All reviews copper queen historic hotel spirit room cafe restaurant roosevelt room french dip live music in the bar couple drinks second floor john wayne room ghost tour rooms are small claw tub in town mining history very nice place to stay ice machine
Reviewed October 23, 2017

First of all, let me start with mentioning how rude the front desk staff is. They basically did not want to give you the time of day. If you walked in off the street and walked up the stairs, or went up the elevator, they looked at you suspiciously. No friendliness at all. Check in was like being in line for the soup Nazi on Seinfeld. They only friendly and kind person I met in that entire hotel was the hostess to the new restaurant, "1902 The Spirit Room". Kudos to you young lady. Being in the travel industry myself, I know how far a little kindness goes.

There is no place to add the new restaurant, as we went on their soft opening night 10/20/2017. I don't even know the official name. I think it's called the Spirit Room. The dishes were so beautiful, the decorations amazing. Reminded me of the Titanic. I had Chicken and my husband the shrimp. We had a wedge salad. All portions were small, and the prices high, but the experience was worth it. I was a bit disturbed that the server took the beautiful crystal candle off our table, but left it on everyone else's table. It was my husbands birthday. Other than that, it was beautiful. The food was flavorless. Had to ask for salt and pepper. Very bland. Loved the leaded crystal glasses though.

The Bar: Catered to the 40-50 year olds. Loved it. Dave was the bar tender. Nice guy. Serious, and very busy. Very pleasant music. Band in their 40s-50s playing something like folk with violin, guitar and drums. Enjoyed it. Drinks on special seemed watered down. Full price drinks were strong.

Hotel Room: Because we booked last minute, and the 1000 step race was on that weekend, we got the smallest room in the hotel. Must have been 10 x 12. Tiny bathroom, tiny toilet. My husband ran into the toilet in the middle of the night because it was less than a foot away from the door. Nice wallpaper. Time period friendly. Lots of dust under the bed, broken things. This room is off by itself down a little hall. Kind of creepy. Was it once the maids room? A utility closet? A air conditioning blocked the view. Had to stand on chair to peek through a crack in the window to see the sunrise. The air conditioning unit was very loud and woke us up every time it turned on. Bed was a double. Not too much room but fairly comfortable. Headboard was completely disconnected.

The shower had a very large waterfall type shower head. You get all excited about it, and find out only a few of the streams work, and you get one large dribble on your head. If you wanted to rinse soap out, fhad to give it an hour.

Nice looking pool. Ice cold in October. Would be nice in the summer.

The coffee and muffins in the morning were a nice touch. The muffins were the kind you buy in a pre proccessed bags, like at walmart. Homemade would be a nice touch.

We told many locals around town about our room, and they looked at us funny and asked, "Seen any ghosts?" We laughed. I am a paranormal investigator, but did not do any investigating on this weekend. My husband hates it. I did have a man whisper "Karen" in my ear at 3 AM, and my husband said that a dog that sounded like a pit bull barked in his ear around the same time. I got my SB7 out while my husband was in the shower and got a "Mornin' " from a nice sounding lady spirit. We had a pretty good time here. I would come back, but get a nicer room. Book a lot further out.

Last note: WIFI If you care anything about it, don't book this hotel. Works 1% of the time. It's free for a reason. It just does not work. No free wifi anywhere in Bisbee. No body plays on their phones. Just leave them home. Even your carriers wifi does not work. Too many hills and brick buildings.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank azis4me
Helen L, Owner at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2017

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We just purchased the property in 2017 and are in the process of renovating and improving it to bring it back to its former glory. Our first major renovation was the dining room and kitchen. I’m glad you appreciated all the hard work and loving care we took in creating a period correct dining room. Let me assure you we have received excellent reviews on our food thus far and are continuing to make minor improvements on it so the feedback is greatly appreciated!! This is why we choose the soft opening. We aim to please the most discriminating palates and we are lucky to have such a wonderful kitchen staff creating our dishes. Some of our tables were smaller upon the initial opening which is why your candle may have been removed. We have since replaced the smaller tables with larger ones that should be able to accommodate room for the candle unless you order one of our larger appetizers or menu items that can take up quite a bit of space.

During our soft opening, we are only open for dinner, but will soon be adding lunch and breakfast and will be working on making some homemade muffins as well.

I’m sorry you had a bad experience with the front desk staff. Please contact us for a description of this employee with regards to their manner. We are always looking to make sure every guest is made to feel welcome.

I’m so pleased that you intend on coming back and be assured that there are more good things in store for this beautiful old hotel that we love so much. We are working hard to make our historic antique hotel shine.

Reviewed October 15, 2017

The Copper Queen hotel is obviously a historical hotel and we expected it to look like an older hotel would look. Our room was clean and nice, and my only complaint was that we were above the bar, in a corner room, and the music of the bar was a little loud for our taste. (But it stopped promptly at 10:00 PM!) Plus there was a VERY bright porch light next door to us - but that's not the hotel's fault. The dining room was being remodeled, so there was no food service, but the coffee service the hotel offers in the morning on the 2nd fllor was very nice.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed October 13, 2017 via mobile

We arrived late at night. Our room smelled sickly stinky like it hadn’t been opened up in 100 years. We specifically requested a room with no ghost, but after we regained our composure from the overwhelming aroma we saw a ghost standing on the bed! It was a non refundable room, but were more than happy to make a quick exit and drive to a non haunted hotel 30 minutes away.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Jana B
Reviewed September 21, 2017

Well where do I start? First off I was a little surprised by the 50.00 deposit, when I booked my stay there was no mention of this. Secondly, I hope you are fit or brought your own Bellhop, because there is no where to park and if you are lucky enough to find parking know that you will be lugging your own luggage. Bisbee is all stairs and uphill for those of you not fit enough to do so. To be fair, the staff did say I could park in the front to unload and use the one baggage cart they have and then park my vehicle. Which meant leaving my luggage un-attended while I searched for parking then jog back up to the hotel up the hill. I did have an ice chest filled with champagne and wine but left it in the car due to the fact that I would have to carry this around and take it back to the car after my stay. The hotel was under reconstruction, just my luck this was not mentioned at the time I was booking my stay. I did enjoy my stay in spite of all this. I took a very nice cool dip in the pool and enjoyed a restaurant across the hotel called 'The Table'. Excellent food! Wonderful experience, I highly recommend this delicious really cool restaurant. My Wedge Salad was out of this world, pared perfectly with my light bodied German wine. I also went back for dinner and had a delicious Burger and Onion Rings. To die for! Back to my review, although the hotel is supposed to be haunted, I slept like a baby. Clean but old! Nostalgic, the staff could be a little friendlier, and oh' the ghost tour did not run the night I was there. I booked a very joyful ghost tour around town in a golf cart with a great tour guide! As I was leaving I did ask if there was any room that was special in case I return, like a big tub. The desk clerk did tell me that I could have requested a claw tub, nice to know, I would have picked a room with just the amenity. Enough said, just know there is no coffee pot in room, no microwave, all this is on the 2nd floor of the hotel 24 hrs a day! Really creaky floors, I think the stairs and flooring are all original to the hotel because I creaked around that place every time I walked. They do have a cool balcony you can sit at from 8am to 8pm I believe. This is really nice if you enjoy overlooking Bisbee and want to read a nice book!. Hotel is smacked dab in the middle of town and you can walk anywhere. Antique stores, bars, of which there are many, restaurants, bookstores, etc. If you like feeling like you are in the early 1900's then this is the hotel for you! They do have a bar by the way! There is a Teddy Roosevelt room and a John Wayne room.

Sandra Calderon

Room tip: "There is a 50.00 deposit" "Terrible parking" "Ask if construction is done, know its very old, every hotel is though"
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
2  Thank Sandra c
Reviewed September 17, 2017 via mobile

Entrance: nice

Upkeep: nonexistant

Staff: worst in Bisbee(and surrounding)

Room: bring your own sanitizer and cleaning supplies. Wallpaper peeling and smells bad and doors dont latch all the way. For the price, you would think you could at least have a mini fridge in the rooms...none do.

Rate: I wouldn't pay more than $50-$60/per night.

Maintenance and overall keep up of the building: HAHAHAHA

Food/restaurant: closed til next year sometime so no place to eat in there. Have to go down and around the block to find anything worth spending $15 for an overcooked hamburger or steak.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Robert C
Helen L, Owner at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2017

I’m sorry you were not happy with your stay. We just bought the property in January and are in the process of renovating and restoring the entire property. Our first restoration was the entire dinning room and kitchen. Our staff of 20 housekeepers keep our rooms very clean and we have many reviews to show this. Our doors latch but are an older style which is part of the charm. Many people, myself included, love this old quirky antique and historic building. We are listed on the national register of historic places. If you had a bad experience with one of our staff members, I apologize for this. Please contact us for a description of this person. Some of our rooms do have mini fridges and during our renovation process we will be putting them in all the rooms. Our restored restaurant is now open as well.