All reviews copper queen historic hotel spirit room cafe restaurant roosevelt room french dip live music in the bar couple drinks second floor john wayne room ghost tour rooms are small claw tub in town mining history very nice place to stay ice machine
Reviewed November 1, 2017

My boyfriend and I stayed at the cooper queen for its reputation for being haunted. We stayed in a room on the second floor. It was well appointed for an old hotel. The wallpaper was period. If you are looking for a modern hotel this is NOT it. If you want history you have come to the right place. Don't be surprised it comes with built in musty smell. So bring your air freshener if you are sensitive. We did not see any ghosts but there was a loud bump in the night that emanated from under the bed. But let me go back to before bed. We were with another couple and so three of us were exploring while the forth decided to go to bed earlier. After our exploration which included sitting by a nice pool, but too cold to go in, I went back to my room and could not get in. This being a historic hotel they still use regular keys. No matter which way I turned it the door would not opened. I proceeded to bang on the door to let my boyfriend know I could not get in. When he finally answered the door I found out there was a second dead bolt with no key that was locked. My boyfriend SWEARS he did not lock it. HMMMM!! was this the action of a ghost?? Or just an extremely drunk boyfriend? We will never know.
The rooms were clean, shower was ok, no bars of soap only dispensers. Parking in off site so make sure and ask where it is safe to park
The only disappointment was their restaurant was STILL not open so we had to get dinner and breakfast elsewhere. But the bar the night before was great! The drinks were good and the price was right. I would recommend staying here if you are looking for a historic stay.

Room tip: be prepared for noisy old air conditioners in the windows
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 27, 2017

I have stayed at the Copper Queen twice. First time in the Roosevelt room which is reportedly haunted. After all this is one of the reasons to stay here. I can vouch that we did experience so unusual rocking chair action in the early morning hours. The cafe/restaurant was open when we visited the first time about 2 years ago and the prime rib was excellent. Only drawback was no baked potato only fries. Just stayed there again 2 weeks ago and disappointed that the cafe/restaurant was closed with no expected time for re opening. Staff could be a little more pleasant. Nice bar very casual.

Room tip: Rooms on street side have nice view but a little loud if bar is busy.
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 23, 2017

First of all, let me start with mentioning how rude the front desk staff is. They basically did not want to give you the time of day. If you walked in off the street and walked up the stairs, or went up the elevator, they looked at you suspiciously. No friendliness at all. Check in was like being in line for the soup Nazi on Seinfeld. They only friendly and kind person I met in that entire hotel was the hostess to the new restaurant, "1902 The Spirit Room". Kudos to you young lady. Being in the travel industry myself, I know how far a little kindness goes.

There is no place to add the new restaurant, as we went on their soft opening night 10/20/2017. I don't even know the official name. I think it's called the Spirit Room. The dishes were so beautiful, the decorations amazing. Reminded me of the Titanic. I had Chicken and my husband the shrimp. We had a wedge salad. All portions were small, and the prices high, but the experience was worth it. I was a bit disturbed that the server took the beautiful crystal candle off our table, but left it on everyone else's table. It was my husbands birthday. Other than that, it was beautiful. The food was flavorless. Had to ask for salt and pepper. Very bland. Loved the leaded crystal glasses though.

The Bar: Catered to the 40-50 year olds. Loved it. Dave was the bar tender. Nice guy. Serious, and very busy. Very pleasant music. Band in their 40s-50s playing something like folk with violin, guitar and drums. Enjoyed it. Drinks on special seemed watered down. Full price drinks were strong.

Hotel Room: Because we booked last minute, and the 1000 step race was on that weekend, we got the smallest room in the hotel. Must have been 10 x 12. Tiny bathroom, tiny toilet. My husband ran into the toilet in the middle of the night because it was less than a foot away from the door. Nice wallpaper. Time period friendly. Lots of dust under the bed, broken things. This room is off by itself down a little hall. Kind of creepy. Was it once the maids room? A utility closet? A air conditioning blocked the view. Had to stand on chair to peek through a crack in the window to see the sunrise. The air conditioning unit was very loud and woke us up every time it turned on. Bed was a double. Not too much room but fairly comfortable. Headboard was completely disconnected.

The shower had a very large waterfall type shower head. You get all excited about it, and find out only a few of the streams work, and you get one large dribble on your head. If you wanted to rinse soap out, fhad to give it an hour.

Nice looking pool. Ice cold in October. Would be nice in the summer.

The coffee and muffins in the morning were a nice touch. The muffins were the kind you buy in a pre proccessed bags, like at walmart. Homemade would be a nice touch.

We told many locals around town about our room, and they looked at us funny and asked, "Seen any ghosts?" We laughed. I am a paranormal investigator, but did not do any investigating on this weekend. My husband hates it. I did have a man whisper "Karen" in my ear at 3 AM, and my husband said that a dog that sounded like a pit bull barked in his ear around the same time. I got my SB7 out while my husband was in the shower and got a "Mornin' " from a nice sounding lady spirit. We had a pretty good time here. I would come back, but get a nicer room. Book a lot further out.

Last note: WIFI If you care anything about it, don't book this hotel. Works 1% of the time. It's free for a reason. It just does not work. No free wifi anywhere in Bisbee. No body plays on their phones. Just leave them home. Even your carriers wifi does not work. Too many hills and brick buildings.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank azis4me
Helen L, Owner at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We just purchased the property in 2017 and are in the process of renovating and improving it to bring it back to its former glory. Our first major renovation was the dining room and kitchen. I’m glad you appreciated all the hard work and loving care we took in creating a period correct dining room. Let me assure you we have received excellent reviews on our food thus far and are continuing to make minor improvements on it so the feedback is greatly appreciated!! This is why we choose the soft opening. We aim to please the most discriminating palates and we are lucky to have such a wonderful kitchen staff creating our dishes. Some of our tables were smaller upon the initial opening which is why your candle may have been removed. We have since replaced the smaller tables with larger ones that should be able to accommodate room for the candle unless you order one of our larger appetizers or menu items that can take up quite a bit of space.

During our soft opening, we are only open for dinner, but will soon be adding lunch and breakfast and will be working on making some homemade muffins as well.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the front desk staff. Please contact us for a description of this employee with regards to their manner. We are always looking to make sure every guest is made to feel welcome.

I’m so pleased that you intend on coming back and be assured that there are more good things in store for this beautiful old hotel that we love so much. We are working hard to make our historic antique hotel shine.

Reviewed October 15, 2017

The Copper Queen hotel is obviously a historical hotel and we expected it to look like an older hotel would look. Our room was clean and nice, and my only complaint was that we were above the bar, in a corner room, and the music of the bar was a little loud for our taste. (But it stopped promptly at 10:00 PM!) Plus there was a VERY bright porch light next door to us - but that's not the hotel's fault. The dining room was being remodeled, so there was no food service, but the coffee service the hotel offers in the morning on the 2nd fllor was very nice.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

We arrived late at night. Our room smelled sickly stinky like it hadn’t been opened up in 100 years. We specifically requested a room with no ghost, but after we regained our composure from the overwhelming aroma we saw a ghost standing on the bed! It was a non refundable room, but were more than happy to make a quick exit and drive to a non haunted hotel 30 minutes away.

Trip type: Traveled with family