All reviews copper queen historic hotel spirit room cafe restaurant roosevelt room french dip live music in the bar couple drinks second floor john wayne room ghost tour rooms are small claw tub in town mining history very nice place to stay ice machine
Reviewed May 29, 2017

A quick weekend over-night sister get away. Double queen room was not as pictured or described on web page. Not well maintained with blinds that didn't work, peeling wall paper, holes in the wall where they attempted to fasten the headboards to the wall, dirty-hard water stains, mismatched paint, old beds with a foam mattress, thin worn sheets, no microwave or refrigerator...I could go on but why bother. Over priced and the best maintained area was the lobby. It may say it is a no smoking hotel but because of the bar and lounge area, the smell of cigarette smoke wafted into the hotel. Just not at all what we expected.

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2017 via mobile

Horrible. No wonder AAA does not list in guide. Beds from last century, linens threadbare. Worse, middle of night dirty water poured from ceiling on to us in bed. Nightgown soaked. Called desk, put us in another OLD room. Had to shower, yuk! When checking out thought I should get free room or major adjustment. Offered $15. Good location, but dirty and run down

Date of stay: May 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie E G
Copperqueen, Manager at Copper Queen Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2017

Good Afternoon, sorry to hear out the horrible experience you had encounter here at the property. I took it upon myself to refund your credit card $40.00 hopefully that makes up for what had happened. Guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Our hotel is an older one so we do not measure up to the modernization that guest are not used to.
Copper Queen Staff and Management

Reviewed May 6, 2017

Maybe it was me. I had heard amazing things about the Copper Queen. Visiting the website seemed to confirm the charm and elegance of this old hotel, as well as the elegant room price. Undeterred, on a recent Bisbee excursion my wife and I stayed at the Queen. Our visit was nice, but not all that special. Don't get me wrong. We'll probably be back, but our first visit had a bit of learning curve.

I reserved us the Julia Lowell room, which was clean and larger than other rooms in the hotel (i.e. more expensive). It was nicely appointed with antique accents which gave the room a bordello feel (no doubt in keeping with the room's namesake).

It also had enough modern accents (window A/C, cable TV) to make it feel homey. The bed was comfortable enough, but took some getting used to. At first it felt like the mattress might be sagging in toward the middle. But after two nights it seemed better somehow. The price for the room ($180 per night including tax) might seem a bit on the high side. But keep in mind that since all of the mining has left the area, this town survives principally on the tourist dollar.

My wife and I get off on old hotels. And haunted hotels. The Queen is indeed an old one and does have its share of antique charm and ghosts. I've stayed in better (The Hassayampa Inn in Prescott comes to mind), but I've also stayed in worse (The Hotel Monte Vista in Flagstaff).

Speaking of ghosts, no sign of the gentleman in the top hat or of Julia Lowell herself (I think she stayed away because I was with my wife). But we MIGHT have had an encounter with the nine-year-old boy who is also said to haunt the property. On our second night, I was startled awake by the slamming of a door and a child's giggling in the hall outside of our room. This is one of the pranks typical of this young ghost. However, I was too worn out to investigate and instead went back to sleep.

Things to keep in mind: On the upside this hotel is the only hotel in Bisbee with a pool, and it has it's own saloon attached to it as well. It also has a restaurant that I had heard wonderful things about. Unfortunately, it was under renovation during our stay.

On the downside, parking is a bit of an issue. In this mining town, parking is at a premium. The front desk crew was rather ambiguous about where to park when we arrived, so take this tip. The Copper Queen shares much of it's lot parking with the local YWCA and a hotel called the Bisbee Gym Club Suites. the parking lot is up the street west of the hotel, and means at least a 50-yard walk with your bags while checking in or out.

Remember what I said about a learning curve? Also on the downside is the layout of the town, which takes a bit of getting used to. Being a mining town, built into the side of a mountain, streets are narrow in spots and zig and zag up and down the mountain. They are also not well marked when it comes to signage and whether a street is one way or two way. It took us a couple of days to figure out the best ways to come "down the mountain".

One other thing: This hotel requires a $50 room deposit with each check-in, in case any "damage is done." It is not specified on the website when you book, but it is completely refundable.

The town of Bisbee has a lot to offer. And I have no doubt that the Copper Queen is one of the nicer hotels in town. Do your research and see what you think. We had a nice enough visit to warrant a second one. If you like old hotels, I think the Copper Queen is worth at least one visit, maybe two.

2  Thank Travellingphoenix64

Hi good afternoon. Thank you for your comments on The Copper Queen Hotel. We take all good and or negative comments and try to make your next trip better.

Reviewed May 6, 2017

This was yet another return to the Copper Queen - we had stayed there a number of times over the years. This time, to our chagrin, we found that the dining room had been closed for about two months and may not open soon. Overall, we love the old hotel but wish she would be given some loving care. For instance, there is some lovely old iron works at the front that needs many coats of paint removed and the original iron works tastefully restored. The lounge terrace tables and stools are a disgrace and the lounge has not seen an update in years. That wooden lattice woodwork hanging on the iron stanchions should go and those tacky string lights? Ugh. The old lady CQ doesn't need them. Find something more to her period. In summary, all our comments are intended as constructive in nature; we have been there and will return. Bisbee has no equal and the CQ is a must on any bucket list.

Room tip: For a unique experience pay extra $$$ and sleep in the John Wayne room.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Spacer41
Reviewed May 4, 2017 via mobile

This hotel is old west charming. You can't help but like it if you enjoy the history in this mining town. The staff are great and the bar is always busy. Bisbee is a great place to buy some local art, go on a tour, relax, or hike. The trip is not complete unless you spend a night at the Copper Queen and maybe even go on a ghost tour.

Date of stay: October 2016