“I LOVE Rena, the Rotweiler desk cleark!!!!”
Review of Copper Queen Hotel

Copper Queen Hotel
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Bisbee
Michigan
“I LOVE Rena, the Rotweiler desk cleark!!!!”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

The rate is a bit pricey but the history and the townspeople made it worth while.

My most favorite part of the trip was visiting with Rena, the Rotweiler desk clerk each morning. The worst part of travel for me is being away from my fury family so the time I got to visit with Rena helped to fill the void. She is amazingly gentle and well behaved. I wish every hotel had a desk clerk like her!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
arizona
Reviewed January 9, 2010

The Copper Queen Hotel is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! My family and I had a fantastic dinner, the meal was cooked at perfection and tasted wonderfully, my children loved the food as well, they said it was very yummy.

I would also like to add that the service was EXCELLENT, everyone was so helpful and wonderful! We will definitely be goin back not only for dinner but for a weekend get away i can't wait!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Arizona
Reviewed January 2, 2010

We had dinner at The Winchester restaurant attached to the Copper Queen Hotel. Part of my husband's chicken was not cooked. He sent it back to the kitchen and asked for something else. No one came to apologize or say anything for possibly getting him sick. We were charged full price for the meal. When we asked about it, the server came back offering to take $10 off the $40 plate and take away his gratuity. We were with friends so didn't want to argue it and make a big fuss, but were completely disappointed that the chicken was served raw, no one said anything about it, and we were still charged for the meal. Not to mention, we came home to realize the restaurant charged our credit card twice for two different amounts and neither one the amount we signed for. Service was ok, but the food was not worth $40 a plate on New Year's and the management staff doesn't know what customer service is.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank kwitkop
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Bisbee has long been a favorite R&R spot for me, but always day trips -- this was my first overnight experience. I researched where to stay because we wanted a quirky yet elegant venue. I initially looked at several B&B's but was put off by the often required 2 night stay and the high room pricing.

From the very beginning, even in making the reservations, the staff at the Copper Queen was highly accommodating. The reservations clerk talked to me about the purpose of our trip, which was relaxation, and made several recommendations to make our stay more enjoyable.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by friendly staff and our check-in was quick. We were given coupons for 99 cent glasses of house wine with dinner. We were already agog at the unexpected delight of the hotel still being in full holiday decor. We decided to skip the elevator and walk to our 3rd floor room, which availed us the sight of the cozily lit, inviting landings on each floor with their comfortable but vintage-looking furniture, mantled fireplaces, and elegant holiday decorations.

Our room was also a delight -- the bathroom was as large as the bedroom, appointed with clawfoot tub. The Copper Queen has done a lot of renovating over the years, for the comfort of their guests, and have done an incredible job of replacing everything with vintage-looking yet modern functioning fixtures. This gives the impression of authentic Victorian elegance but much cleaner and without that dusty, funky feeling some historic hotels have. The queen bed was quite comfortable - firm but not hard. Our room did not afford much of an outdoor view, but that wasn't terribly necessary when just a few steps out into the common areas or onto the balcony had all the view we could ask for.

We ate a sumptuous late lunch at nearby Santiago's because the hotel dining room had closed at 2. So we skipped the dinner hour, and after a quick nap and meeting a friend at the nearby Bisbee Coffee Co., we hit the Copper Queen's saloon around 9. They have great imports on tap, microbrews in bottles, as well as the standard fare. Bartender Karen was friendly, informative and efficient. We asked about Dave's Electric beers that we saw on tap, and she shared their colorful Arizona history. Dave's Electric IPA was excellent. I don't drink often and rarely, rarely drink hard liquor, but since we weren't going anywhere else, I decided to get a bit tipsy. I get too full on beer before I feel anything, so I explained my plight to Karen who recommended and created something new for me -- a Pineapple Upside Down Cake, with vanilla vodka, pineapple juice, and a splash of cherry. It was refreshing, delicious, and did the trick. The music was wonderful -- perfectly to our taste -- some big band era and eclectic strings.

The next morning I tried out the dining room. I had forgotten my glasses, so again, the staff was very accommodating in describing various dishes. I chose the Winchester's breakfast -- eggs scrambled with sausage, a fresh and tasty medium salsa, hashed browns, and a tortilla. The dining room was cheery, sunny, spacious, with tasteful floral tablecloths. I got a kick out of the lighting, two rows of the Victorian bowl/type chandeliers, and one row of deer antler chandeliers continuing the Western/Victorian theme. Coffee was complementary, and they allowed me to take a cup up to my partner who preferred the comfortable bed, morning news, coffee, and a leisurely shower to breakfast.

We got lots of smiles from the staff. Not the fake "don't you see how great our hospitality is" smiles, but genuine smiles that said, "we like working here and we're happy to serve you."

Heading up the street after check out and passing several small hotels and lodging venues, I couldn't help commenting to my partner, "It might be fun to try out some of these others, but I'm afraid we've spoiled ourselves by staying at the best first." We will definitely make the Copper Queen a regular venue for our weekend getaways.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Arizona
Reviewed December 22, 2009

Felt welcome the minute we entered hotel. Ambiance excellent. Cleanliness tops for older hotel. Restaurant perfect in every way. Owners and staff anxious to offer all services. We will return.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
California
Reviewed December 6, 2009

I grew up in Bisbee and went back to visit the friendly town I was used to. Not at the Copper Queen!
We ate there, before the food was great. Not anymore! I ordered a salad. It was tiny, 2 wedges of tomatoes and the lettuce tasted and smelled like fish (I didn't eat it ) the dressing came out of a bottle. My husband ordered beef ribs, they were dry, old, tough and tasteless. My cousin ordered trout, it was so salty it made him so sick, he had the runs all night!!
My othe cousin had a hamburger. Thought she couldn't go wrong with that! Wrong!!!
Not only was it pricey but horrible! We will never go there again! We will never reccommend it to anyone either. I complained to the waiter but he did nothing. I asked to talk to the owner. She in so many words told us if we didn't like it to go somewhere else.
She sure took the money though!
Later that evening my husband was worried because I hadn't eaten, so we walked downtown. Yep, we found the best 5 star restaurant!! The Bisbee Grill" it is the best!!
I had the best mediterianian salad. Tasted so good and the waiter was so sweet, I tipped him what my dinner was worth. I also told him about our adventure at the Copper Queen. Such a classy gentleman, he apologized for them! It would be better for them to go out of Business, they give the whole town of Bisbee a bad name.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank rrvalenz
Tempe, Arizona
Reviewed December 3, 2009

Our stay at the Copper Queen Hotel in Bisbee, AZ. was nothing short of excellent. Tastefully furnished with beautiful antiques, and conveniently located in historic downtown Bisbee, the hotel was only a few minutes’ walking distance from shopping, art galleries, museums and restaurants. There's no parking immediately adjacent to the hotel, but plenty of parking around the corner at the YWCA.
We loved our room, with its comfortable beds and charming, turn-of-the-century décor. The room was clean and cozy, the bathroom clean and updated. Instead of mints on the pillows, we enjoyed fresh, chocolate chip cookies.
We were impressed with the friendly, efficient staff, and the food served in the hotel’s Winchester Restaurant was delicious and comparably priced. Although it was too cold to try it, there was a pool and patio area behind the hotel. The TV had video game capability, so my son could play with his PlayStation 2, while I explored the hotel and took pictures.
There's a ghost tour every Thursday night, and the hotel was featured on the Sci Fi channel’s “Ghost Hunters.” Was the place haunted? Well, a couple of weird things happened that couldn’t be explained.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much, and would return for a future visit. The hotel's centralized location makes it convenient for visiting Tombstone, Sierra Vista, Douglas or even Mexico. Old West charm and hospitality, in an historic building with modern amenities, makes this the perfect place for a family vacation or weekend getaway.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bisbee
The Tombstone Grand Hotel
Sierra Suites
#1 of 22 in Sierra Vista
The Gardens At Mile High Ranch
School House Inn Bed & Breakfast

Been to Copper Queen Hotel? Share your experiences!