not be as oild as the building. Breakfast was okay but a tray asking for tips if you enjoyed it; is tacky. John insisting on total quiet after 8:30pm?? Okay stay but we wouldn't hurry back

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Carolynn111
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Gary from Az

In an age of coffe makers, TV's, and other distractions in our modern age, we are in desparate need of intervention of such things. The schoolhouse Bed and Breakfast takes you on a journey to times we remember visiting Grandmas house. Each room is themed with a school subject and filled with real antiques from a long ago era. 12 foot high ceilings make you feel your'e in a cathedral of beauty. They take pride in their rooms and as such, have them open for display before the nights guests arrive. I have placed my photos at the following address:

Most rooms have the bedroom, then a sitting/reading room and makes for a wonderful, reflective mood.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2012

Three of us, friends.. decided to stay two nights at the schoolhouse inn. Its charming in content, well appointed, and good location. The breakfast was adequate, not really gourmet as stated, had a quiche, fruit, muffin and english half muffin with cinnamon on it. Long stair case up to rooms, all were cutely decorated. given a mandatory tour by the owner, John, and introduced to Paula, we learned a lot of the history of the building and its previous owners.
I have just a few suggestions to improve. Snacks out for guests would have been nice, the only food provided was breakfast. They have a bar for tea,coffee, cocoa avaliable, but fresh muffins, fruits etc would have been a nice touch, as we have seen in all of the B&Bs I have stayed in over the years. It was also on the dusty side, so many artifacts, afghans, cushions, wall hangings etc. They run their business alone, which is a mistake I feel, as that large of a building could use at least 2 others to do routine cleaning. The host John, was not that friendly and courteous. He was edgy with one of our ladies, and also over heard him scolding another potential guest, raised his voice and told him to stop talking he still had a lot to show him, it sounded abrupt and rude. When one of our ladies was served the egg quiche, (which was very good) she told him she couldnt eat it, as she doesn't eat eggs, he 'nicely' snapped at her and said, "it would have been nice to be told this ahead of time" and took her plate away. It could have been handled in a more tactful manner, the snappish demeanor seemed prevalent in his dealings throughout. All in all, the building is pretty, but I don't think I would ever go back again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank looking4spring04
drjohn60, General Manager at School House Inn Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2012

I have a tendency to joke around with guests I have known previously and because this is my home and not a motel/hotel, I express a somewhat dry humor. The person who made comments was within ear shot and overheard me, not aware that I knew the other guests. So I will call this "OOPS, I blew it this time!". I most certainly will pay better attention to those in my attendance. I could easily get a slip to the Principal's Office for this.
Also, we have been pounded with high wind dust storms but Paula and I have cleared away the
settling dust. We firmly believe in a completely sanitized school building. Gotta go, I just heard the tardy bell!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
Copper Queen Hotel
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista
Tombstone Monument Ranch
Tombstone Monument Ranch
#2 of 9 in Tombstone

Been to School House Inn Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!